• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Master's degree through the Marines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
Can you get a Master's degree through the Marine Corps? Do they have a Master's program or do they just give you some money towards it? Thanks

kray1395

I can speak for a couple of Marines I went to school with at the Air Force Institute of Technology. They were there to get their master's in aeronautical engineering as part of being accepted to attend test pilot school. That being said, I'm sure it's a highly selective program. One was a 46 driver and the other a Super Cobra pilot. There were other Marines there to get their master's degrees but were not continuing on to test pilot school. I'm not familiar with what their particular programs were. Also there were a few senior enlisted Marines getting their master's in some kind of computer networking degree I believe. Basically the only two that I dealt with on a regular basis were the first two that I mentioned.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
You can get a masters through Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. That is if you get selected.

airwinger

pilot
There are a couple of routes. I'm actually wrapping up a masters in computer engineering this semester.. The Navy/Marine corps will pay for 100% of your tuition costs upto $250 per credit hour under the Navy College fund. You have to sign a contract stating that you will serve two years concurrent with any other contract. With an 8 year obligation after wings this is no problem.

As mentioned above selection to TPS may or may not also include graduate school. For non engineering types it usually does.

The Advanced degree program sends you to either Naval Postgraduate school or a civilian school as your duty station. Most of these are fields the Marine Corps thinks it needs.

I think command and Staff college and the Top Level schools(War College etc) offer Masters degrees in some specific fields. If I recall correctly the National War college will actually give you a Georgetown Masters degree, but I could be wrong.

For those Sierra hotel academy grads, I've met a couple of guys who got to go to graduate school right after commissioning.

You can also use the GI bill and take classes in your off duty time. This has no obligation except the initial $100 per month for a year pay in. If any of your friends refuses to sign up for the GI bill, smack em real hard in the mouth. It's the best deal the Marine Corps offers. Your $1200 investment works out to be $1004*36.

Rainman

pilot
AND you can use that GI bill to get a CFI or ATP or any other rating you desire (60% of flight/ground costs).

woohooo

PhatFarmer35

I just wanted to know how difficult it was to get selected for the Naval Postgraduate School and the Naval War College. What exactly would you need to do to apply and is it generally pretty hard to get selected for?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
NPS is fairly competitive, but not unreasonably difficult if you have good fitreps and undergrad grades.

War College, offered by each of the services is very competitive for LtCols.

Command and Staff, again offered by every service, is somewhat competitive, and is for majors.

Both War College and C&S offer master's in "National Security Studies," or a similar title.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
This might help. http://www.nwc.navy.mil/defaultf.htm I actually leave for Newport again this Sunday (Joint Military Operations) In addition to the NWC, you also have the National Defense University.

If you get selected for FAO, the government sends you away for at least 2 years: 1 (or 1 1/2) years to get your Masters in International Relations and another year for language training.

If you want to do it on your own, the GI Bill pays $1135 per month for 36 months. I know Troy State - as well as many others now - offer advanced degreees online. Tuition is $870 per semester (with 5 semesters per year). There is also the tuition assistance mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.