• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Benefits for Dependents

AndreasW

Hi All,

I had a question about medical benefits. When would me wife and son be eligible for medical benefits/insurance through the military? Would it be when I receive my commission, or when I enter OCS? Thanks in advance for any information anyone has.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
I could be wrong but it should be as soon as you sign the paperwork. You are officially active duty and all benefits should apply. Ask you OR or call Tricare for the best info.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Your dependents will be eligible as soon as they have been enrolled in DEERS. I do not know when this happens for OCS candidates. Just remember that until they are in the system, they don't exist.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Your dependents will be eligible as soon as they have been enrolled in DEERS. I do not know when this happens for OCS candidates. Just remember that until they are in the system, they don't exist.
True statement, as soon as you are able to, get them enrolled. At the same time they may also qualify for dependant ID cards for base access.

Coulanon

1 per diem, 2 per diem, 3 per diem, floor!
Got this info from my NRD when I swore in last week. When you sign the papers you are placed in an IRR status until you report to OCS, so not able to enter any dependents into DEERS until you go active, i.e. when your report to OCS. Same timeline for ID cards I believe.

AndreasW

All,

Thanks for the great info. Being eligible once you are active duty- during OCS- makes sense. Thanks again.