• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mechanical Section: Principles vs. Equations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack

I have read almost all of the threads on the site regarding the ASTB and the gouge from the Marine Corp Study guide seems mostly geared towards physics principles. The Marine Corp study guide goes through a few formulas etc. but then the practice problems are all principles. I do see some here going very deep into physics equations to solve problems. So how much of the mechanical section consists of calculations and how much consists of general mechanical principles? I just don't want to go in for the test and be surprised. Thanks.

DairyCreamer

You don't have enough time in the mechanical comprehension to sit and do lengthly physics calculations. At most itt'l be simple algebra, and a vast majority of it is simple in-head logic.

~Nate

Originally posted by shunter
I have read almost all of the threads on the site regarding the ASTB and the gouge from the Marine Corp Study guide seems mostly geared towards physics principles. The Marine Corp study guide goes through a few formulas etc. but then the practice problems are all principles. I do see some here going very deep into physics equations to solve problems. So how much of the mechanical section consists of calculations and how much consists of general mechanical principles? I just don't want to go in for the test and be surprised. Thanks.

Wolfpack

Thanks for your information. Have you taken the test yet? I would love to hear from someone who has taken the test as well? Thanks.

Eteled

Regarding the Mechanical Comprehension section: When I took the test (a week ago today), there were only a few questions that you might use an equation on. However, if you understood the principles behind the question you didn't need to use an equation. They aren't going to give you difficult questions or questions where the numbers don't work out nicely. They know you only have 30 seconds per question. They’re looking for your ability to reason.

Any problem that I might have used an equation on I could solve in my head without one. I was pretty familiar with these questions since I got my degree in physics though. Oh, none of these questions need “deep physics equations”. Classical Mechanics is a part of physics, albeit a rather easy one.

stevew

I think I'm a little weak in the mechanical comprehension area. Can someone recommend a good source to study. I didn't find the ARCO ASTB book or the USMC gouge to be much help, the ASVAB book has a mechanical section in it, would that be any good?

cessnajet1h

hey, Stevew
First, go to the library and try to get the Mechanical and Spatial comprehension by Arco, most libraries have it.....i studied that one for more examples and explanations to simple physics questions....the rest you should really study the Marine guage, and make sure you know it up and down, the principles of the questions that is....

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Hey... Let me break in here for a minute. I took the test, and I would suggest trying to learn some of the basic formulas as well as the principles if I had time. For example, know the basic formula for volume, and know how basic gear, pulley, and lever systems work. A little basic trig helps but isn't essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.