• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MECEP questions??

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
I have questions for people who have put in MECEP packages. I am on active duty and have been in for about 7 years (25 yrs old). I have finally decided to get my act together and put in my mecep package. I know I will need an age waiver and am not worried about that. MY question is how competitive were your packages and what kind of personal awards did you guys have? Also as far as the writing the essay, is there emphasis put into that thing or is it mainly for handwriting analysis? I am getting started extremely early because i don't want any hangups along the way. I have read anything and everything I could find on the subject and i basically just wanted to hear some other people's personal experience with doing there packages. LOR's and command endorsement aren't a problem at all. I was just wondering if anyone had LOR's from any SgtsMaj or Mastergunz and if they think that would help also. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Semper Fi.

Crowbar

None
HueyCobra8151 is living the life right now, having just gone through MECEP Prep this summer. KBayDog (doesn't seem to come around here much anymore) and I went through in 2001 and 2002 respectively.

I got in my third year, so if you don't get in this time, there's still hope for you. I would go with what HC8151 says on the essay and LORs. By that last time I applied, I didn't give a damn about LORs, and my essay essentially said "This is my third year to apply, if you don't pick me, I'll apply again next year" which probably isn't the most sound advice to give somebody trying to get in for the first time. The only thing I will say about LORs is that I had a lot of people tell me that an officer selection board would be a lot happier to see LORs from officers vice SNCOs.

With that, I'm going to stop. Unless you have any more questions, which I will do my best to answer.

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
LOR's arent really a concern, I have a couple of LtCol's lined up and a full bird, what kind of personal awards did you have before you put in your package? One other question, I am going to put in for ground O, would it be better for me to have LOR's from ground officers?

Crowbar

None
Personal awards? NONE.

If you're going to get LORs you get them from who will give them to you. I don't know if the board gives more weight to letters from officers from certain MOSs.

powder

Take pictures of all of your tattoos.

Personal awards aren't really make-or-break items. Sure, if you have a really impressive NAM or NAVY COM it won't hurt, but it isn't something that the board stresses over. They know some commands are awards happy and others aren't.

Officers need to be able to communicate effectively, and your essay will show that. Additionally, it lets the board know a little about you, so put anything that isn't covered in the package that you want the board to consider in your essay.

As far as LORs go, I can't say for certain that an officer's letter will carry more weight than a Staff NCO's. However, it sounds like you have some flexibility as far as that goes. I would probably go for the officers. Additionally, letters from individuals that you've actually interacted with and who have seen you perform tend to carry more weight than some Colonel who your Dad knows.

From talking to members of the board, the items that seem to carry the most weight are a good military service record in general, academic achievement in both high school and any college you may have (they want to make sure that you'll succeed at school), and a decent PFT score (high first class).

Obviously, this is just my take on the process.

Crowbar

None
Something to add, in between now and when you apply, talk to whatever officers write your fitrep. Tell them your intentions and ask them if they can make appropriate (positive) comments about your potential for service as an officer, and to give you a break out (such as "in the top 5% of Sgts I have ever worked with" or "one of the top 3 SSgts I have ever had in my command") on your next fitrep(s). That advice was given to me both by MCRC and by the enlisted career counselors.

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
What do you guys say in your esays, do you go by the marine corps order and include everything it said or did you just write 500 words on why i want to be an officer? and what kind of stuff did you guys say?

Crowbar

None
Examples of what NOT to say in your essay:

-Because I am the best Marine who applied this year.

-Because if you don't pick me, you just screwed the Marine Corps out of a fine officer.

-Because I want more money.

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
did you guys keep your essays at 500 words exactly, cause i have one written up and it is 1000 words including all the info required by the MCO, I can take some stuff out of the essay, but it gets pretty dry when i start to cut it down, or i could just say screw it and right 500 words on why i want to be an officer, that would be easy. any help/advice would be appreciated. thanks.