• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marinenet Questions

I was wondering if there's an easy way to find which marinenet course do NOT require a proctor? I don't live near one of the authorized educational centers, so it is, as the french say "inconvenient". Yes, that lower case "f" was intentional. So far, it looks like I have to start registering for the course before it says "PROCTOR REQUIRED" in red.

A quick google search found me four marinenet courses that don't require a proctor (or passing the test, I guess), but it looks like maybe they've been removed, or I'm incapable of searching for the properly.

Finally, how does the proctor system work? I travel to DC fairly often, and was thinking I run to Quantico to bang out a few tests--do I need to make an appointment, or is it something like I show up with my ID and take the test there, so they know I'm not paying my neighbor to take the test for me?

BTW, it looks like the USMC courses are a lot more interesting and relevant today's world than the Navy Knowledge Online or Navy correspondence courses!

phrogpilot73

The only way I've found so far is exactly as you describe. As for proctors - damn near anyone can be a proctor, but I think it's safe to say that the educational office on Quantico likely has a proctor. When I used the MCAS NR education office to proctor an Embry Riddle exam, it was me showing them an ID card and going. Basically, when you start to take the test on MarineNet - your proctor has to provide the login & password to MarineNet before you have access to the test. Makes it easy because a guy I work with is a proctor, and he just logs in when I'm ready to take the test.

JTAC Primer is a good one that's interesting, and if you've had fires experience in the past (CAS Pilot, Artillery, etc...) is pretty easy - no proctor required. Systems Approach to Training is boring as FUCK, but it nets you one retirement point, and has no proctor.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't like the French?

I've taken dozens of MarineNet course, and none of them required a proctor. Then again, the ones I've taken are general subject annual training-type stuff, plus some Rosetta Stone.

The MCI-type courses that need proctors don't require any huge thing. My units have always just used S-3 reps or division training NCOs. It's not like the SATs.

Yup, I'm all about the retirement points first, actually bettering myself second. Let me know if anybody comes upon any points-w/o-proctor exams. Thanks!

MonkUSMC

Playing the waiting game
I've came across 2 I know of that gave me points, and possibly a 3rd. The basic Motor T PMCS of a 7-ton and Cat-12 Engine gave me points for sure. They didn't even have a test and took about 30minutes each to complete. I just did the transmission of a 7-ton and am going to see if it gives me any.

candidate2010

Anyone care to explain how the 'retirement points' thing works, please?

As for figuring out which ones require a proctor, all you have to do is look at the 'FULL DETAILS' tab of the course, down towards the bottom it either says '

Proctoring Requirements On-Line Test Content is Not Proctored
or

Proctoring Requirements No On-Line Test Content

Which I believe means there is a proctored test.

phrogpilot73

Anyone care to explain how the 'retirement points' thing works, please?
It's only applicable for reservists... So probably not all that important for you NOW - but maybe important in the future...

1 point = 1 day of active duty
50 points/year = "good" year, creditable towards retirement (provided you also got 15 membership points, which only happens at the end of a full year)
IDT/RIDT/ATP/AFTP - you can get 2 points per day you're there (two 4 hour blocks, each 4 hour block is 1 point)
MAX points you can acquire in a year from Active Duty (ADOS), IDT/RIDT/AFTP/ATP/RMP, correspondence, etc... = 365

Once you have 20 good years, you retire. Don't draw your retirement pay until age 60. Don't draw the same as an AD guy, you draw based on points. Total points/365 = How many years you were in for calculation of retirement pay.

More points = more money come retirement. Clear as mud?

candidate2010

Haha, yes, Sir. I'm sorry I asked. I guess I will just wait until I get closer to needing that! Thanks for explaining, though.