• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mecep and Career Help

Crowbar

None
igrunt said:
why am i getting different requirements via MARADMIN and MCO 1560.15L?

Because the order was written 15 years ago and never updated. Each year's MARADMIN should say something to the effect of:

MARADMIN 0248/09 said:
REF (A) IS MCO 1560.15L, MARINE CORPS ENLISTED COMMISSIONING EDUCATION PROGRAM (MECEP).

1. IN CASE OF ANY CONFLICT BETWEEN THIS BULLETIN AND REF (A), THIS BULLETIN TAKES PRECEDENCE.

Seriously, read the order once, then read the latest MARADMIN a few times and go with what the MARADMIN says. Your chain of command should be helping you out with this.

igrunt

Yes I've read the order and the maradmin, today I'm going to see if I can get in to talk to my commanding officer. Thanks again for all the help. If I start my college on my own now and go untill august of 2010 I can be a sophmore by the time I eneter my package correct?

To my understanding you need to be under 30 to recurve your commison but what does the marine corps require for pilots? I can get my bachelor in 3 years but after I get commisioned does avaiations require you to be under a certain age too?

efn1221

Hey everyone im new to the forums and i am 25 years old, turning 26 this november. i have been in the marine corps just a little over 2 years and i am a Cpl(E-4). Next week i am turning in a mecep package with the hope of evantually becoming a fighter pilot in a fixed winged aircraft(jet). i have read crowbars posts and a lot of other articles, also i have contacted recruiters, my own career planner and a few others for questions i had. However i am still unsure on a lot of things. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Is it to late for me to want to be a jet pilot? if so could i possibly get a waiver? i also hear that you have to be really smart, Common sense! i guess.. but how smart? any way to explain that? Basically im trying to figure out how realistic my goals are here. Or am i way to late in my life to start this career in aviations?

A little about my career and accomplishments; i run a 300 pft, i am qualified as a expert rifleman 3x. my pros/cons are 4.7/4.6, i have about 20 semester hours of prior college before joining the Marine Corps. I have a high school diploma(degree). my vision is 20/20. Good hearing too. Never had Page 11, or NJP. No major history of law breaking except a few speeding tickets. I was diagnosed with ADD when i was younger(elementary school - freshmen year of high school) and had to take medication such as Ritalin or adderall. not sure if that knocks me out of being a pilot or not but i havent been on that for about 9 years. i graduated highschool in 2002 which was almost 8 years ago.

any comments that would help me in building my career goals would really be appreciated. Thanks Guys. So far according to MCO 1560.15L i meet all requirements except the sat score, i havent taken an SAT yet and im not sure how well i will do. while in college i averaged low B's or C's.

Your stats are pretty good. I applied in 2003 and was not selected. Below were my stats at the time.

PFT: 288
Had just gotten promoted to Sgt meritoriously
4.8/4.8 before that
Was just shy of my Associates Degree
In 2003 I was the 1st MAW NCO of the Year
I had one pump on the MEU under my belt
3 NAMs
Green Belt Instructor
Honor Grad Cpls Course
Honor Grad MOS School
No NJP/Pg 11
Clean record across the board

Ready for this, not selected! I was pissed. One of my Marines applied to BOOST the following year and was selected. His stats weren't as good. Make sure you apply for BOOST as well.

Good luck to you.

igrunt

Man that sux, seems to me like you were a perfect candidate for it..Did you retry your application later?

efn1221 said:
In 2003 I was the 1st MAW NCO of the Year
I had one pump on the MEU under my belt
3 NAMs
Green Belt Instructor
Honor Grad Cpls Course
Honor Grad MOS School
i didnt have any of this, i guess im still a boot:banghead_

igrunt

Upon getiing accepted into mecep do u have the option of being navy or Marine corps? One of my friends said he was going to mecep and fly navy jets.. I told him that when u mecep you can't change branches unless your contract is up and you chose to change services and in that case you just "enlist" into the navy. Is this correct? Some clarification please.

efn1221

Upon getiing accepted into mecep do u have the option of being navy or Marine corps? One of my friends said he was going to mecep and fly navy jets.. I told him that when u mecep you can't change branches unless your contract is up and you chose to change services and in that case you just "enlist" into the navy. Is this correct? Some clarification please.

One of my buddies just graduated from the Citadel. He was a MECEP Marine and one of the guys who was selected was running a 27:30. Couldn't PT for crap. He switched to Navy and commissioned with them instead.

igrunt

Ok so upon commisioning you have a choice of service to commision into?

Another question; I am 25, I turn 26 this November(2009) so I am to late to turn in a mecep package this year but that is ok becauade I turn my package in next year at age 26(maximum age allowed without waiver). By the time I actually get sent to college and officially get accepted I'll probably 27 (by November of 2010). My question is, is there an age limit for flight school or becoming a pilot?

The reason I'm asking all this info is because I know what I want, I want to fly fighter jets and I want to make sure that if I dedicate 10 more years of my life to the navy/USMC will it be worth it? With a degree, good physical, good medical and dental, vision, and all the other requirments. Should my age be a problem? If anyone knows or anyone went through this at a later age like myself Ide really be appreciative of your help once again.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Another question; I am 25, I turn 26 this November(2009) so I am to late to turn in a mecep package this year but that is ok becauade I turn my package in next year at age 26(maximum age allowed without waiver). By the time I actually get sent to college and officially get accepted I'll probably 27 (by November of 2010). My question is, is there an age limit for flight school or becoming a pilot?

The reason I'm asking all this info is because I know what I want, I want to fly fighter jets and I want to make sure that if I dedicate 10 more years of my life to the navy/USMC will it be worth it? With a degree, good physical, good medical and dental, vision, and all the other requirments. Should my age be a problem? If anyone knows or anyone went through this at a later age like myself Ide really be appreciative of your help once again.

1. MECEP is a Marine program to commission Marine officers, period.

2. You're asking age questions that have been asked over and over on AW. Plenty of stories here so read the threads instead of asking for others to repost their stories. Start with this one by Crowbar.

Crowbar

None

You're messing with all of us, right? I suggested you educate yourself on the program you're interested in which you clearly have not done.

How smart do you have to be in order to be a fighter pilot, you ask? Smart enough to read simple messages (MARADMINs for example) and understand them. Worry about that before you worry about your chances of being a fighter pilot.

igrunt

Ok I'll do more research, I apologize for getting annoying. Once the time comes that I am turning in a package I'll come by and give an update on my progress thanks for the guidence everyone it has helped. I have read the MCO, the latest MARADMIN; start to end twice and crowbars articles previously posted on this forum, I have enough knowlede now to at least get started on preparing myself for the next cycle. Once again I apologize for the inconvience didn't mean for that.

guest0321

It should be noted that the BOOST program has been cancelled as of late. I'm currently preparing my MECEP package for next year's board and the BOOST option is no longer available to us.

JTB7

My goal is to get my bachelor in less then 4 years(if possible). Graduate top 5 in my class at OCS, Graduate top 10 or so at TBS and maybe, just maybe ill be given my chance at Being a pilotl

Great goals, but if you get a flight contract you do not have to get top 10 at TBS. I am pretty sure you can get a flight contact through MECEP, just ask for it.

I would apply for NROTC-Marine Option scholarship, they pay for tuition and your are pulled from active duty. MECEP is better in the long run, but it sounds like you are running out of time to be a pilot.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150124

Crowbar

None
I would apply for NROTC-Marine Option scholarship, they pay for tuition and your are pulled from active duty. MECEP is better in the long run, but it sounds like you are running out of time to be a pilot.

What exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

JTB7 (today said:
I am in the process of applying for an NROTC-Marine Option scholarship

So how do you know which program is supposedly better? I know you want to help but it's not working.

Crowbar

None
The early board is selecting in October, I thought he could get picked up for that instead of waiting next year for MECEP.

You got spunk, Wolfhouse, I'll give you that. My question was a legitimate one and you answered it. Still, if I were you, I'd hold off on giving advice on one program over the other until you have a little more "street cred".

As a separate question, are active duty Marines eligible for early selection and if so, when are applications due? I haven't seen any mention of it in any messages but it's possible that I missed it.