• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MCMAP Mandatory Training Mega Thread

What level of MCMAP have you completed?

• Total voters

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Been a while since I posted a question to get everyone fired up. I doubt this will start much of a fight, but we'll find out!

So, Marines have this mandatory martial arts training that they must participate in and it is reflected in their Fitreps (at least I think that's how it works from what i've heard on the street, Devil Dogs please chime in to correct me if I'm wrong). I'm reasonably certain that your average squid would never have a legitimate need for HtoH combat training but I believe it could be beneficial never the less. Martial arts teach focus and discipline in addition to the PT benefits and combat training. Do you think the Navy should have a similar program and make it mando?

Now, certainly some of you have noticed that the Navy has quite a few fat bodies. We've also got a lot of people who PT very hard and look great in uniform - but i dare say that they are the minority. As such, do you think that an hour of PT at some point in everybody's day would be a good idea? There are countless studies that show the benefits of PT at the beginning of someone's workday, increases in productivity and the like. Also, it pisses me off to no end when i see somebody who makes the uniform look bad.

There is already mando PT for PRT failures, but I don't think we should ever have PRT failures. People don't get huge over night, but for some reason we've got some folks that are huge and have been for several years. This is completely unacceptable (to me) in a military unit.

For the record, I never max out the PRT (except for the situps) but i've never come close to failing it either.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!

Your post tells me two things....

1. You have penis envy of the Marines

2. You think the Navy is full of NASTY fat asses that fight like girls

BTW...if you have to ask if an hour of PT a day is good for you?????? come on man...get off your ass and get to the gym.

Are they both true? You be the judge.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Along these lines:

1. If you're a lieuie waiting for API for over a month, you've already done the NOMI thing, you don't have a stash job that takes up 40 hours a week, and you don't get your gray belt, you might be just plain lazy.

What would be the best way to go about doing MCMAP while on PTAD waiting for TBS? I was thinking contacting local NROTC programs and seeing if they had any instructors.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Along these lines:

What would be the best way to go about doing MCMAP while on PTAD waiting for TBS? I was thinking contacting local NROTC programs and seeing if they had any instructors.

Unless you plan on instructing at TBS, it isn't worth getting your belt before you go, since EVERYONE has to go through Tan (maybe Gray now too?). The students that had Green Instructor and higher assisted the MACE with teaching, but still had to put in the time.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Unless you plan on instructing at TBS, it isn't worth getting your belt before you go, since EVERYONE has to go through Tan (maybe Gray now too?). The students that had Green Instructor and higher assisted the MACE with teaching, but still had to put in the time.

Well, our report date is March 30th, so we have a while. I've obviously never done MCMAP but we figured that's enough time to go beyond tan.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot

A buddy of mine in Golf just finished MCMAP last week and said that they split everyone up who had belts already to work on their next belt. Must be a new thing and not a bad idea in my opinion.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
A buddy of mine in Golf just finished MCMAP last week and said that they split everyone up who had belts already to work on their next belt. Must be a new thing and not a bad idea in my opinion.

We did the same in Delta back in May...

Clux4

Banned
Just a waste of friggin time. When I was at TBS, there was talk that they were going to have more training mixed into the MCMAP week and not just the whole day on LZ 6 thing. Did that ever happen or is it just a week of hazing to get it done?!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just a waste of friggin time. When I was at TBS, there was talk that they were going to have more training mixed into the MCMAP week and not just the whole day on LZ 6 thing. Did that ever happen or is it just a week of hazing to get it done?!

Still just a week of training.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Well that's a change in Marine Corps thinking... do something that actually makes sense! I wish I would have been able to work on my Gray instead of going through the motions of Tan training.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
MCMAP = sanctioned hazing and little more than that.

If you want to learn how to defend yourself in hand to hand combat then go to your local martial arts instructor.

*eye gouge* *eye gouge* *break fall*

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Last I heard, each TBS company makes their own decision about what to do with guys who already have their belts, so don't plan on going up a belt if you show up a sandy ninja.
Since all Marines in the Wing are now required to have a Gray belt, I see no reason not to get your Gray while waiting for API (if you have the time). Just do it after NOMI, in case you get a few bumps and bruises.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It seems like getting ahead is a good idea. If nothing else, if you come to TBS with tan or gray already, you'll build proficiency doing the haze-ex while doing the week of training at TBS.

I'm actually not opposed to MCMAP for excessive aviator injuries. My thoughts on that are along the lines of Col Jessup. "You mean we have a United States Marine who can't run from point A to point B without hurting himself?" I just think it's an obscenely complicated system where they added ninja moves so that there would be enough gradeable items to have a belt system. Marines don't need to be able to win a movie fight with Jackie Chan. They only need to be able to get an opponent down on the ground and stomp on his face. That only takes maybe 10 or so moves, that should be simple and easy to remember under stress, not a litany of items where memory is more important than execution. "Perform a double reverse underhand backward arm lock from the sitting position with supine opponent...check!" We used to have a system like that--the LINE program, which was based on techniques proven in WWII. Now, we have these MACE guys who get paid to go to UFC, Muy Thai, and for all I know, Kumite (which doesn't actually exist, BTW) to cook up new crap to pack into MCMAP.

That said, I think that IF YOU HAVE TIME TO KILL in a pool, you may as well try to advance in belt. As a new check-in lieutenant you all start out equally worthless. If you show more initiative and willingness to work and improve than your peers, as exemplified by MCMAP belts, being done with EWS, speaking Pashtun, whatever, it can't be a bad thing. Just don't lord your ninja status over others like you're a trained killer or anything, because your primary weapons system is your T/M/S, not your hands, a rifle, pistol, or whatever else.

Clux4

Banned
They only need to be able to get an opponent down on the ground an stomp on his face. That only takes maybe 10 or so moves, that should be simple and easy to remember under stress, not a litany of items where memory is more important than execution. Now, we have these MACE guys who get paid to go to UFC, Muy Thai, and for all I know, Kumite (which doesn't actually exist, BTW) to cook up new crap to pack into MCMAP.
Very few Marines have the time to gain mastery so what is the point. I am sure we will do better as a force learning 10 moves vice the extra sh!t.

It does not help that they brought back one of the big advocates of the program to run it as a GS 13 . That ensured that the program will NEVER die.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I don't have any numbers on it, but I imagine MCMAP and the belt system helps with recruiting.