• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine% that becomes a jet .vs. helo pilot at UPT

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
I'm sure that statistically your primary NSS is a "somewhat" valuable predictor of your performance in the next phase of training, but (isn't there always a but) you have to be honest with yourself at selection time. Know yourself and seek self improvement. Did you struggle to get jet grades if you got them or was it pretty easy. Could you handle alot more, could you put in more time. Also know that although each phase of training will seem progressively more challenging than the last, and you'll wonder what you did with all your free time at the last squadron, certain procedural things will become second nature and memorization and brief preperation will seem easier. If it's a tweener (gradewise) the XO or CO might even call you into his office to explain a bit about the rigors of Jet training, and tell you that he attrited guys from the RAG when he was an instructor there. You'll be afraid of failure no matter where you go, but that's because of your desire to succeed. And when you drive into Kingsville or Meridian and see the orange and white jets coming into the break at 400kts you'll think "what am I getting myself into?" And sometimes in the training command and especially in the rag the coolest thing about flying jets is saying you fly jets, because it can suck when it's not going well. That will pass, and you have to remember a bad day flying is better than a great day walking. You'll be fine in flight school, if it's for you. If you don't make it, you'll die knowing you went there and tried it which is all anyone can do. A good friend of mine killed himself when he attrited from flight school and I've never forgiven him. You should all be very proud just to be considering this line of work. There is no less appropriate reaction to failure of any sort than suicide. If someone decides you aren't what the navy is looking for in a pilot then at least you made them look at you.

As for my RAG attrited friend, because everyone knew him as a hard worker his board agreed that he could fly other aircraft, but not jets. I haven't called him in a while. I'll have to check up on him. That stress you speak of will not go away until you finish the FRS, at least not completely. It had gotten so stressful for him that he almost seemed relieved when he found out he was done. He had never smiled so much even though he was wearing the punishment suit, he was in good spirits. Like I said, as disappointed as he might have been, he seemed to know that there was nothing more he could have done. I hold him in very high regard as a person for doing everything in his power to make his own dream come true. How many of us have conversations with people who thought about being a naval aviator, or thought about even getting a pilot's license but never did. Guys who fail in flight school are not to be looked down upon unless they just don't give a hoot and never study and get booted for that.

stay motivated

Mustangable

Hey, gents. I've been coming to this site quite a bit and just reading everything that Marine aviators have to say from their experiences about their training, etc. (quite a lot to take in). I'm former enlisted, interested in PLC and an aviation contract. I've been out for about two years and have a bit of PT homework to do to before I can even qual for PLC, but it's coming along slow and steady.

I wanted to let all Marines who are currently in the Pensacola area know that you have an open invite, anytime, to bring yourself, your family and your buddies on over to my place and we can BBQ and swap sea stories (I'm about 15 min. away from NAS).

Beetle: hope your "finals" went smoothly. The wife and I will be out of state for a couple weeks (she'll be meeting her Mother-in-law for the first time) but I'll be checking this site and will let you know when we get back. We look forward to having you all. S/F

Ben

nastypilot

I can give the numbers from the Jul 31 selection for Marines. 10 total. 4 jet, 1 c-130, and 5 helo. Right now if you post above a 50 NSS in the Marines you will go jets, but how long that will last is always uncertain. Can't wait to see the 400kt break, it is gonna be quite a change from 170. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. I still have the Primary gouge fresh in my head and can answer questions from OCS and TBS too.

Semper Fi

Deke

orthaj

gents
I am a recently commissioned 2nd Lt with an aviation contract. I don't report to TBS until november. I have my private pilots liscense and am considering getting my IFR. But before I do this I would like some input from Aviators currently in the training program. Is working towards an IFR on the civilian side going to enable myself with any advantage when I arrive at Pensacola next summer or should I focus my time and energy elsewhere such as PME readings for TBS? Another question I have is concerning available time to fly on weekends while at TBS to keep proficient at basic flying skills. Is there enough time to accomplish this or will I be back burnering my pilot skills in order to be the technically and tactically infantry officer. Any input would be appreciated.
AJ Orth

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Well, I am not a student in the training program but I am an instructor so maybe I can help. :) The more flight time, the better. Get as much as you can before TBS, don't worry about it while at TBS, and then do some at Pensacola Regional or Milton when you arrive in PCola. Having flown before, you have an advantage and an instrument rating will be even more beneficial.

Couple of other things to help you out. If there is a long wait time between TBS and API, try and get Permissive TAD orders to a reserve squadron. There you can get a feel for military aviation and get some stick time in whatever squadron you go to. There are no reserve Harrier or Prowler squadrons, so you would go to a reserve F/A-18 or C-130 squadron. You could also go to a reserve CH-53E, CH-46E, or skid squadron and get a chance to fly helos - it might be your only chance ever to fly a helo if you select jets. Also, if you end up going helos - and there is a long wait between intermediates and helos, you can go back to the reserve helo squadron and get some more stick time. I am sure some of the lieutenants on this board can give you an idea of how long the pools are. Good Luck.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Just to reinforce that, my ppl and flight time helped a lot in API. If I was learning it for the first time, it would have really sucked. With the wait time, go to matsg.com and look at the board. After you’re done with TBS, they will put your name up their, it shows the date that your orders have you report, and then your API class date. It is a fluid process, kinda like the fat kid squeezing on a log of cookie dough, you never know how hungry they are for pilots. If you see 8/18 after somebody’s name in a slot for 9/18, that equals a month wait for that person, if there is a number with no name, that slot is open…you’ll figure it out.
With the PME, don’t stress your self out, everybody graduates TBS unless a: you suck b: you break yourself c: drunk driving
It's important, and definitely take a look at the tbs website, they got all your pubs up there. The best book to read is MCDP-1, basically a guy in a think tank combined Sun Tzu and Clausewitz into a Barney-style book for Marines - it is online as well.

My question: my license has to be at least a few years out of date, is there any way to use the military flight physical to get one for civilian? I probably won’t have time before primary, but it would be nice to start becoming familiar with the area before I’m thrown to the wolves.

rjacobs

BigWorm: If you are refering to your medical certificate, you can not use the flight physical to get your FAA physical back. It only takes about 20 minutes and 80 bucks to get your FAA physical. If you are refering to your actual FAA pilot certificate, you never truely lose it, you just lose the privilages and if so you just need to go get a BFR with an instructor which would take about 2-3 hours.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
Originally posted by rjacobs
BigWorm: If you are refering to your medical certificate, you can not use the flight physical to get your FAA physical back. It only takes about 20 minutes and 80 bucks to get your FAA physical.

Your military flight physical doesn't just count as your FAA physical, but a flight doc can get qualified to do class 3 and class 2 physicals. They can't just do it because they're a flight doc, but if they get the qual, which usually at least one per clinic will have, they can do class 3 and class 2, and it's free of course.

AirJarhead

Hey Guys,
I've been in Kingsville (jets) for a little over a month. I'd like to comment on a few posts:
Mach3-I would say that 70-80% want to be jet pilots before they start Primary. Then after flying for a while, getting a taste of all the studying, and hearing about the jet attrition rate a lot of guys change their minds. Lately, there have been a lot of disapointed Marines. There have been quite a few that asked for helos, but were given jets because they had over a 50 NSS. There have also been a lot that wanted jets, but didn't have a 50. Right now the hardest platform to get in the Marines is C-130s. When I selected (26 June) selections were:
2 jets
1 C-130
5 helos

Chiplee-Do you know Mark McCauley? I went to college with him, and I talked to him a lot when I was in P-Cola, but since he hit the Hornet RAG I haven't heard from him much.

Rob_ERAU-I heard the last jet class to graduate went like this:
3 Hornets
2 Harriers
2 Prowlers (Unusual-normally none)

Deke-Why's you go to Meridian you Nasty Thing?

fnewton

Chiplee-

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm glad you responded to the topic. I select next week from primary and I think the life after primary gouge was running thin. I've talked to guys from Meridian and guys from south field here in Whiting and NO ONE is disappointed with what they get. I want jets, but I'll take whatever. And now I have a perspective from someone who has recently seen advanced jets and the RAG.

As for guys asking about the jet draft, I'll post the outcoome for next week...next week. S/F.

Status
Not open for further replies.