• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Issue and NROTC Marine Option Question

tm292000

Hello Everyone!

I a few questions about the NAMI medical process which hopefully someone on here would be able to answer.:)

I had sinus surgery done last week (which I am currently still recovering from). The ENT surgeon originally had done the operation after finding evidence of chronic sinusitis which was found on the CT scan. However, post operation the doctor had told me that he also removed a nasal polyp which he found in a part of my nasal cavity. Now after my surgery I had done some researched and looked up the NAMI standards for non-winged and non flight student personnel (aka. entrance standards or civilian standards) and had found something which could potentially be an issue.

For Chronic Sinusitis: "Civilian applicants with a history of chronic sinusitis are NPQ. A waiver shouldn't be requested unless he or she is free of disease, as indicated by a recent ENT consultation with documentation of an endoscopic examination and on some occasions, a sinus CT. If surgery has been done, enclose any pre- and postoperative notes as well as the operative report. In addition, some evidence of the applicant's ability to handle pressure changes, regardless of treatment method, should be documented."

If my recovery goes well, a waiver for Chronic Sinusitis should be pretty straight forward.

However... For nasal polyps it's a whole different story

For Nasal Polyps: ": Civilian applicants with nasal polyps present at the time of examination are CD, no waiver. They may be considered for waiver if the polyps were surgically removed more than three years earlier, have required no subsequent surgical treatment, and have not recurred."

This one is a bit more tricky. To make things less complicated, lets just assume that these nasal polyps don't re-occur. So the potential issue with this statement is "They may be considered for waiver if the polyps were surgically removed more than three years earlier". Now I plan to enroll in NROTC as a Marine Option Student this fall and I have heard that If you do well on the ASTB and pass the flight physical you are "guaranteed" a shot to flight school after attending OCS and TBS. As far as I know (from reading various posts on this forum) is that if you are an NROTC Marine Option student with a desire to enter the aviation community, that they want you to take the ASTB and take a flight physical as soon as you let them know. Now the Issue with this is that I have to wait " 3 years" before I have the chance to get the waiver due to my nasal polyp removal.

So my questions are:
  1. When the NAMI standards say something like "wait 3 years before a waiver is considered", how strictly followed are those guidelines followed and is there any way for getting accepted in a shorter period of time?"
  2. As a Marine Option Student in NROTC. How late are you able to apply to become a pilot or NFO (within the 4 years of NROTC) and still be "guarenteed" a flight contract?
Thank you, everyone, for reading and I appreciate any feedback this as this was my first post on this site! ?

Source of NAMI waiver guide that I found: https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/06_ENT.pdf

Last edited:

BarryD

Contributor
Welcome,
I think you can apply as 1/C, as I've heard of upper-class Marine Options thinking about wanting to fly who don't have air contracts. I'll see if I can't find out. You can always fight at TBS to get one of the few slots as well.

By the time you commission, there won't be any Marine NFOs in any pipeline (the last are going through now), as they're not selecting anymore via OSO and they only had one select from USNA this year.

Good luck. Have you had the pleasure of going through DODMERB yet?

tm292000

Welcome,
I think you can apply as 1/C, as I've heard of upper-class Marine Options thinking about wanting to fly who don't have air contracts. I'll see if I can't find out. You can always fight at TBS to get one of the few slots as well.

By the time you commission, there won't be any Marine NFOs in any pipeline (the last are going through now), as they're not selecting anymore via OSO and they only had one select from USNA this year.

Good luck. Have you had the pleasure of going through DODMERB yet?

Thanks for the input!

In response to your question. I have not taken the DODMERB. I will be required to take it soon if I am selected for the NROTC-MO 4 year scholarship, but I have not heard from my OSO on the results of the February scholarship selection board yet.

BarryD

Contributor
Thanks for the input!

In response to your question. I have not taken the DODMERB. I will be required to take it soon if I am selected for the NROTC-MO 4 year scholarship, but I have not heard from my OSO on the results of the February scholarship selection board yet.
Roger, I forgot that NROTC doesn't reach out to DoDMERB until they pick people up, as where they send all the Academy applicants during the process.

My DODMERB exam was the most successful part of my Academy application :D.

Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

you also need to look at new accession guidelines, there are things that once you get pass new accession guidelines that NAMI will review, but sometimes those new accession guidelines will hold you up. The good thing is you are young and even if NROTC doesn't work out you can still work hard in college and apply down the road.