• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical for Civ Flying

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Searched and couldn't find this, so what's the reg's on us needing a medical certificate to fly out in the civ world? I know what the FAR's say for the regular civilian pilot. I "thought" I heard somewhere that military pilots are considered current wrt to a medical as long as they are good on their annual flight physical, equal to a class II medical certificate. Any truth to that?

If that's not the case, can anyone recommend a good, cheap Doc in the P-cola area to get the FAA med exam?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not true. I thought this as well and was disabused of the notion. Wings will get you the ability to take the miltary competency exam if you meet certain requirements (currency I believe), but you need a civilian medical. Which is annoying.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Branch Medical :icon_wink. You'll get a third class medical for IFS (assuming you're not IFS complete).

Thats correct. I got my PPL in 2002 right when I joined the navy as an enlisted aircrewman. I thought that my annual flight physical might count as my FAA medical, but after doing the research, I was wrong.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Branch Medical :icon_wink. You'll get a third class medical for IFS (assuming you're not IFS complete).

Well, I wing on January 11th, so yeah, I'm IFS complete. :D

Does anyone know if Branch Medical will give a third class exam if it's not for IFS? I've taken the mil comp exam, but I don't really need the class II medical for the commercial flying just yet. I'm mainly just want to go rent a Cessna to take the wife flying.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is one doc there who said he'll get it, but not sure he's had time yet. The FAA cracked down on that whole thing a while back, but as far as I know, it still can happen. The problem is that the docs aren't too motivated to get it because once word gets out, their schedule gets slammed.

phrogpilot73

There is one doc there who said he'll get it, but not sure he's had time yet. The FAA cracked down on that whole thing a while back, but as far as I know, it still can happen. The problem is that the docs aren't too motivated to get it because once word gets out, their schedule gets slammed.
I'd agree. I got my first class II from a flight surgeon, and it was a back door deal, arranged by my flight surgeon (I took her flying, so she felt she owed me). I was sworn to secrecy so that no one would find out he had his FAA write off.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd agree. I got my first class II from a flight surgeon, and it was a back door deal, arranged by my flight surgeon (I took her flying, so she felt she owed me). I was sworn to secrecy so that no one would find out he had his FAA write off.

I didn't know the Navy was accepting the transgendered now.

Brett

Flugelman

Contributor
Back in the day, (60's - 70's) I would get a Class II from the Flight Surgeon at the same time I took my Annual flight physical. Don't know if they can still do that or not.

HuggyU2

None
In the USAF, we usually have 1 or 2 flt docs at each base that have gone through the FAA course in Ok City, and are capable of giving you a Class II in conjunction with your annual. Unlike the responses given here, it's a benefit that they don't hide from us. You just have to ask.
Starting 10 Sept 08, there will be a provision allowing your mil medical to count. I don't know how it will be implemented.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the USAF, we usually have 1 or 2 flt docs at each base that have gone through the FAA course in Ok City, and are capable of giving you a Class II in conjunction with your annual. Unlike the responses given here, it's a benefit that they don't hide from us. You just have to ask.
Starting 10 Sept 08, there will be a provision allowing your mil medical to count. I don't know how it will be implemented.

I think the issue you're seeing posted about here is due to who would want the medicals. It's the training command, ie the stepping stone to another job, whatever that might be. So, there's lots of demand for FAA medicals so that everyone can go get their ME/CFI/ATP/LMNOP before they submit for jobs and interviews.

I remember reading about the provision. All of these provisions are great, but no one seems to know the details, other than that they're pretty sure to happen.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Just go out in town and pay a local doc 60 bucks and you'll have your FAA 3rd class (which is all you need for recreational flying) med certificate good for 36 months.