• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MECEP Aviation?

pump

Good Evening (or whatever is the case),

I am currently a Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps, with about 8 1/2 years in (will be 27 in June). I am an Aviation Ordanceman and have worked on the AV-8B and currently deployed with an EA-6B unit. I have always had a strong desire to fly, but I've been steered away in the past with fears of "washing out" (partially my fault, partially the fault of some pilots who I've talked to). I enjoy my present job quite a bit, and I have a Warrant Officer package submitted for this year, but I can't shake the feeling that I am going to regret not giving MECEP a chance (with the hopes of becoming a Naval Aviator). I'm just looking for a little guidance as to how difficult the road is for MECEP and aviation. I'm not necessarily one to shy away from a challenge, but I feel like I am at a crossroad where I can potentially become an Ordnance Officer (which I'd enjoy), or attempt MECEP (and risk not becoming an Aviator). I do have a family (wife and 3 kids), and she is on board with the rough times ahead no matter which direction I chose. I'm also a little unsure about the age limits for prior enlisted (specific to aviation). I know I can get a waiver for MECEP, but I'm not sure if there are extra age limits for aviation. If anyone has experienced the MECEP road as it pertains to flying, or has any info/advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Crowbar

None
Even if you've finished a significant amount of college, your age will probably be the limiting factor. Remember that if you get selected this year you won't start college full time until August/September 2011. Do you have much college credit now?

As far as how hard it is to get there, well, I'm here so it's certainly possible. The hardest thing for me about the whole process, from applying for MECEP to finishing training and getting back to the fleet, was that it takes several years. You have to deal with years of frustration to make it through. At any point if you get fed up and say, "To hell with it!" then it's over right there. Just keep that in mind.

That being said, I'm glad I stuck with it, and I wouldn't trade a day of my enlisted time for anything.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There is a guy in my class here in advanced who was a SSGT prior to going MECEP and aviation. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM with your email and I will pass it along to him. He has done well, and though I'm sure it has been a long excursion for him career-wise, I think he is glad that he did it. Not to mention that he will be a Capt later this year, so the money as a prior ain't bad either.

pump

Yeah, I hear the road is tough...but 6 on/6 off deployment schedule (as it has been for the past couple years) can't be too much worse (I'd hope). I currently have about 24 transferable credit hours (depending on the school obviously)...so not a whole lot of college, but at least it is something.

pump

There is a guy in my class here in advanced who was a SSGT prior to going MECEP and aviation. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM with your email and I will pass it along to him. He has done well, and though I'm sure it has been a long excursion for him career-wise, I think he is glad that he did it. Not to mention that he will be a Capt later this year, so the money as a prior ain't bad either.

Thanks...I tried to shoot you a PM, but since I need to have 50 posts to use that feature on the website.

pump

Update (albeit a year later)...I was selected for Warrant Officer, and MECEP. I'm not currently at TBS, so I obviously chose MECEP, and will be headed to FSU or USF (still deciding) this fall. I just took my ASTB today and got a 7/7/8. I was hoping for something higher, but I'm always harder on myself, and hopefully those scores will suit me well. I'm well aware of the massive hurdles that I have to face to clear the age waiver, but the most they can do is tell me "No", and if I didn't request a contract, then I'd never know what would have happened. Wondering if anyone has any updated (maybe "inside") info on how the pipeline/community is looking? I had heard it was pretty competitive, and meek, the past year; but I talked to a contact up at ASM that said there is a fairly big aviation push coming up.

MadWorld

Update (albeit a year later)...I was selected for Warrant Officer, and MECEP. I'm not currently at TBS, so I obviously chose MECEP, and will be headed to FSU or USF (still deciding) this fall. I just took my ASTB today and got a 7/7/8. I was hoping for something higher, but I'm always harder on myself, and hopefully those scores will suit me well. I'm well aware of the massive hurdles that I have to face to clear the age waiver, but the most they can do is tell me "No", and if I didn't request a contract, then I'd never know what would have happened. Wondering if anyone has any updated (maybe "inside") info on how the pipeline/community is looking? I had heard it was pretty competitive, and meek, the past year; but I talked to a contact up at ASM that said there is a fairly big aviation push coming up.

Hey pump,
Unfortunately, I don't have any gouge for you on the pipeline/community, but I am very curious to find out how things turn out for you.
I am almost in the exact same boat you were in a year ago- perhaps a bit worse off. AD, SSgt, turned 27 in January, currently have about 80 college credits (3.9 gpa), 280+ pft/cft, and want nothing more than the opportunity to fly. My fear is that even if I am accepted for MECEP that I will be disqualified/dropped from aviation due to my age. Have you felt any of that pressure at all? From what I've heard if you go into OCS with an air contract you're golden- if you have to wait until TBS there's no guarantee.
I love the Corps, and (no offense at all to my Navy brethren) I cringe a bit thinking of being in any other service; but I'm feeling torn because I'm hearing that the Navy can guarantee aviation if you have the scores (not to mention the chance of me breaking my old-lady bones and ending my career in Navy OCS has got to be a lower than Marine OCS...) I would consider it an honor to fly, be it in the Navy or the Marine Corps, I'm just not sure what route to take at this point.
This turned into a long post, but do you [or anyone else reading this] have any insight since you are (successfully) blazing the trail I've been eyeing? Either way, best of luck!