• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marriage Before OCS

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I leave August 30 for OCS and will be getting married August 14, from what I have been told I just need to bring the marriage license and SSC of my spouse to OCS, got it. My question is if my wife doesn't want to change her legal name until we do a formal wedding next spring-ish will I run into any problems along the way, i.e. OCS or IFS/API housing allowance or insurance? My recruiter said she needed to change her name ASAP but I feel like that shouldn't matter as long as I have the piece of paper saying we're married. Any info is good info right about now...thanks

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
I wouldn't think having a different name is a big deal, I'm sure lots of spouses out there keep their names. That being said, changing everything again when she does switch over will be a pain in the arse. I'm not sure how you go about amending a marriage certificate to switch her name, that may come with a whole different set of issues.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I wouldn't think having a different name is a big deal, I'm sure lots of spouses out there keep their names. That being said, changing everything again when she does switch over will be a pain in the arse. I'm not sure how you go about amending a marriage certificate to switch her name, that may come with a whole different set of issues.
Noted, thanks a lot. That's what I'm thinking as well as far as the changes after. Still have a month to commit, just making sure we attempt to get it right the first time around.

Thanks again

Kaitydid

I don't see why it would be an issue. I kept my last name and we haven't run into any problems. For special events, ceremonies, etc I just usually use my husband's last name to makes things easier/less confusing but legally it's still my maiden name. We've had zero issues with anything including pay or BAH when he was in flight training or at his squadron.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I don't see why it would be an issue. I kept my last name and we haven't run into any problems. For special events, ceremonies, etc I just usually use my husband's last name to makes things easier/less confusing but legally it's still my maiden name. We've had zero issues with anything including pay or BAH when he was in flight training or at his squadron.
Just what I needed to hear, thanks a lot and I'll pass the news along

Kaitydid

Also marriage certificates and birth certificates always list the woman's maiden last name anyway so it doesn't matter when/if she changes her last name in terms of that paperwork. Regardless of when she decides to change her name it will require the same amount if effort-- social security card, credit cards, license, passport, etc.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Also marriage certificates and birth certificates always list the woman's maiden last name anyway so it doesn't matter when/if she changes her last name in terms of that paperwork. Regardless of when she decides to change her name it will require the same amount if effort-- social security cars, credit cards license, etc.
BP keeps on dropping, thanks again:)

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
also, the OCS website instructs me to bring my spouse's ID card and and original social security card when I report...is there an easier way to do this so I dont have to have her cards with me for 3 months. It mentioned "if not already entered into DEERs" can this be done at a recruiting station or does it have to be OCS?

Coulanon

1 per diem, 2 per diem, 3 per diem, floor!
When I swore in I had the intent of getting my wife into DEERS at that time as well but was told because we are in IRR status until we report to OCS we are unable to do so. Instead I had them make copies of her ID and documents that they then certified as originals to send along with the rest of my stuff to OTCN so that I don't have to take her driver's license with me. I believe the spouse will also be able to do so themselves after we report at any station that produces military ID's with a copy of our orders and their same documentation.

Edit- Am also doing reciprocating power of attorneys so we can each take care of things for each other on our end while separated.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
thanks. I'll be sure to have them certify everything before I take off so at least I'll have the info with me

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I changed my name immediately, but "immediately" meant "within a couple weeks". I got my military ID before that change. Interestingly, I don't recall them asking about my name and I am certain I didn't go back and get another ID after my trip to the SS office to do the name change. That leads me to believe they let me put my married name on the ID, even though it wasn't yet official. Regardless, I know I had nothing other than the license showing we were married and then ID with my maiden name, and it was fine.

Assuming you trust her, do a general POA before you go, but be aware that many places balk at accepting the General, so she still may hit a few walls. Add her name to whatever you intend to do so for before you go, if at all possible.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
and I thought the proposal was the difficult part...My biggest concern is that we wouldn't limit ourselves in any way by having different last names. Please excuse my ignorance to the situation but I'm new to the game, both military and soon to be married. I appreciate the help and after this information I should be able to ask the right questions. Thank you ladies and gents, such a big help.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Just take her passport, social and birth certificate. That is what I did as she had no reason for her passport while I was gone.