• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Question: Is this doctor correct?

Zee916

Hey guys.

First post. Done lots of reading though.

I first have to say I have alot of respect for all the guys on this board. I have learned a ton from reading your responses and only hope to better my understanding of Naval aviation.

My question is rather specific and I wasn't quite sure what section to put it on so I thought the broadest might be the best place to start.

I want to become a naval aviator. My problem is my eyes. I am just slightly near-sighted, like 200/20 in both eyes.

I heard a radio commercial from a doctor that said they perform "eye surgery for aspiring military pilots." The way I have gained information about this is that if you need the surgery, the Navy has to perform it after you are enlisted and in training.

Well, I called this doctor and asked him point blank what he meant on his advertisement. He told me without question that he has performed what he called "flight surgery" on numerous patients and was certified with the Navy and Marine Corps to do this for them before they went into service.

If this is true, this is my godsend. The absolutely only thing holding me down from flying is my eyes it seems.

Is this doctor telling me the truth or blowing smoke up my you know what.......?

I greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Zach Taylor

FastMover

NFO
None
It sounds like you heard a commercial for PRK, which is currently the only corrective surgery accepted for Naval Aviation. Provided that you're a good candidate for the surgery, you can have it done and apply for a pilot slot.

I had it done in March of 2007 and the results were amazing. Do a search here for PRK and you'll find lots of info. Good luck!

Zee916

Yes, it is the PRK surgery.

I have an appointment on Monday to talk with the doctor. So we will see how that goes.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Good luck brotha... I had PRK in '03. Best thing ever. 20/400 when I sat in the chair, now, 20/20 (I got short changed..).

Kep us posted on how its all going for you... and welcome.

nugget61

pilot
Yes, it is the PRK surgery.

I have an appointment on Monday to talk with the doctor. So we will see how that goes.

You can get the PRK to correct your vision to meet the reqs (and only prk), HOWEVER you must meet certain pre-op conditions. Before you shell out the $$$ for the surgery, make sure that you can get in after it. If you search some on here you'll find the reqs that you have to meet now.