• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May be heading to NAS North Island, anyone familiar with apartments in the SD area?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get a head start on apartments in the SD area in case that turns out to be my selection. I searched around on AirWarriors and found a couple threads from awhile back with some info, but they were fairly slim. Does anybody have any recommendations for apartment complexes that don't have a murderous transit to base?

EDIT: Actually, I just found a trove of threads from some years ago that somebody linked. That's probably enough information :D Don't know how I missed them the first time, but in case anybody else is searching, here's what I've got:

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/a-place-in-san-diego.23722/
https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/where-to-live-in-san-diego.28602/
https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/san-diego-gouge.27029/
https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/housing-in-san-diego.14927/
https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/san-diego-living.33327/

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think as a general rule, if you have to cross the coronado bridge, your commute could potentially be called "murderous" depending on the time of day you intend to drive into work. No idea what the NZY folk do for living, but when I had to go down there for SERE, it was a pain train every morning. I knew some guys in the RAG who lived on the island and commuted to Miramar (mostly opposite direction of everyone else), and it seemed like they were able to find some good pads for at or below O-3 BAH. I'd think you could find somewhere out there that wouldn't involve you commuting from like the golden triangle or downtown or beyond. You could always live up in hillcrest and hang in boutique popsicle shops in your down time though....

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sounds like we need to merge them and create a SAND DIEGO MEGA THREAD!!!

Sonog

pilot
Get a few buddies and you can live like a king in some legit luxury apartments downtown. PB seems to be the thing these days, but in my opinion downtown has way more to offer in terms of bars, food, and convenience. If two carriers are in port the drive might be 20+, but on an average day as a cat I you're probably not dealing with traffic and its like a 10 minute drive.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Recommend downtown at "Current" apartments or "Vantage Pointe". The latter is a bit smaller but lots of good 'views' and pricing is great bang for the buck.

AllYourBass

pilot
Sounds like we need to merge them and create a SAND DIEGO MEGA THREAD!!!

giphy.gif

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I think as a general rule, if you have to cross the coronado bridge, your commute could potentially be called "murderous" depending on the time of day you intend to drive into work. No idea what the NZY folk do for living, but when I had to go down there for SERE, it was a pain train every morning. I knew some guys in the RAG who lived on the island and commuted to Miramar (mostly opposite direction of everyone else), and it seemed like they were able to find some good pads for at or below O-3 BAH. I'd think you could find somewhere out there that wouldn't involve you commuting from like the golden triangle or downtown or beyond. You could always live up in hillcrest and hang in boutique popsicle shops in your down time though....

The bridge commute isn't that bad. On the day a carrier comes home, it sucks. Other than that, it's not awful. We lived up by the stadium, just south of Miramar, and the commute for Husband was almost always less than 25 minutes. Anything north if Miramar is crazy, as that's where the traffic usually gets bad. Five miles North can easily add 15+ minutes to the commute.

That said, I'd live downtown, especially if single. If you wanted, you would even bike to the ferry and then bike across the island to NASNI, so no car commute at all. This only works on days you aren't flying or working late, as the ferry doesn't run 24/7.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Live in PB or downtown.

PB is much cheaper than downtown and the commute is not bad, even with bridge traffic. In PB I can walk to the beach, to buy groceries and to bars/restaurants. Can't really beat that convenience.

If my roommate deploys before I do and I had to live on my own, I'd probably head downtown.

Sonog

pilot
If you're single and looking for single lawyers or doctors, go downtown. If you're single and looking for west coast hippy college girls/guys, go PB. Not trying to start an argument, but I don't know how else to grossly generalize the differences between the two.

AllYourBass

pilot
I'm married, so I'm well removed from having to give a shit :) That said, found some cool spots around downtown and Pacific Beach that I'm looking at. This thread has been immensely helpful!

Sonog

pilot
If you're married I think the wife would probably appreciate the happenings of downtown over PB. Either way, if possible, wait until you get here before you lock down a place so you can walk the streets and get a feel for both places. Aim your search downtown for east village and petco area.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur. PB, while fun, can get a little dicey at night and crime can be an issue.

MGoBrew11

pilot
If you're married I'd look into North Park and Coronado as well.

I was suggesting PB more for the single crowd. It is a good place for anyone, but if I were married I would do North Park, downtown or Coronado.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You kids no nothing about the bridge commute. Back in the day every car had to stop and pay a toll or hand out a pre paid ticket at those quaint old time abandoned toll booths you drive through at 45 mph. There were twice as many squadrons and a USNS or some such ship was in port most every day, CV present or not. Two CVs? Forgetaboutit!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You kids no nothing about the bridge commute. Back in the day every car had to stop and pay a toll or hand out a pre paid ticket at those quaint old time abandoned toll booths you drive through at 45 mph. There were twice as many squadrons and a USNS or some such ship was in port most every day, CV present or not. Two CVs? Forgetaboutit!
Or even further back in BzB's day before the Coronado Bridge, where you had to suffer the "NickelSnatcher" Ferry, or drive the loop down south and up the Silver Strand.:eek:
BzB