• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Math skills for pilots?

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
I was a math major in college and I have used almost none of the math-skills I learned in college while in API(and looking ahead to Primary, probably will not use them there either). Knowing calculus and how to write out a Delta-Epsilon Proof is completely different than doing basic arithmetic in your head. In some instances my math-knowledge confused me more because they dumb down Aero so much that the equations do not match up with the graphs they give you.

If you're worried about being able to do the basic arithmetic in the cockpit, start practicing basic arithmetic and don't worry about learning how to prove that the square-root of two is an Irrational number.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was a math major in college and I have used almost none of the math-skills I learned in college while in API(and looking ahead to Primary, probably will not use them there either). Knowing calculus and how to write out a Delta-Epsilon Proof is completely different than doing basic arithmetic in your head. In some instances my math-knowledge confused me more because they dumb down Aero so much that the equations do not match up with the graphs they give you.

If you're worried about being able to do the basic arithmetic in the cockpit, start practicing basic arithmetic and don't worry about learning how to prove that the square-root of two is an Irrational number.
I took math courses up to PDEs. The only math I ever used in the cockpit was stuff a competent 6th grader could do.

Even doing T&E work I haven't had to use any higher level math outside of stats. In hindsight, I wish I had a stronger stats background over anything else.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Basic math skills area really all you need, you just have to be able to complete them while flying around with radios screaming in your ears flying at 500+knots (or 50 knots for a helo guy), at night in weather while trying to get home. That is when those word problems you did in 6th grade about figuring out which train will get to Aunt Betty's house sooner seem awfully easy.

av8ion

If it's just you, it can be an awesome career. You have to look at being an officer and military aviator in a similar light as being a doctor or lawyer. It's not a 9-5, it's a profession. There will be long hours and the Marines will ask a lot of you. Having a family definitely makes it harder, but not impossible. I'm going to assume you don't have a family now, so do what you want to do and the future details will sort themselves out. Do you know who's great at solving problems? Future you. Let her worry about them.

Also, Marine helo drivers have a shorter commitment so there's nothing wrong with going to flight school, serving for six years, and then getting out.

I'm pretty sure it's 8 years no matter what now.. At least that's what my contract said. haha

JonTay

I believe current contracts are 6 years after winging (so basically 8), both pilots and NFOs (They changed them around in 2009)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Last year, commissioned in July through OCS. Might it be different for helo pilots vs. FW?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

av8ion

Tycho_Brohe = Navy
JonTay = USMC

I'm guessing that's why your contracts are different.
I contracted USMC and mine said 8 years. That's what my OSO told me anyway, I don't recall actually reading it. I don't care one way or another so it doesn't matter to me. I want to be a lifer.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I contracted USMC and mine said 8 years. That's what my OSO told me anyway, I don't recall actually reading it. I don't care one way or another so it doesn't matter to me. I want to be a lifer.

I'm not as savvy on the Green side, but I suspect it's very similar to the Navy side. That said, folks get confused between their contract commitment and their post-MOS set of orders. Again, on the Navy side, when you commission, you signing on that you owe the Navy 8 years (let's forget the USNA dudes for the moment, as it muddies the example). Even if you're a SWO and are able to drop your letter and get off of Active Duty at 4 years, you still owe the Navy a total of 8 years. If you look at the fine print, it states that after the first 4 years, the remaining time can be served in the IRR.

For aviators, they're still under the intital 8 year commitment. However, once they wing (which historically takes at least a year), they're THEN contracted for an additional period of time (service and community dependent, based off of the needs of the service at the time). So what ends up happening is that generally, aviators still meet that initial accession 8 year commitment, and usually exceed it.

Simplified: you sign on the dotted line twice. Once to get in and commission and a second time (that's concurrent with your inital commitment) that usually adds additional time on Active Duty. The Active Duty part is the important part.

jtmedli

pilot
I'm thinking about taking another math class before I graduate to help with the test...definitely seems sensible

Trigonometry and Algebra are the two biggest areas I remember from the ASTB (given it was years ago at this point). Problems like the following:

If 3a = 4b = 5c then what does a = in terms of c? In other words, solve for a. Crap like that.
If the two angles in the triangle are >60 degrees, what of the following 4 choices must the third angle be?

Stuff like that. There's no calculus or crazy trig stuff but just basic algebra and conceptual trig type questions.