• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marines AW: Please ID these weapons if you would...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For our Green Side folks, can you help me identify the weapons in this pic ?

I'm thinking the bolt action weapon is an improved M40 in 7.62mm and the AR variant is some sort of designatated marksman weapon - I don't think it's an SR-25 because that would be 7.62 as well and the rifle in the picture appears to be 5.56 as best as I can make out. [EDIT] It is indeed an SR-25 in 7.62 mm by Knight's Armament Corp. The good folks at AR15 dot COM pointed out the upper receiver profile and gas block which apparently is the tell-tale. Question is - when did USMC start fielding it and BZ USMC on the cool factor!!

Anyways, take a look and see what you guys think...

Link to hi-res photo

web_070215-N-5567K-001.jpg

skidz

adrenaline junky
The second and forth rifles are SR-15's. It doesn't look as though the magazine well is large enough to be the SR-25 7.62. Don't know about the first and third, but they seem like regular M40's with a front rail attached on them.

EDIT: I found the pictures for comparison. (I don't know how to resize or put as an attachment, given that the third pic is rather large. mods?)
SR-15 -- I recognized the slip ring, rather unique to Stoner Rifles.
kacsr25-1.jpeg

M40 -- The second stock looks like a match, just without the forward rail. (picture of this specific stock is at the very bottom of the link)
SoldierTech_Rifles_3.jpg

Here's a match
M-40A3.jpg

Mitch

disease free
M40A3. It replaced the A1 beginning a few years back, however some units were still shooting the A1. US Optics now builds the scope that is similar to the Unertl used on the A1. The jury's still out and you'll get a lot of different takes on which one is better. Most don't shoot off the stock bipods. There aren't as sturdy as they appear (unless they've had a mod in the last few years). Buttpack was generally the preferred technique from the prone.

Mitch

disease free
Re: targets. 10" at 1000 yds is the same as 1" at 100 yds. It's still a minute of angle and you can bring it in even closer if you have to (to a point). It's essentially the same way you zero an M16 for the rifle range (30 some yards on a small target v. 300 on a bigger one). Not that one can tell from the photo that they're shooting to zero, but the standard is a minute of angle (or better) regarless of what you're shooting at.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
So, little paper cutouts on the edge of the deck? Or the deck of another boat? :)

From my Dad the Ordie in the pic:

The targets we use at sea to support small arms gun shoots are called Killer Tomatoes (K/Ts). They are approximately 15' by 15' huge rubber cubes. We launch them off the fantail and then the ship maneuvers to position them alongside (right and then left) for the various gun mount stations to engage. We normally launch two of them so that each side of the ship can have one to shoot at for practice.
snipingnc9.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
AR solved - It's the MK11 Mod 0 Rifle SWS

OK ladies, thanks to a couple of jarheads emailing me and pointing me to a Wikipedia article, I can safely conclude that the AR's in the picture are indeed the new 7.62 x 51 NATO highly accurized semi-auto sniper system that is officially adopted by USMC. It is not a 5.56 weapon!!

In any case, I want one!!!!!

From the article:

The SR25M is in use with the US Marine Corps as a sniper rifle . This weapon, along with a KAC sound suppressor, Daytime variable zoom riflescope optic, Versapod bipod, and iron sights have been type classified by the US military as the Mk11 Mod 0. In November, 2005, the USMC announced it was buying 180 Mk11 Mod 0 rifles in response to an emergency request from II Marine Expeditionary Force commanders in Iraq. The USMC hopes to get the rifles in the hands of Marines by February 2006. The bolt-action M40 sniper rifle currently in use is reportedly not ideally suited for the urban environment. According to the Army Times, "the 20-round magazine and higher rate of fire also helps make the MK11 a defensive weapon, eliminating the need for snipers to carry three weapons — the M40A3, an M16A4 rifle and M9 pistol — on their way to a hide, snipers say." An added advantage of the MK11, according to Army Times, "particularly in an urban fight where the enemy lurks among the population sharing the roads and alleys with Marines on patrol, is the rifle’s resemblance to a standard M16A4."

300px-Marine_Mk11_Mod0.jpg

phrogpilot73

From my Dad the Ordie in the pic:

The targets we use at sea to support small arms gun shoots are called Killer Tomatoes (K/Ts). They are approximately 15' by 15' huge rubber cubes. We launch them off the fantail and then the ship maneuvers to position them alongside (right and then left) for the various gun mount stations to engage. We normally launch two of them so that each side of the ship can have one to shoot at for practice.
Nope. What you will generally see is Marines get wood boards, staple the targets to them and shove the wood boards into a gap on the elevator. The only time (in two shipboard based deployments) that I have seen stuff thrown into the water is for aerial gun shoots.

Skeet

Banned
OK ladies, thanks to a couple of jarheads emailing me and pointing me to a Wikipedia article, I can safely conclude that the AR's in the picture are indeed the new 7.62 x 51 NATO highly accurized semi-auto sniper system that is officially adopted by USMC. It is not a 5.56 weapon!!

In any case, I want one!!!!!

Check out his site. You may buy one, if you have the quals.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1

They have more rifles than you can imagine.

skidz

adrenaline junky
You're better off buying one directly from Knight's Armament, but it'll take about a year to get to you and a few grand out of your pocket.

Stupid me on the SR-15 mistake. I should have been looking at the mag in the guy's hand rather than the magazine well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nope. What you will generally see is Marines get wood boards, staple the targets to them and shove the wood boards into a gap on the elevator. The only time (in two shipboard based deployments) that I have seen stuff thrown into the water is for aerial gun shoots.

Concur. The Killer Tomatoes are for crew-served or bigger guns. Small arms training is done w/ targets on the flight deck.