• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marking Gear prior to OCS

E6286

OCC 191 Select
When we mark our socks and other things we are bringing of our own, I have heard it doesn't matter how we mark it. However, I am still going to try to stick to the regs just for good practice.

Regarding socks, when we mark them at the top across the foot, is our name supposed to be facing us when the sock is on, facing out when the sock is on, or does it not matter?

Also, for marking dark gear, the regs say use white, but for my black socks and other black things I have heard silver sharpie is fine. Is that only for personal stuff or for all stuff?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Never had anyone check the marking of my socks and i doubt you will either. Whatever works best is fine. The only "dark gear" I can think of would be socks. Once you get your regs, you'll have the proper placement and all. Use the marking kit you'll buy there.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Okay, so for our personal gear like socks, libo gear, and everything else we bring we can mark however we want? Also, for things like toiletries, is it alright to just stick tape on em and mark our last name on the tape? I just figured it would be good to have everything marked so when pickup occurs I can hopefully relocate most of my trash.

On a second note, regarding ziplocks: Should I stick my whole shaving kit in one zip lock or should I put the items in individually with the shaving bag just in a ziplock as well? Wasn't sure how much they really make us dump everything.

DimndDave14

Hey E6286 stop thinking so much. You do not need to prepare your trash like you are expecting a strip search by the Nazis or something. On pick up you will just turn your trash upside down and dump it out. They dont bother with little stuff like shaving kit bags or stuff like that. Also the only thing they really check to see if its marked is your 782 gear so bring about 6 rolls of white tape intially you can buy more on hair cut days which is once a week. Also if your PT shirt and PT sweatshirt is properly marked with your company and platoon number.
Another tip during pick up is to tie your boots together so you know which are yours. During pick up someone some how got a hold of my see bag with ALL OF MY TRASH. So I spent the next three days scrounging around to get stuff. I spent the first week walking around in a med-Long blouse, small-long trousers, L-boot13 ICB and R-boot 11.5 Jungle. I could not even get the proper matching boot size or type. Weird thing is they never noticed or just didnt say anything. If that happens people are always willing to wheel and deal.
With inspections everybody gets ripped, the number 1 in the company which was in my platoon recieved an unfavorable on his inspections until week 7. I saw one candidate that missed the first button on his blouse so all the buttons were off by one. Then he had rust on his rifle and didnt properly arrange his junk on the bunk. The Insrtuctors just flipped his rack over, pulled is locker out into the highway and made him repeat "I am 22 and my mommy still has to dress me" over and over until the inspection was done. And he still was able to go out on libo that night. So just chill and give it 110%. Also on more thing always take a deep breath before you sound and think about exactly what you want to say.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
E6286 said:
Okay, so for our personal gear like socks, libo gear, and everything else we bring we can mark however we want? Also, for things like toiletries, is it alright to just stick tape on em and mark our last name on the tape? I just figured it would be good to have everything marked so when pickup occurs I can hopefully relocate most of my trash.

On a second note, regarding ziplocks: Should I stick my whole shaving kit in one zip lock or should I put the items in individually with the shaving bag just in a ziplock as well? Wasn't sure how much they really make us dump everything.

Mark your personal gear how you want, it doesn't really matter...and as for dumping your trash, well depending on the staff, most will dump EVERYTHING...

stevo01

dude, chill the f*ck out...i told you once that you are stressing way to much.

u will be fine...i can promise you that once you are there "gettin some" you will laugh at all the little things you stressed over..

best of luck and stay motivated.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
stevo01 said:
dude, chill the f*ck out...i told you once that you are stressing way to much.

u will be fine...i can promise you that once you are there "gettin some" you will laugh at all the little things you stressed over..

best of luck and stay motivated.

Yes. Now is the time to push all the extra bullshit about marking gear, running shoes, boots, socks, PFT run course, O-course, e-course, quigley, academics and whatever else you're worried about out of your head.

Here's some advice. Go out with your buddies and drink beer, watch football, and eat a big steak nice and slowly. Go home late and have sex with your wife/girlfriend...repeatedly. The next morning, sleep in. I guarantee all your questions will be answered shortly.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
yea, part of OCS is for them to evaluate your ability to adapt.....knowing all the secrets wont give the staff the ability to evaluate you to your full potential. And i wouldnt call them secrets as much as common sense....it's just hard to remember every thing when you are running on 0.

stevo01

DocT said:
Yes. Now is the time to push all the extra bullshit about marking gear, running shoes, boots, socks, PFT run course, O-course, e-course, quigley, academics and whatever else you're worried about out of your head.

Here's some advice. Go out with your buddies and drink beer, watch football, and eat a big steak nice and slowly. Go home late and have sex with your wife/girlfriend...repeatedly. The next morning, sleep in. I guarantee all your questions will be answered shortly.

shit, i wish i would have had that advice when i went to 188...lmao..