• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Waiver for ACL Surgeries

BorgImo

Hi all, I'm looking to attend OCS after I graduate college next year. A concern I have is regarding my medical history with multiple ACL surgeries , in my freshman year of high school (7 years ago) I tore my ACL playing football, then after having surgery I re-tore my graph trying to come back for spring training camp. I had surgery again, and after rehabbing it, played football and ran track for the rest of my highschool career, as well as ski every winter. My recruiter seems to think as I currently have no issues with it (full range of motion, no instability/lack of strength, indistinguishable from my other knee) getting a waiver should be a no brainer. Can anybody verify, or speak on the chances of getting a waiver for this type of thing?

Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

Hi all, I'm looking to attend OCS after I graduate college next year. A concern I have is regarding my medical history with multiple ACL surgeries , in my freshman year of high school (7 years ago) I tore my ACL playing football, then after having surgery I re-tore my graph trying to come back for spring training camp. I had surgery again, and after rehabbing it, played football and ran track for the rest of my highschool career, as well as ski every winter. My recruiter seems to think as I currently have no issues with it (full range of motion, no instability/lack of strength, indistinguishable from my other knee) getting a waiver should be a no brainer. Can anybody verify, or speak on the chances of getting a waiver for this type of thing?

Thanks!
MEPS will probably say they won't physical you, then your recruiter will get NRC to push it and you will then have to get the physical and have some specialty consults. N3M will then review and make a decision, the thing to remember is when something is a DQ factor it is "currently or history of" in this case "history of" is what could be an issue.

It is worth trying to see what will happen, just realize you are going to jump through a bunch of hoops.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
42%...

For real... injuries / surgeries like those are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. None of us here have access to your records or can see the exact details. Regardless of the actual odds or what your recruiter says, just try for the waiver and both hope for the best or brace for the worse.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Case by case basis.
If it means anything, I recently commissioned with a guy who needed a waiver for his knee due to ALC surgeries. He was qualified by NAMI and the waiver was granted.

Mode

Not sure what designator you're going for, but I'm an SNA. I had one ACL reconstruction 4 years ago and was granted a waiver by NAMI. They just took an X-ray, moved my leg around, had me do a couple single leg jumps, and reviewed my surgery documents. It was really not a big deal at all. Not sure how multiple surgeries on the same knee changes things, but it truly is case by case and you won't know for sure until you try. I'm on multiple med waivers and honestly never thought I'd get qualified, but here I am. My biggest advice to you is don't DQ yourself, let the Navy be the one to tell you no.