• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine to be awarded Medal of Honor

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why almost three years too? It seems a bit too long..........:confused:
Yes, but at least it shows that the process is deliberate and selective. Not all combat valor rates the Medal of Honor. To me, it's a sign that those in charge of giving out this decoration are taking the time do do it correctly, and give it only to those deserving. A breath of fresh air in this era of medal inflation and the ADD-inflicted 24-hour news media.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but at least it shows that the process is deliberate and selective. Not all combat valor rates the Medal of Honor. To me, it's a sign that those in charge of giving out this decoration are taking the time do do it correctly, and give it only to those deserving. A breath of fresh air in this era of medal inflation and the ADD-inflicted 24-hour news media.

I agree the process is deliberate and selective, but if someone jumps on a grenade and saves his fellow soldiers why does it take that long to award it? I am all for making absolutely sure that someone deserves it but I think that is taken a little too far right now. From what I have read about people being awarded it from WWII on, most were awarded in less time (of course, there are several exceptional cases but I am not talking about those). A Medal of Honor awarded to a B-29 aircrewman in WWII was presented within days of his act because they did not think he would survive http://www.af.mil/history/person.asp?dec=&pid=123006484. That is an exceptional case but even Captain William McGonagle, the skipper of the USS Liberty, was awarded his MOH just over a year after the incident took place.

It is a prestigous enough honor that it should be awarded more quickly if warranted.

sarnav

PO2 Monsoor and SGT Peralta are also being considered. Their heroism was more recent which IMO is why they have not been awarded. All three are true heroes. RIP.

phrogpilot73

Same here. I wonder why the Medal of Honor continues to be awarded posthumously recently. In my mind, SgtMaj Kasal definitely deserves it for his actions.
I disagree... SgtMaj Kasal is well regarded amongst those who know him as a "gloryhound." A "gloryhound" is not worthy of the Medal of Honor, and in my mind - SgtMaj Kasal got what was deserved.

Every Medal of Honor Citation starts the same way: "For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty" A man who is willing to give his life for his comrades shows this, I don't believe SgtMaj Kasal did...

skidz

adrenaline junky
I disagree... SgtMaj Kasal is well regarded amongst those who know him as a "gloryhound." A "gloryhound" is not worthy of the Medal of Honor, and in my mind - SgtMaj Kasal got what was deserved.
I did not know that. Thanks for filling me in on that, all I knew about him was what I read about him on usmc.mil.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Every Medal of Honor Citation starts the same way: "For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty" A man who is willing to give his life for his comrades shows this, I don't believe SgtMaj Kasal did...

Any more detail on your description of him?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Same here. I wonder why the Medal of Honor continues to be awarded posthumously recently. In my mind, SgtMaj Kasal definitely deserves it for his actions.

Recently? There aren't many MOH recently, and throughout history most are posthumous. Considering the acts that need to be performed in order to be considered for one, there is a reason why they are given posthumously.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recently? There aren't many MOH recently, and throughout history most are posthumous. Considering the acts that need to be performed in order to be considered for one, there is a reason why they are given posthumously.

It is only since WWII that the Medal of Honor has been awarded posthumusly most of the time. Since more than half of the awards were in the Civil War and the Indian Campaigns it skews the numbers in comparison to the most recent ones, but it has increasingly been awarded posthumusly since WWI. Here are the official numbers:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohstats.htm

Pags

N/A
pilot
It is only since WWII that the Medal of Honor has been awarded posthumusly most of the time. Since more than half of the awards were in the Civil War and the Indian Campaigns it skews the numbers in comparison to the most recent ones, but it has increasingly been awarded posthumusly since WWI. Here are the official numbers:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohstats.htm

Hasn't criteria for recieving the Medal Of Honor changed to become more stringent since the Medal was created? When the Medal was first signed into law, it was a Navy medal and the criteria was:
"which shall be bestowed upon such petty officers, seamen, landsmen and marines as shall distinguish themselves by their gallantry in action and other seamanlike qualities during the present war (Civil War)."

phrogpilot73

Any more detail on your description of him?
Unfortunately, nothing first hand. I have never met the man, but many SNCO's in the Battalion do not mince their words when they talk about him. They say that he was always concerned with what awards he rated. I wish I could expand more, but I can't.