• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine super hortnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

I know the Navy is starting to operate the F/A-18F but will the Marine Corps operate the F/A-18F or will they continue to fly the D model?

Also, I know that starting soon Marine Corps F/A-18s and EA-6s will start deploying more and more on Navy aircraft carriers. I just wanted to know how often Marine F/A-18 pilots would deploy onto Navy aircraft carriers. Would Marine pilots go to sea as much as Navy pilots?

Thank you.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The D will continue to fly in the USMC, along with the other models. The Corps does not plan on getting the E/F. Marine F-18 squadrons, except for Ds, will be in the carrier mix. I don't know if they will be aboard as much as the Navy squadrons.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
There are currently four Marine C squadrons in air wings (two PAC, two LANT). The TACAIR integration will increase that to ten (one for each airwing). In order to get enough C squadron to put one in each air wing, the D's will probably go the reserves. This allows the Navy to decom some Hornet squadrons to save $$$ while maintaining the airwing mix.

The Marine EA-6B's will not go to the boat since there are enough Navy Prowler squadrons to handle that load. The Marine EA-6B's in conjunction with the Navy expeditionary squadrons (133,134,142) cover Iwakuni and other land bases as needed to support the USAF and other commitments. For example, expeditionary squadrons are deploying to Bagram AFB, Afghanistan. :eek: Personally, I'd rather spend six months on the boat and go to Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia.

As another benefit, the DCAG (he may be CAG by now) for CVW-9 is a Marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.