• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maryland EMS Helo Mishap (9-28-2008)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A Maryland State Police EMS AS-365 Dauphine crashed this morning in the Maryland countryside during a patient transport mission from the scene of an auto accident -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/28/AR2008092800416.html

All the facts seem to point to a CFIT during marginal VFR - a mishap root cause that is rampant in civillian EMS helo operations (even those operated under FAR Part 135).

This would be the fourth major civiallian EMS helo mishap this year where there was of of life in an industry that can ill afford it...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the facts seem to point to a CFIT during marginal VFR - a mishap root cause that is rampant in civillian EMS helo operations (even those operated under FAR Part 135).

This would be the fourth major civiallian EMS helo mishap this year where there was of of life in an industry that can ill afford it...

I would be careful to lump the Maryland Trooper helicopters in with private helo EMS operations. They have had a very good safety record with a very large number of flights and from waht little I know, are held to a very high standard.

I believe there is a board member that flies for the Maryland State Police, he might be able to give us a little insight when things settle down.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Those guys are pros. I worked with Trooper 3's crew when they responded to a near drowning at my old job, and they were all business. Plenty of Marylanders owe those guys their lives.

They can be anywhere in the state in less than 20 minutes. The golden hour is preserved because those guys are out there doing what they do.

Thoughts go out to them.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Damn...I work less than 1.5 miles from the crash site....
Prayers for all the families.

brownshoe

Contributor
I believe there is a board member that flies for the Maryland State Police, he might be able to give us a little insight when things settle down.

Yep Heloanjin. A friend of mine here. He has not logged in here since 9-21. I’m a bit worried.

Steve

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep Heloanjin. A friend of mine here. He has not logged in here since 9-21. I’m a bit worried.

Steve

The pilot was a longtime Trooper, I don't think he was a retired military guy like Heloanjin is I believe.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Off subject of the actual details of the crash, it is pretty amazing that the driver of the car survived both a serious auto accident, as well as a fatal helo mishap in a single morning.

Redux

Sad deal, this particular bird had something like 8K hours on it and I think 16 years. For most fixed wing that I've been associated with thats nothing, almost new. Is that considered high time for a helo?

Overcast shitty conditions in the area.

phrogpilot73

Sad deal, this particular bird had something like 8K hours on it and I think 16 years. For most fixed wing that I've been associated with thats nothing, almost new. Is that considered high time for a helo?
I think most helos are designed for 10K hours over their lifespan. So, I'd call 8K high time. There are Phrogs with over 12K hours though...

MasterBates

There are more than a few 60s running around with over 10K hours, but most of them are showing their age as well.

The constant vibration plus being built lighter than most equivalent FW birds is a killer.

Brunes

pilot
I'm not sure of exact numbers- but the CG Dolphins were procured in the early/mid 1980s and are planned for 400-650 hours/year with a review/rebuild before 20 years of service.

They had that rebuild and are expect to continue flying the same mission/time profile until 2015.

This was a CFIT accident tho, no??

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm not sure of exact numbers- but the CG Dolphins were procured in the early/mid 1980s and are planned for 400-650 hours/year with a review/rebuild before 20 years of service.

They had that rebuild and are expect to continue flying the same mission/time profile until 2015.

This was a CFIT accident tho, no??

Maryland's AS-365's are in their original config - and were maintained to Part 135 standards. As far as airframe lives go, pretty much indefinite life - the dynamic components are all maintained /TBO per the approved maintenance program. These aircraft were also equipped for Single Pilot IFR (AP/FD in lieu of a SIC)

MSP does have an outstanding safety record - and they do the lion share of civil EMS missions in the state. I think it is fair to consider their operations in aggregate to other civil EMS programs since most of their operations are conducted in accordance with Part 135 - they have so me missions - SAR for example that they specifically deviate from. if XNAVYFLYER is on I'm sure he can comment from a LEO perspective...

That said, single pilot EMS missions at night/poor wx are challenging. The lack of wx reporting and nature of the destinations don't give you a lot of options as a pilot - it's very easy to fall into some MVFR traps with high CFIT risks. You would think with an IFR equipped aircraft the mishap rate would be lower...

We lost a dual piloted IFR EMS Sikorsky S-76 under very similar circumstances ...

Brunes

pilot
Maryland's AS-365's are in their original config - and were maintained to Part 135 standards. As far as airframe lives go, pretty much indefinite life - the dynamic components are all maintained /TBO per the approved maintenance program. These aircraft were also equipped for Single Pilot IFR (AP/FD in lieu of a SIC)

MSP does have an outstanding safety record - and they do the lion share of civil EMS missions in the state. I think it is fair to consider their operations in aggregate to other civil EMS programs since most of their operations are conducted in accordance with Part 135 - they have so me missions - SAR for example that they specifically deviate from. if XNAVYFLYER is on I'm sure he can comment from a LEO perspective...

That said, single pilot EMS missions at night/poor wx are challenging. The lack of wx reporting and nature of the destinations don't give you a lot of options as a pilot - it's very easy to fall into some MVFR traps with high CFIT risks. You would think with an IFR equipped aircraft the mishap rate would be lower...

We lost a dual piloted IFR EMS Sikorsky S-76 under very similar circumstances ...

All good info- I've read alot about the MSP program sicne this accident- It's been a good read. Only 3 major helo accidents with 1 fixed accident since 1961- I'd say that's pretty amazing.