• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mattress Blues

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
So, my mattress has pretty much given up on me. My wife keeps complaining that it's hurting her back, and until her physical therapist joined the foray, I was pretty convinced that it was just psychosomatic. I didn't even notice a problem until I came back from WTI to find that the rocky desert floor was a damn sight more comfortable than my own bed. I've done some research as to prices, etc., but for the most part, the advice is to buy a reputable brand name and try each mattress you're considering for about 15 minutes each. I don't mind spending money for good quality, but I would like to get the best deal possible. I realize that this decision is largely one of personal preference, but in an attempt to exhaust all research sources, does anyone have a suggestion as to which mattresses/manufacturers to look for or avoid? Also, if anyone has specific recommendations for stores in the Cherry Point or Camp Lejeune area, that'd be great too.

(For once, my membership to Consumer Reports is not, in fact, paying off.)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My wife is trying to convince me of that, too, but I don't know. I'd really have to get used to it, I think, and while they do offer a 120 day trial period, I'm not sure it'll be worth it. Plus, I've heard that they're pretty freaking hot, and as someone who emmits vast amounts of heat while sleeping (you should see me on the IR TOW sight), I'm not sure if I want to role like that.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got a middle to high end Tempurpedic. Only good things to say about mine such as, "aAhhhhhhhhhh..." at the end of a long day.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
My husband and I have a Tempurpedic too. Wouldn't sleep on anything else. It was pricey, but worth it. My husband gets super hot at night, but he's handled the tempurpedic just fine. You should do the 120 day trial thing. It certainly can't hurt and if it proves to be too hot for you, febreeze it and send it back.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm gonna put a plug in for the Sleep Number Mattress... especially since you're buying a bed for two... The one my wife and I have is really comfortable. We can adjust the firmness of the mattress individually.

Its basically a glorified Air Mattress, but its a lot more comfortable.

Sleep Number has a trial period similar to Tempurpedic.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I use a tempurpedic pad over my regular mattress (the 2" type) and it's very comfortable. My only concern has been that it tends to develop an indentation where you sleep. I don't know if that problem is alleviated with the full thickness mattresses.

Brett

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
I'll throw in another vote for the Select Comfort Sleep Number bed. My husband and I love ours, and both my parents and in-laws and assorted other family members have been enjoying theirs for years. The ability to adjust the firmness individually on each side makes a huge difference. It should be very easy to move, too--we plan to just deflate it, take it apart, and bring it in the car with us.

schwarti

Contributor
Whatever you do, don't be tempted to get whichever mattress just because, even if you don't have back pain. I made that mistake and I toss and turn all night - if I get 9 hours of sacktime, I'm still falling asleep on the bus, just because I can't go more than an hour or so in the same position.

Just take the time to make sure you get the right one - I didn't, and I'm paying for it.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I use a tempurpedic pad over my regular mattress (the 2" type) and it's very comfortable. My only concern has been that it tends to develop an indentation where you sleep. I don't know if that problem is alleviated with the full thickness mattresses.

Brett

When we bought ours (which is not an overlay) the contract had a 20 year warranty against any indentations. I think it said if the mattress sags more than 1/2 or 3/4", they will replace it. You may be seeing the sagging of the mattress beneath it.

To the OP, remember you will spend a little less than 1/2 your life in this bed, whatever you get, don't chintz on it.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Serta Super Pillow Top from Sam's Club..........why.....because it rocks and is only like $750......my wife loves it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The Mrs. is leaning towards a Tempurpedic, as that's what some of her fellow medical professionals have recommended to her. Maybe we will do the 120 day trial period and see how it goes. I can't say I'm thrilled about the price, though. I guess as long as she's willing to foot the bill and continue to take large chunks out of her pharmacy school loans (I pay just about everything else), I really can't complain much.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever happened to old school waterbeds? Did they go out like orange shag carpet and bell-bottoms, or what? I'm sure they're terrible for your back, but is seems like they were the thing for such a long time.

Brett

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
When we bought ours (which is not an overlay) the contract had a 20 year warranty against any indentations. I think it said if the mattress sags more than 1/2 or 3/4", they will replace it. You may be seeing the sagging of the mattress beneath it.

To the OP, remember you will spend a little less than 1/2 your life in this bed, whatever you get, don't chintz on it.

Another vote for the foamy thing. I know folks who, after using the thing for 2-3 months, finally started getting long interrupted sleep.

"To the OP, remember you will spend a little less than 1/2 your life in this bed, whatever you get, don't chintz on it"

I like to spend some of my time on the kitchen counter too. :D