• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marines and cellphones in news

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Latest news on visible cellphones when in uniform (don't do it!)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's news?!? So few people actually were issued a command cellphone, it was generally only the headshed that you saw wearing it.

Must. Put. The. Crackberry. Down.

Yes. must! I'm on my third gen BBerry after a series of Palmpilots. THought I couldn't live without it, but when the latest one had issues, I went cold turkey and finally weaned myself from it and feel released from an addiction.

phrogpilot73

Yes. must! I'm on my third gen BBerry after a series of Palmpilots. THought I couldn't live without it, but when the latest one had issues, I went cold turkey and finally weaned myself from it and feel released from an addiction.
I guess I live in a glass house, and therefore shouldn't throw stones... I don't have a crackberry, but I have a Treo. When it kicked the bucket - I was waiting for the new one to arrive, and I had to rely on a <gasp> normal cell phone. My wife teased me because I instantly started forgetting appointments, things I had to do, etc...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I live in a glass house, and therefore shouldn't throw stones... I don't have a crackberry, but I have a Treo. When it kicked the bucket - I was waiting for the new one to arrive, and I had to rely on a <gasp> normal cell phone. My wife teased me because I instantly started forgetting appointments, things I had to do, etc...

I still carry ot because I like the display/other feature and use it as a phone, but left email disabled and do touch and goes on laptop to check email.

gotta_fly

pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogpilot73

I'm facing the same addiction to my treo... the thing is so worn out that I had to order new screws/ tools to get it back together. If that doesn't work I might have to suffer through using my memory or (God forbid) a pen/paper organizer...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My Blackberry is currently tits-up (the speaker and earpiece died, and I'm not receiving calls/emails), and I'm hurting. (I bribed a comm guy to give me access to the BES, so that it would look like I was at work.) I have to wait 48 whole hours until I get a new one...

cisforsmasher

pilot
well you arent exactly supposed to keep it in your pockets, especially in service uniforms. But yes, you do look like a pretty big tool walking around wearing said electronic leash. With the exception of uniforms that have blouses to cover the bulges in your pockets and flight suits there are not many spots to hide you phone, wallet, and keys. You almost need a manpurse to keep your stuff together. A helmet bag or briefcase are the best alternatives I have found.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
If by 'dush-baggery' [sic] you mean that it makes you look like a bigger tool box than a top-of-the-line rolling Snap-On wall lockers, then yes, I'll address it: It's more gay than Dieter from 'Sprockets'.

VAmookie

If by 'dush-baggery' [sic] you mean that it makes you look like a bigger tool box than a top-of-the-line rolling Snap-On wall lockers.

I have never heard that before. Call CBS, the NFL, FBI, and MPAA; I do not have expressed written consent, but im stealing it

nvrg1vup

I'm not a huge fan of duty phones anyway. They either never work, or they never work...so when you have a missed call...you tell them it didn't work and they tell you to hit the treeline. I miss the corps.

Junior

pilot
I would rather carry a man purse than wear a cell phone clipped to my body anyday. I laugh everytime I see somebody 'wearing' a cell phone.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Speaking of phones...

I'll be getting my parents a cell phone shortly and while I'm not sure they "need" a smartphone, if that's the way we decide to go, I'm curious to get the opinions of those users here. If they went w/ a smart phone, the ability to surf the web and check email would be the primary use (mostly email). My concern is the user interface. I've heard people love their Blackberries, but I've never used them so I don't know how easy it is to use. The iPhone would be the "best" UI for them, I'd think, but they're w/ Verizon (because I am), so that's out.

Thoughts? Crackberry better than a WinCe phone (or whatever they call them now)?