• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Waiver Turnaround Time

JSnake

I was pro-rec'ed for BDCP NFO a couple of months back. However, my exam at MEPS has me NPQ because my eyes were only correctable to 20/25. Knowing this is bull, since I see 20/15 with glasses, I got a letter from my optometrist and submitted it to my OR for the medical waiver, per his instructions. It's been weeks now and my OR is still waiting to hear back from the medical waiver determination. Did anyone else go through a similar case? Any idea how long this will take before I can finally get my final select? Thanks.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I had similar vision correction issues. The optometrists letter did the trick, but it took about 4 weeks for my waiver to arrive at the OR
Hope this puts your mind at ease..

JSnake

Awesome, that makes me feel better. I shouldn't have to wait too much longer then I suppose.

Just curious though, what did you have your optometrist put down in the letter? I didn't really receive any guidelines to what the optometrist needed to write, and when he asked me, I just told him to just write down my corrected vision and some refraction numbers. Is that all that's required?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
You can always call the Physical Standards people and ask about your waiver. Look at the Waiver Guide link at the top of this forum and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Just curious though, what did you have your optometrist put down in the letter? I

I actually have the letter here.
To whom it may concern, On Date XX of XX, 2009, So and So's full eye exam revealed unaided visual acuity of (Not Good Enough Numbers). With vision correction his visual acuity was (Good Enough Numbers).
If there is any further info you require, please do not hesitate to contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX
Sincerely,
Doctor

Seriously, that's all they needed to give me a waiver

JSnake

Wow... they should really just take better eye exams at MEPS and save themselves and us from wasting precious time. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem for me then. Thanks guys.

nugget61

pilot
You shouldn't need a waiver.
I had the same exact problem at MEPS. When I got my 1v1 time with the doc there I told her that her equipment was faulty, got a call off to my eye doc, had my real results faxed over and she OKed me at MEPS.

To answer the waiver time Q, I just got my PRK waiver after just over 10 weeks of waiting. GL.

JSnake

You shouldn't need a waiver.
I had the same exact problem at MEPS. When I got my 1v1 time with the doc there I told her that her equipment was faulty, got a call off to my eye doc, had my real results faxed over and she OKed me at MEPS.

To answer the waiver time Q, I just got my PRK waiver after just over 10 weeks of waiting. GL.

Damn I wish I could've known that earlier. That would've saved me a lot of time. It never crossed my mind to challenge the doc right there and then at MEPS.

nombrescreeno

Challenging might not be the best idea at MEPS...

That said, if you actually look at the CNRC website with directives, the manual for officer recruiting actually states that your optometrist or ophthalmologist report basically supersedes whatever MEPS finds, so you'll be fine.

What'll probably happen is that you'll get a letter back after a long wait (4+ weeks seems to be the norm lately, they're backed up it seems) saying that so and so is physically qualified, proceed with processing