• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marksmanship

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Another way to look at this and @Random8145's points, I think I've gotten to the point where I look at politicians all the same way, regardless of background. As we all know, any community in and out of the military has its assholes, prima donnas, etc., but I feel like there's an increasingly common denominator of folks who would even want to be elected officials these days, especially at State and Federal level, and it's not 'servant leader' types. So I think this is more selection bias - there are good SEALs and asshole SEALs I'm sure, but playing 'who wants to be a Congressman' is probably statistically more likely given political climate to draw from the latter population.
The issue here is this is a political party issue, not a personal issue. Unless you can feed the partisans red meat the two political committees (republican and democrat) won’t touch you and that means they won’t fund you. Most ordinary people can’t afford to run for office and most decent people would be happy to compromise for the sake of the nation…that is not what the parties want. I don’t know a thing about the candidate in Montana. The story about the injury is so vague (a result of poor reporting AND poor responding from his camp) and unusual it kind of slips into political nothingness. In other words, those who like the guy will scream “hit job!” and those who hate him will scream “liar and fake!”

As with most of these stories I don’t get to vote for the good/bad person so I wish the people of Montana a good election and all happiness with their choice.

Random8145

The point that I was going to make, except clearer and more briefly stated.

Think about it like this @Random8145 , how many of the top software coding people would also be the best person to go out and sell the final product? Two different skill sets, that don't often intersect.

The personality traits that make someone thrive in the NSW community might also be potentially problematic if not restrained by leadership, policy and/or culture of a command. Supposedly, the Army's Tier 1 unit has not had as many issues since they source people that are older and have been exposed to the other side of the military versus SEALs which predominantly come from the civilian world straight in to special operations.
I understand that, but there is a difference between being an actual bad person versus being say a jerk. Cocky a-holes who aren't unethical but just are jerks I can see becoming Special Ops, but I just had the impression most were otherwise moral/ethical people.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Another way to look at this and @Random8145's points, I think I've gotten to the point where I look at politicians all the same way, regardless of background. As we all know, any community in and out of the military has its assholes, prima donnas, etc., but I feel like there's an increasingly common denominator of folks who would even want to be elected officials these days, especially at State and Federal level, and it's not 'servant leader' types. So I think this is more selection bias - there are good SEALs and asshole SEALs I'm sure, but playing 'who wants to be a Congressman' is probably statistically more likely given political climate to draw from the latter population.
I think your points are correct, and aligns with my prior assertion that the former Interior Secretary is a D-Bag. He was trading off his brand of being a former SEAL to make waves as a cabinet secretary.. it kind of blew up on him, but not really (he's doing fine).

I suspect there was a revolt among the interior Dept beaurocrats when he proposed that GS-14's and above fan out across the NCR to conduct field day inspections of their underling's residences. 😆