• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

math and physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rsquared84

I saw on the qualifications that you are required 2 semesters of calculus and 2 semesters of physics- is this a definate get accepted or not point? It seems weird b/c outside of a physics or math major who would need to take these type of classes. I have taken 2 pre-calculus classes and a science and I don't know it that is good enough. Also if it is not good enough could i get accepted on the basis that I will take these classes before I grad?

mpdonnelly

math and phsyics as a SWO?

I'm assuming you're going the SWO route since you posted this here. I can tell you from experience that having a math or physics background will benefit you tremendously aboard ship. The most important skills you can have as a divo/OOD in not particular order:

1. math/physics/engineering
2. writing skills
3. typing skills

My CO was a nuke so he was always interested in the nuts and bolts of OOD math, engineering plant operating principles, unrep speeds, etc. The guys with the ultra liberal arts degrees (French art, medieval history) were easy prey at wardroom briefings.

Make no mistake if you have a strong foundation in math or physics your life will be much easier. If you've got any ship-driving questions, shoot me an e-mail and I'll be happy to discuss.

Rsquared84

thanx for the info, it down make sense that math or physics would be more useful in such a technical field. I think i have enough of a background in both subjects, but i'll probily take an advanced calc course just to make sure that i'm behind if i'm selected (hopfully :/)

ps. how much higher standards does BDCP have than regular acceptance into OCS? i've read alot about it but they really make no mention of higher standards.

mpdonnelly

I'm not up on BDC or OCS applications. I went to the academy, but I did help two of my sailors with STA-21. These programs have some tough standards, but remember they're looking at you as a whole. At least in STA-21 interviews carried a lot of weight. My advice, do your best and don't sweat the standards too much. Good luck, keep us posted.

squirrelgrl2005

FY-03 STA-21 selectee, future SWO
I'm in STA-21 right now, and a communication major. I am struggling hardcore with both calc and physics, and I can say that they will be a help later on, even if it doesn't seem so at the time. Start early and repeat the courses if you have to, but you do have to get through all of it to commission in most programs.

Good luck!

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Yea I would have to agree with flying SWO on this one. One of the biggest things is when you are conn for an UNREP and you to figure the radian rule in your head. You have a QM there to help you out but you want to be ahead of the power curve as much as possible. Also I would suggest a writing course if your going to be a SWO because you are going to be doing a lot of it Fit reps counseling chit ect.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
When Vice Admiral Harms (netc) came to our unit (NROTC Uof IL) last spring the queston wasput to him about if engineering majors or liberal arts majors were more wanted in the navy. His reply was something to the effect of, the navy cant only take engineering applicants for officer prigrams b/c we dont get enough, but if we could we would. He also said that the next best thing was tO required calc and physics for all unrestricted line officers. SO to answer you question. Yes YOU NEED TO TAKE 2 SEMESTERS OF CALC (ONE DIFFERENTIAL AND ONE INTEGRAL) AND TWO SEMESTERS OF CALC BASED PHYSICS (MECHANICS AND EM)

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
OK, devil's advocate...I took not one semester of calc and not one semester of physics in college. I was a college programmer. That doesn't really matter. The important stuff is that in the end, how well you do is directly related to how hard you work. Trust me, if you can get the job done efficiently and effectively, not many people are going to care if you can do differential equations. I am a flight bubba so maybe it's different in SWO. Although the Admiral's words are correct, the navy wants technical guys, they also want liberal arts majors too. Can you imagine a ship or squadron full of engineers? I'd go nuts. Just work hard and learn fast and you'll be fine. Good Luck.
--Goplay

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Goplay234 was a special exception, at the time the navy was dying for theater majors and he happened to be one....(j/k sir, hows life in norfolk?)
Seriously, the BDCP program says calc and physics you shold take it. How much it will help you as an officer, i couldnt tell you as Im still a midn, but if it says to do it you shoudl just to make yourself look like a stronger applicant. Good luck. Fair winds and following seas...

IT1toOfficer

Class 0606!!! New Ensigns!!! (as of Jan27th)
I talked to some LT that’s in charge of the OCS Application processor at Millington and she stated that it wasn’t a requirement to have Calculus or Physics, unless you go Nuclear SWO and then it’s required.

I once read somewhere a great SWO officer is one that’s great at math. Now I don’t agree with that statement because many of the officers I know in the Navy are terrible at math, but their still great leaders and are fully capable of taking helm of the ship. But I think being knowledgeable in these subjects would help you with many task in Navy, but you can always learn as you go and if you show that you’re well rounded and educated I’m sure you’ll have a great chance of getting selected. .

In addition to the app processor, the Navy instruction says it’s not required. But maybe that’s for people like me already in the Navy.

All I can recommend is that if you have a chance to take one of these courses do so and if you don’t have these subjects under your belt and have no time to take them then don’t worry about it.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Math important to a SWO? No, not really. Well, at least not advanced math. The basic stuff like adding, subtracting, and dividing get used occassionally on the bridge, but not too much. For unreps you can make yourself a little table of ranges and bearings that will give you the seperation. If you have a good Nav, then it's already done. Ok, you might have to do some math on the fly like when you're going down the channel and the skipper asks you what the distance the buoy will pass off your beam when it goes by, but it's all really easy stuff.

So that takes care of the bridge. Now let's go down to the plant. Who knows all there is to know about the plant, besides Cheng? The Chiefs. You think all of them have advanced math and physics under their collective horizontal belts? Not likely. Yet they somehow stand EOOW. Yeah, I suppose knowing a tiny bit of physics helps, but only in a theoretical sense, such as understanding how hydraulics work. Other than that, there is very little math involved.

The Navy is a system designed by geniuses to be run by idiots.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Road Program said:
The Navy is a system designed by geniuses to be run by idiots.

I second that. I'm an NFO, was also a college program mid, and the sum total of my math in college is a semester of pre-calc and a semester of trig. My science portion was biology and meteorology (the metro actually did help for flight school). That's it. Like I've told many before, the Navy will teach you what they want you to know how to do. It's good to have the background if the program you're in requires it (scholarship, STA-21, etc.), but it's certainly not a prerequisite.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rsquared84 said:
I saw on the qualifications that you are required 2 semesters of calculus and 2 semesters of physics- is this a definate get accepted or not point? It seems weird b/c outside of a physics or math major who would need to take these type of classes. I have taken 2 pre-calculus classes and a science and I don't know it that is good enough. Also if it is not good enough could i get accepted on the basis that I will take these classes before I grad?

Honestly, I don't think we've really addressed your concerns in this thread. You're asking a very specific question related to whether you should take calc and physics.....or not. Not a single one of us is likely going to be able to tell you whether it a "definite" must that you have the calc and physics classes in order to be selected for your program....BDCP I assume.
Rsquared84 said:
I saw on the qualifications that you are required 2 semesters of calculus and 2 semesters of physics.
If this is the case, then it sounds like you need to take the courses.

Now, for my personal thoughts on the matter. You definitlely want to make sure you meet all the requirements for selection. With that said, what you really want to do (or should want) is to make yourself as competitive as possible. If that means taking two semesters of calc and calc based physics even if turns out those classes aren't required, then do it. I know you probably don't see it now, but by not taking those classes you could potentially be closing doors for yourself later in your career (military, academic, and even civilian). I would recommend taking even a differential equations course and Calc III. Diff eq's will help tie together what you learned in the two semesters of Calc. Calc III is a bonus....gets you into the three dimensional realm. In any case, these courses will help you later in your career because it will help refine your thought process in approaching problems. Critical thinking and problem solving is a skill every military officer needs. Don't short change yourself now by doing only the minimum.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Well...don't read too much into what I posted before. Keep in mind I was commissioned nearly 10 years ago during a period when aviator was termed "undermanned" and NFO was "critical." There was no such thing as competition for SWO. All new commissions except for OCS were unrestricted line officers, period. The only guys who were truly required to have calc/physics and do well in them (besides USNA/scholarship mids) were nukes (all sub guys and a few surface). That said, keep your GPA in mind. If your program requires the classes, then obviously you'll need to take them regardless of your preference. However, if you have to pick between struggling with classes and grades should you not be a brainiac (I for one just chose not to take them since my major didn't require them and GI Bill was paying for school), then you may want to lean toward a better GPA. It won't matter if you're a nuclear physics major w/ a 2.3 average. If it comes down between you and another qualified candidate w/ a 3.4 in interpretive dance, well if they meet all the other requirements, you might lose out.

What I'm saying is, if you're good at it and can do it, then by all means take the classes as they'll definitely make you smarter like Steve said; but if it's not a requirement for your program, I wouldn't intentionally make life more difficult for yourself. Again, between two equally qualified candidates who meet the established requirements, if the only real discriminator between the two is GPA, then the GPA will likely be the determinant. They do expect that you won't be a dim bulb; but that aside, the Navy will really teach you what you need to know about your job. If they can turn music majors into bona fide legitimately good Top Gun instructors (it's true), then they can teach you anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.