• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ME Question for Technical Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedrock1981

For those who have been to the Nuke interviews and are Mechanical Engineering majors.

What types of of questions did you get asked besides the calc and physics questions?(i.e. Fluids, Heat Transfer, Thermo, Statics, Dynamics, Materials)

I have an interview in January and I'm trying to prepare.

Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Bedrock, don't ask me how I remember this, but here are some of the questions I got asked.

If you had a heater and a refrigerator running at the same efficiency and put one in each room, what would happen to the temeperatures in the room?

You've got a screw going through an assumed imcompressible piece of wood with washers on both sides and a nut on the bottom. (I forgot the givens) How many times would you have to turn the nut so that there is a force of 1000lbs on the screw?

Graph these 2 equations, and find the area between them (don't remember the equations, but they were ones you should know, and can't really plot, such as x=e^x)

Given a box on an inclined plane, find the force or the box (going parallel to the incline) that will keep the box from moving. (Basic statics question).

Integrate this equation (again, don't remember the equation, but it was one that involved a lot of identities)

Given the cross section of a pipe, how can I increase the flow through the pipe? (I tried changing the cross section, and the interviewer was like, "uh, ok, let's say you can't change the pipe)

What was your senior project? (this only applies if you have graduated, also, don't tell him you're not sure and that you only know your part of the project, this may sound like a casual question, but we were briefed that one person that wasn't selected was because they didn't know what was going on with their entire project.)

Good luck

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I personally didn't go, but my friends who went both got asked the following two quetions:

1. Draw and explain a D type boiler.

2. Draw the complete steam cycle.

Alot of other questions were asked (alot of the same as ThisGuy says). I just thought it was interesting that they both got asked these questions by different people.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

EngineGirl

bedrock1981

Hey guys thanks a lot. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Keep'em comin...

I just have a lot of material to sift through and study. I graduated over a year ago and have been far removed from the theory side of Engineering for quite some time. Although I did stay in the same field as I am a design engineer for an automotive suppplier. I hope they ask me about my thesis project because mine was actually published. I could talk all say about it.

Thanks again

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
bedrock,

Another thing not to overlook is PT. Since you're nuke, you'll probably be going to OCS literally a month after your interview. I know a lot of people b!tch and moan on this forum about waiting to go to OCS, but since you'll get your 10K check and E-6 pay before you go to OCS, the navy is gonna find a way to put you in an upcoming class.

bedrock1981

This guy,

I won't have any PT issues since I applied well over a year and a half ago and have been working out exstensivley ever since. I'am ready now! I run about 20-25 miles a week, weight train 4-5 days a week on top of calistenics pretty much everyday.(abs, push-ups, etc...) Well I guess I shouldn't say I am ready cause it seems like you can never be as prepared as you would like to be before OCS. You never know till you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.