• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical question

Zach7177

Hello,

I've researched some about this topic. Just curious if anyone has experience with this.

I was born with a benign heart murmur. Completely innocent.

I have grown out of it as expected by my doc. I'm currently in the application process of navy ocs and the goal is to go aviator.

I have a FAA class 1 Medical with no restrictions, PPL,working on instrument and finishing up college as an aviation major.

My question is it worth bringing up to my recruiter? Also will they pull all my civilian records? If they do and end up seeing my murmur history do you think I'll have a problem being that I have grown out of it?

Thanks,

Appreciate any information.

Zach

afsf1

1) You should bring it up
2) They will have any civilian records you give them (There is no central repository of medical records and they will not be checking every medical facility worldwide for your records)
3) I very much doubt it but would defer this to someone more knowledgeable, perhaps @NavyOffRec or @RUFiO181

Zach7177

Alright, thats reassuring knowing they won't pull everything. Thanks I contacted your references.

Zach

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have a duty to disclose any condition that may affect whether or not you're physically qualified for service or aviation training. Be honest and upfront about your condition, even though you may be asymptomatic. Your condition may be waiverable, or it may not, but let the professionals make that call and assume that risk on your behalf.

Some additional info: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc...vier Guid Sept 2014/03_Cardiology_140826r.pdf
CD=Considered Disqualifying
NCD=Not Considered Disqualifying

Zach7177

Thank you for that link. I opened up to him last night about my past murmur. I'm not worried though, as it was innocent and I do not have it anymore. I can't see any reason why I am not fit for flight.

Thanks everyone.

If anyone has more thoughts on this topic, please feel welcome to post.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Zach,
Given that you've checked the "Heart Murmur" box on your medical history, you might end up with an echocardiogram at NAMI should you make it that far. If you've already had one, bring the results and the video if possible. The aeromedical waiver guide has specific sections on each of the murmurs, and how they are handled WRT the waiver recommendation process.
R/

Zach7177

That's fine if they do tests. I'll past them. I hope they do. That way they can have all their own results. I was worried if it would be an automatic DQ for a flight physical.