• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

medevac pilots

nyy

I was just curious what kind of demand there is for medevac or search and rescue pilots these days?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
are you talking military or civi?? If you are talking military, at least in the Navy and Marine Corps, there are no units that one can select out of flight school that are specifically tasked with solely those missions. SAR is a mission that all helo crews are capable of (to varying extents of course.) If you are talking civi side, Chuck would be the one to answer.

Lawman

None
There is a lot more to medevac then just plucking hurt people out of the woods with a helicopter. For example you have Medevac transport maintained by the Air Force, where they retrofit cargo planes with Litters and airlift multiple patients out to a more capable facility. You see this a lot with our present operations in the Gulf and Afganistan. They used to have the C-9 as a sole medivac mission aircraft (on which my father spent many a day) but that has been farmed out to other aircraft. If you mean what groups do missions as primary Search and Rescue, your best demand would be with the coast guard. I think we have one or two coasties floating around this forum somewhere, but I cant remember their names. Also the AF PJ units maintain a high capability for Combat Search and Rescue, many are stationed up in the New England area to both train in bad conditions (ever been to NE you'd know) and to augment civilian capabilities in time of need.

There are still a couple of Medivac units in the AF stationed in differnt places. Cant really speak for the Navy side, since thats not what I grew up in. My father was Air Force, hey we all make mistakes sometimes.

nyy

I was interested in becoming a helicopter pilot but this forum is really geared more towards jet pilots. I'm not exactly sure what possible roads there are to take.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nyy said:
I was interested in becoming a helicopter pilot but this forum is really geared more towards jet pilots. I'm not exactly sure what possible roards there are to take.

where'd you get that idea?

There are more non-jet pilots on this forum than jet guys. Now, if you're talking wannabes, that's another issue entirely.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
nyy said:
I was just curious what kind of demand there is for medevac or search and rescue pilots these days?

One word...KATRINA...

there will always be a need for search and rescue so long as there is a military or weather...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I ASSURE you this isn't just for jet guys (or wannabes). There's plenty of us around that wouldn't let that happen. Heck, we'd even join forces w/ those short bus Orion kids. ;)