• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Masters in Engineering

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Nuff said.

The question was "did anyone with a non-engineering undergrad get an engineering MS?" Math is a non-engineering degree, as is physics.

And I'll second HJ's comment - if you're "pissed off" because a "liberal arts major" is sitting next to you in a class, then you've got some serious penis envy issues going on. In all likelihood, if said "liberal arts major" is sitting next to you, it's because they're a pretty smart mo-fo.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
+1. To my fellow engineer SNA's out there, does it piss you off to be in the same squadron as guys who got liberal arts degrees when you busted ass to get that BS in engr? Or maybe to the USNA folks who wear the same bars as the rest of us who didn't suffer through 4 years of military school. All seems about the same in my mind...there is always going to be someone out there who is getting/got a better deal. Cest la vie....

Pugs

Back from the range
None
IIRC, think you can get a MS in engineering if you have a science related undergrad, but you cannot get a MENG without an engineering undergrad. (At least if you want an accredited degree)

Don't say never. Know a retired CDR ECMO who was undergrad fine arts at Walla Walla and Masters in Aero from UW. It happens and is very person dependent. I don't know any universities that have ironclad rules on this and it's common for people to do it at JHU.

(mmm although flattered, your sig line doesn't mean much without context does it?)

Pags

N/A
pilot
You can always get a degree n whatever you want, they'll gladly take your money. Just know that if you have a "liberal arts" undergrad, you'll have to take a lot of classes to get you up to the level of graduate engineering studies. Once complete, these other classes you had to take will basically amount to an undergrad in engineering.

These classes will probably change depending on what type of engineering you're gonna do, but even if you want to do a "softer" engineering like systems, there's still a lot of math, stats, etc that you'll need in order to comprhend your masters courses.*

*unless you happened to be the one sociology major that happened to take eelctives in calc, etc.

nugget61

pilot
Don't say never. Know a retired CDR ECMO who was undergrad fine arts at Walla Walla and Masters in Aero from UW. It happens and is very person dependent. I don't know any universities that have ironclad rules on this and it's common for people to do it at JHU.

(mmm although flattered, your sig line doesn't mean much without context does it?)

Ha, well yes for those that missed the thread it came from there might be some confusion, but it still makes me laugh when I read it.

Did the guy have a MS or MEng? ABET says that to get an accredited MEng you have to have an ABET BSEng but they don't care too much about the MSEng. I've got some friends in the Phys dept that would love to get their MEng if they can, so any help would help them

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
+1. To my fellow engineer SNA's out there, does it piss you off to be in the same squadron as guys who got liberal arts degrees when you busted ass to get that BS in engr? Or maybe to the USNA folks who wear the same bars as the rest of us who didn't suffer through 4 years of military school. All seems about the same in my mind...there is always going to be someone out there who is getting/got a better deal. Cest la vie....

Were you not the one who was very upset about all females with 50+ NSSes getting TH? C'est la vie...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Were you not the one who was very upset about all females with 50+ NSSes getting TH? C'est la vie...

I'm not "very upset" (or even concerned at this point), but if you want to open that can of worms I will justify it by saying that women have no choice in their gender. In the example(s) I gave, I'm talking about some folks just simply making choices that lead them down the same path in an easier way. Not really the same situation. I also think that is a whole different discussion that may not really be a great thing to put on the internets in much more depth......just my gut feeling anyway.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I'm not "very upset" (or even concerned at this point), but if you want to open that can of worms I will justify it by saying that women have no choice in their gender. In the example(s) I gave, I'm talking about some folks just simply making choices that lead them down the same path in an easier way. Not really the same situation. I also think that is a whole different discussion that may not really be a great thing to put on the internets in much more depth......just my gut feeling anyway.
Not trying to invoke any sort of heated discussion here, but what does engineering do for me as an SNA anyway? Engineering to me always seemed like a status thing. Yes, I definitely have more respect (from an academic and work ethic sense anyway) for those who endured the misery to earn an engineering degree, but in the end, a part of me questions why does it even matter? Unless you are trying to become an Astronaut or be picked up for something like TPS, what's the point (unless you want to do something related in the civilian world)? I was always told that the Navy will teach you what you need to know, and if SNA's can't hack it in flight school because they weren't engineering majors, then why do they even bother accepting those who aren't? Anyone feel free to jump in.

I did Aero Eng for three years and I guess you could say I gave up on it. It's something I kind of regret, but I definitely did enjoy my undergrad time a whole lot more and found myself less tired and miserable, and better yet, was able to graduate a little earlier than I would have if I had stayed with it. It would of have been cool to have Aeronautical Engineering written on my college diploma, but like I said, in the end is it going to matter that it instead reads International Studies?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
... a part of me questions why does it even matter? Unless you are trying to become an Astronaut or be picked up for something like TPS, what's the point (unless you want to do something related in the civilian world)? I was always told that the Navy will teach you what you need to know, and if SNA's can't hack it in flight school because they weren't engineering majors, then why do they even bother accepting those who aren't? Anyone feel free to jump in.

You make it sound like there's nobody out there trying to be an astronaut, or trying to apply to TPS, or getting an engineering job after the Navy. Maybe in reality there are those that have chosen a path which differs from what you see as the logical norm.

I guess the point is I didn't ask the original question in order to get an answer that related to being an SNA. Because you are right, you don't have to be an engineer to be a pilot.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not trying to invoke any sort of heated discussion here, but what does engineering do for me as an SNA anyway? Engineering to me always seemed like a status thing. Yes, I definitely have more respect (from an academic and work ethic sense anyway) for those who endured the misery to earn an engineering degree, but in the end, a part of me questions why does it even matter? Unless you are trying to become an Astronaut or be picked up for something like TPS, what's the point (unless you want to do something related in the civilian world)? I was always told that the Navy will teach you what you need to know, and if SNA's can't hack it in flight school because they weren't engineering majors, then why do they even bother accepting those who aren't? Anyone feel free to jump in.

I did Aero Eng for three years and I guess you could say I gave up on it. It's something I kind of regret, but I definitely did enjoy my undergrad time a whole lot more and found myself less tired and miserable, and better yet, was able to graduate a little earlier than I would have if I had stayed with it. It would of have been cool to have Aeronautical Engineering written on my college diploma, but like I said, in the end is it going to matter that it instead reads International Studies?

I think you missed my previous post (to which D_rob was responding) where I explained how I didn't think it really mattered what background you came from. There are always going to be guys out there who got in these shoes an easier way through smart planning. I have yet to find a time when having an engineering degree helped in flight school, aside from basic study skills which you could learn elsewhere.

Saving a long story, I did engineering because I was interested in the subject and wanted to have the chance to go to TPS at some point. I'm not sure at this point if I will actually want to do that, and I have no intent of ever working as an engineer, so yes, maybe it all was for the "cool" factor :)

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Saving a long story, I did engineering because I was interested in the subject and wanted to have the chance to go to TPS at some point. I'm not sure at this point if I will actually want to do that, and I have no intent of ever working as an engineer, so yes, maybe it all was for the "cool" factor :)
Nah, I agree. I originally started in Aero because I thought potentially being a Navy pilot with an Aeronautical Engineering background would make me quite marketable and possess a cool and bad ass resume. Also, it kept the possibility of being an astronaut and/or going to TPS a reality. Not that being an astronaut or going to TPS was a primary goal of mine, it kept the opportunity out there, which is why I kick myself for eventually switching out.

incubus852

pilot
I think it's agreed that backgrounds aren't too terribly important, except if you want to do TPS or something related that requires a degree. Whoever said that the Navy will teach you what it wants you to know is right.

As long as they're getting smart people who are going to work hard, of which I think ROTC/aviation selection does a pretty good job, there shouldn't be any problem.

This issue recently of the Navy dividing all majors into tiers depending on how technical in nature they are is ridiculous.

Doesn't it make sense to have people from a variety of educational backgrounds? Too many of my engineering courses suffered from a lack of um social ability?

Now they want something like 85% of all scholarship students to be tier 1. Check out the sheet from the NROTC website.

Attachments

• Academic+Majors+2009+w-tiers.xls
    54 KB · Views: 14