• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OSO in DC area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghead1

Does anyone know the contact info for the OSO in the DC area? I have sent my information in to the Marine website, but every time I get anything back, it says contact your local OSO. Should I contact the recruiting office? Any info would be appreciated.

king1579

Yes, that's what did when I became interested in the (PLC) program. In my area, and I would think it's the same where you are, there is a Marine office for enlisted recruiting and a seperate one for officers.

Hope the info helps. I know I was at first confused when I just recieved an e-mail.

King1579

reapergm

I have the Hyattsville #. I dont know how far that is from DC though. I also know the contact # that I got in college. I went to UMD, College Park. I can give you that too.

froghead1

Is the one in Hyattsville an OSO or the recruiting station? I may try the recruiting station in DC and see if they can give me some info. If I don't get anywhere, I'll get that info from you. Thanks for input.

Crowbar

None
I don't think DC is in their listings, but you can get some OSO (and enlisted recruiter) numbers off this website.

http://www.marinesdirect.com/recruiting.php

Brooke

Well, hopefully the Marine Recruiter in Hyattsville is a lot better than the Navy Recruiters in that building. I know Froghead1 wanted the Marine info...but for anyone looking into Navy Recruiters, DO NOT GO TO THE HYATTSVILLE station. Good luck finding one Frog, and although they are two seperate recruiting offices, I recommend you stay on your toes.

froghead1

You know, I tried to contact the Navy office there also, about 4 times, and got no response from anyone, so I ended up going to the Richmond office. If I go through that office with the Marines, I'll keep everyone posted.

reapergm

Actually I hear that the Hyattsville office is one of the best on the east coast. They are even written about in One Of Us. Heres their website: http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Default3.asp

froghead1

I am going to email them now. (Does anyone know if he is the OSO?) It seems like they are active from there website, which is more than I can say for the Navy office there.
Thanks for the link.

froghead1

Reapergm, do you have the contact name/email address of the OSO there? The email addresses I got don't seem to work, or at least most of them.

gq

Brooke, What happend at the Hyattsville, Navy recruit station. I just started the process. I was wondering if you could give me a heads up! Thanks!!

Brooke

GQ, it was absolutely the worst!! I come from a Navy family, Dad retired as an 06 (SEAL) and my step dad a retired Senior Chief.

That being said, although "familiar" with the Navy, I was not completely informed on the app. process. Got in touch w/ the Hyattsville recruiting station in Feb and took my ASTB in March. Scored a 40 w/ 3's and 4's (a terrible score). They "submitted" my package on March 13 w/ Intel as first, Crypto as second. I wait. Three months pass and I don't hear anything; Chief doesn't call, is never there, etc. June 22 I call and want to know what's going on. I find out from the processor that mine (along with a dozen other packages) had never been successfully submitted. This guy is doing mainly Intel kits, so those were the ones affected. Anyway, they assure me it will be taken care of. I stick it out with the moron. July 2 I find out Millington still hasn't rec'd the kit b/c of another error. I demand a new recruiter and get an HM (who's also in charge of the office). She assures me she will be on top of things, apologizes for what's happened, blah blah blah. I don't want to start all over again, so I stick with it. This, I acknowledge, was not a smart move.

I have confirmation on July 12 my kit has been rec'd. Get my physical at Bethesda, and continue to wait.

I hear at the beginning of Sept that I haven't been pro. rec'd for either Intel or Crypto. This was not a complete shock, b/c after all the chaos and errors, I didn't have a great feeling about it. I did not know though, that not only am I completely unqualified for Crypto (so much so that I shouldn't have even put it down), nor did I know that my ASTB score wasn't even high enough to be looked at. My original chief should have told me that, instead I waisted four months. When I got another chief, she should have informed me that the Board only looked at 50's and higher (as well as advise me to change my choices). She didn't.

All in all, I found the Hyattsville station to be full of inept recruiters who had no idea what was going on, and sadly to say, couldn't have cared less. Looking back, my package was extremely weak....but I had no idea. Kept hearing I had a good kit. Had no opportunity to improve it, and no guidance.

I come to Fl and start over with a recruiter in Tampa. This guy is oustanding. The minute I get there, he's straight foward and direct. I take the ASTB over, get a 56 w/ 7's. I basically used the same package (i.e lor's) had to revise my app b/c the form had been updated. I also changed my motivational statement. My Senior Chief wouldn't let anything less than a strong package come out of that office; he gave me pointers, suggestions, and by the time I was finished I felt very informed and confident. This guy cares about his job (he's a NCCS), which I think is the prime distinction.

I've since been pro. rec'd for Intel and Supply and am waiting on acceptance status. Of course not everyone will have had this experience w/ Hyattsville...but I think that if it happened to me, it could certainly happen to someone else. They were careless, uninformed and sloppy. Now that I have the ability to compare that one w/ the one in Tampa, my opinion has only gotten stronger. Just watch your back and be active. Go w/ your gut instincts.

Reapergm: If these guys made it to the top ten, I can't imagine what the "bad" ones are like. Did the Tampa station make it??? I dont' knock anyone who decides to give Hyattsville a shot, and definitley wish then luck. Just wanted to give a heads up on potential problems. As for my original chief, he's been transferred from that office, a positive thing for any Intel hopefuls going through Hyattsville.

Good Luck to everyone!!!

Brooke

froghead1

The link Reapergm sent out was for the Marine recruiters in Hyattsville, not the Navy guys, I think.

After having no luck with Navy in Hyattsville, I went elsewhere, ending up going through the Richmond office. I recommend that office also. The DCCS came all the way up from Norfolk (one of their branch offices), met me at my house in DC, and helped me work on my application, read over the motivational statement, etc. All in all, a much more positive interaction.

reapergm

Frog - That Capt is a woman. Did you try calling the #? Thats the only info I have right now, but I will find out more.

Brooke - I have opinions about OSOs. But on a public forum, I will keep my mouth shut. But, yes, I think some are better than others.

Brooke

See, when you say it like that, I feel like I've done something wrong!!!

Just to clarify...the only OSOs I have an opinion about are the three I've personally delt with. Even though my first attempt was horrible, I don't dare stereotype all OSOs b/c of the two who handled my package in Hyattsville. Luckily, I've done a 180 out with my current recruiter. The first experience was unfortunate, but on the positive side, my determination towards applying only grew stronger. I just know that I would have loved to get a heads up or some gouge for the guys in Hyattsville, that's the only reason I shared my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.