• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MECEP and Marine NROTC

ctusmc1999

Even though it is a very long winded version of NROTC, MECEP is a great way to gain your commissioning via Marine Crops. I started my service in 1999 when I graduated from PI and I have been in since. I originally applied for the BOOST Program as a LCpl but was not accepted so I pushed through the next 2 years before I decided to apply to the MECEP Program. From LCpl to Sgt I was in full-time school at the University of Maryland Asian Division in Okinawa, then at Northern Virginia CC until I earned two AS in Science in General Studies and Biology. I will tell you that going to class while on active duty is a great way to get a FREE college education but it comes at a social and physical cost. You are usually in class until late in the evening so the early mornings come quickly and instead of going out with your fellow Devil Dogs to BBB's or Hooters you have to stay in the Barracks to study for an exam the next day. In the long run it is worth it because nothing is better for a leader of Marines than higher education. (At least that's what I tell myself everyday as an excuse for not having fun) Once I was accepted to MECEP I headed to Tufts University in Medford, MA where I will be completing my degree in Politics in January. Because I had college behind me, I was able to graduate it early which ended up saving me over 20,000 in tuition fees. With a tuition of over 43,000 a year I decided to add the "kicker" to my GI Bill. It was one of the best decisions I could have made in my situation. I do advise everyone to pay the extra $600 for an added $150 a month for 36 months.

As for NROTC, the best advice I can give students is to try it out for a few months to get used to the structure and physical aspects that come along with the scholarship before committing yourself to it in writing. For most, the NAVY option is the best way to get your feet wet before jumping straight to the Marine Corps Program. I have seen too many students try the Marine route right away and it is very overwhelming for them to take in all at once. You have to crawl before you walk. Do the Navy option and hang out with the Marine options to get a feel for the "lifestyle" differences that come along with being a Marine. The PT is a lot more demanding, not to mention the discipline.
(Not that the Navy ROTC program is undisciplined because they are) Another thing to keep in mind is the committment once under scholarship. Do your homework and make sure you know what you are signing for. This is all I got for now.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Great informative post, these are the type AW needs more of.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I have heard a mixed verdict about the "kicker" as it pertains to mecep students. Apparently a lot of students are not getting it (but a few are).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
what the first poster said about NROTC is very true....in the last few years I have seen that exact thing happen to many guys (and girls). The majority of kids that come into our unit have little or no experience with the military lifestyle, let alone the much more demanding PT schedule that the Marine options run. Good advice for sure!

pjxc415

pilot
I concur with the above analysis. I however did come straight into the Marine Corps program, on scholarship, and it was very demanding, and at some times demotivating. Being a sh1tbag coming straight out of high school and being peers with Marines who have been in the Corps for 5+ years is not an easy thing to do. You really have to want it. In retrospect I wouldn't have changed a thing, I have loved my experience, and now I am an OCS grad so it was all worth it. But if you're not 100% sure about being a Marine, like ctusmc said, you gotta crawl before you learn how to walk. And I just gotta mention, a message for all you MECEPs, you guys are awesome. I learned more at OCS just talking to you guys than from most of the instructors. I think I had 25 MECEPs in my platoon and 24/25 were awesome guys, the other one got kicked out on an integrity violation. So thank you.

Yanni

Midshipman
Hey, the scholarship I recieved for NROTC was a 4-year Marine Corps option, so I'm going in as Marine option. There is nothing else I want more then to be a marine, and I will do what is needed to get it done. Any tips or advice from you guys who are older and wiser and have done this would be much appreciated.

ctusmc1999

Preparation

Yanni-
First of all Congrats! It is not easy to impress the NROTC board members so you must be what they are looking for; hard working, motivated, dedicated and trustworthy. As for what to expect...being a Marine NROTC student is your first mission. You have to stay focused in school and make sure you do what it takes to keep up your grades. Next, I would advise you to find a few "buddies" to interact with that are also in your program, that way you have people to keep you on track and vice versa. A frustrating part of being a Marine Option student is the early morning PT and Battalion expectations. Because you are a Marine Option you will be automatically held to a higher standard than your Navy counterparts in regards to PT, uniform, general appearance (in and out of uniform), attitude, and progress in NROTC as a whole. From day one I would be prepared to recite the NROTC Handbook/Manual to include uniform questions, history, and customs and courtesies. And obviously it would be a good idea to work on your PT...you can never be overprepared for PT.
As a Marine you are expected to set the example and eventually you will grow the ability to pay attention to detail (with everything) and the ability to make decisive decisions under stress. Don't worry too much about these skills, they will come naturally as you develop into a Marine and through the fun training you are about to endure in. It probably wouldn't hurt to look at the OCS website to get an idea and see pictures of what you will do as a candidate.