• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MECEP questions??

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't have to be exactly 500 words, they are more concerned with the content of the essay. One important piece of advice I will give out is to ensure that the package is properly formatted and that it contains everything required. I was accepted my third time applying for the program, the first two times I am certain that the package was rejected for administrative technicalities. If someone is assisting you with compiling items for the package and organizing it in the end, be sure to give it a once over prior to sending it off, don't rely on anyone, you have to make sure it is all correct.

Crowbar

None
Yeah, somehow I never put too much emphasis on 500 words (apparently it is in there, but it does say approximately) and worried more about including all the info it asked for.

Also, to add on to the administrative errors thing, just because you have an "education officer" in your unit doesn't convey any special knowledge on that person. Typically the education officer signs TA paperwork and doesn't know a whole lot about commissioning programs. Make sure you double check their work and are not afraid to tell them something is wrong.

Crowbar

None
I found my old statements. They were 1100, 1300, and 850 words in order I submitted them (FY00, 01, and 02).

Also, don't know if I mentioned this earlier, don't be afraid to 'draft' your own endorsements and report of interview board. You know best how to highlight your strengths and if you give the board and the CO some good things to work with they just might use it. My last year, I wrote my board report, squadron CO's and group CO's endorsements. The board read it and signed WHAT I GAVE THEM. So did the squadron CO. The group CO made one minor change to fix some wording he didn't like and signed what I had written.

HarrierMech

I just finished MECEP Prep this summer and the Colonel from MCRC that is the head chairmen for the selection board talked to us. We asked what was the most important thing that looked at in the selection process. He said there is no one thing in particular, but it is a combination of them all. He also said that incomplete packages were the cause of some not being selected. For those that are already in the MECEP program, they can tell you that the completion of your MECEP package is your responsibility, so don't expect no one to help you. When you do go to someone for help, you had better have everything ready so all they have to do is sign or whatever they have to do.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Wow, another AV-8B mechanic. I was powerline with VMA-513 from 99-04, I am a MECEP at The Citadel, if you have any questions about OCS, let me know, I just got back this past summer! Do you want to put in a flight package?

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
Did either of you guys have any waivers? What are your stats? PFT, SAT, AFQT, and what kind of awards did ya'll have also? Kinda curious to see how i compare. Thanks.

marinemommyof2

Just an FYI - they just posted the results of the MECEP selection board. Go to: https://www.marines.usmc.mil/main.htm and then click on AC/SG-3 and select officer programs, then enlisted to officer programs and then selection board statistics. There you can see the FY06 MECEP selectees scores vs. average applicant scores!

Crowbar

None
Actually, the results have been out for almost a month, but I hadn't looked at the stats until now. All I can say is...wow. 56% selection rate? It wasn't but a few years ago that there were ~1000 applications every year, with around 100-150 selected. I guess I just expected more than 231 people to apply. The year I got in, everybody was in shock because the selection rate was so high (28%). Wow.

marinemommyof2

Crowbar, sorry I mis-typed the reults part - I meant the results for the stats. Last year's results were right at 50% selection, too. I can only imagine that (out here at least) that the deployment rotations have really hampered the ability to put together a complete package.

Jrodlandruff- my husband got selected for FY06 MECEP. He had a high first class pft, an 89AFQT, and his letters of recommendation were from a GySgt, a Capt., and a Lt.Col. He (at that time) had received 2 NAMs. Probably the best part of his package? He enclosed his transcripts from his college classes he's been taking, and he has a very high GPA.

My superintendent (a retired Col) sat on a selection board. He said what others here have said - it's the overall package that makes the selection. And he said he did read the personal statements.

Crowbar is right - applicants are way down compared to years prior. So it's a good time to apply. Also look at MCP if you have college credits - it looked like a good percentage rate there, too.

Best of luck! The posters here have been a great help to my husband, I know they've got great advice.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

HarrierMech hit it right on the head: They aren't looking for any one thing, it is a total package deal.

I didn't know there was a word requirement for the essay either, I just covered everything they said to cover.

LORs: I would guess these aren't a huge huge deal, LOR's are all about opportunity. My LORs came from my Company CO (LtCol) and an Ambassador.

Personal Awards: This summer at MECEP prep, it was probably 50/50 Marines w/ Chesty Puller Stacks and Marines w/ just a few ribbons.

PFT: I would say 270+

BTW, I got accepted w/ an NJP, so that shows you don't need to have a 100% perfect record to get in. (Of course, they probably look long and hard at things like that, and other "blemishes.")

The Officer from MCRC that came to talk to us really pushed the "total package" concept and the fact that they are looking for a lot of diversity of people (not by physical characteristics), he was saying they are throwing around the idea of letting PFC's apply even, so they can have a good mix of all different types of people.

Harrier: How is UNM treating you? Send me an email man