• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Hi all, just for a little background, I'm an IT1 with right at 6 years in. I will be dropping a package this year, but I'm a little worried about a couple of things. First, I had a motorcycle wreck while I was in Italy a few years ago...long story short, I now have a plate and seven screws on my clavicle (collar bone)...I have full range of motion, but will this cause me to not pass the flight physical. (I'm hoping for NFO). Also, I take Zyrtec once a day for allergies...I have never actually been diagnosed but they gave it to me for the symptoms I had (itchy watery eyes etc.) I don't always need it, but it does help. Will that keep me from passing the physical also? Just wantong to get some insight before I go for the physical. My vision is 20/40 and 20/50 with astigmatism, but with contacts/glasses it is 20/20....Thanks for the info in advance,

IT1

Dustball

2nd LT
You should talk to a flight surgeon. My last flight physical I was under the impression that if you had screws or plates they were concerned. My nose had been broken before and thats the first thing they asked me. As far as the allergies that could be a problem. Again you'll need to talk to a flight surgeon to see if you had been misdiagnosed but I know hayfever can be a DQ. Don't get nervous yet many things are waiverable go talk to one or call one up on the phone that would be your best source of information. Don't trust everything you read on a forum.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have allergies and am taking Allegra. I passed NOMI just fine. I don't even need a waiver for it according to the flight doc. Apparently allergies are fine as long as they are treatable with the SMALL number of approved meds. I think Allerga and Flonase are the only kosher ones. I'd ask a flight doc for the details, but I wouldn't worry about the allergies overmuch.

BigSkyGuy

ENS, SC, USNR
I had surgery on my left shoulder and I have seasonal allergies as well. When I had my physical at MEPS (I'm supply, not a pilot or NFO slot) the Dr. stated that if I had had hardware put into the shoulder a waiver would have been required. The allergies were/are not an issue. I buy Claritin OTC and am prescribed Flonase and that was not an issue.

spiritmachine23

history of Ritalin disqualifying???

i have a medical question regarding ritalin, ive heard that a history of ritalin after the age of 12 is disqualifying, but that they give waivers for it. does anyone know how often they give waivers?? and on what grounds they give them?? i took ritalin when i was in grade school and middle school but haven't had it in 5 or 6 years. would it be possible for me to get a waiver?? also how do waivers affect your chances of getting a SNA slot do vision or other medical waivers hurt your chances of getting selected?? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.