• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine or Navy option for NROTC?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Do you want dining outs & choker whites, or shitting in the woods & yelling Oooh Rahhh????

Renegade One

None
Just curious what everybody's take on this is.
You must have some "other aspirations or desires" beyond the uniform. There are some intersections (similar options, like Naval Aviation), but generally the two services are quite different, in terms of personal desires/motivations, service cultures and most career paths/specialties/designators/MOSs...however you want to label them.

If you want to be a SWO…don't go Marine option, and if you want to be an infantry officer, don't go Navy.

Since you posted an AW, I'm going to make two assumptions:
1. Your PRIMARY desire is to serve your country as a NAVAL officer (refers to both USN and/or USMC)…successful completion of NROTC in either path will get you there…again, HUGE differences, usually the choice is driven by very personal/family legacy/individual challenges reasons.
2. You probably want to FLY. No guarantee of that, specifically, in either path. Assuming you do succeed in that, again…there are some intersections…flying Hornets and someday a variant of the F-35 come to mind. Much of the rest is quite different in terms of T/M/S aircraft, operating environments, mission sets, yadda yadda yadda.

My best advice: Keep your eyes and mind open and see what appeals to you as the experience comes. Don't know when you need to decide…later (after a year?) would be better, because you would get a lot of exposure to folks from both services, but I don't know how the current thing works.

I doubt you'll be disappointed with whatever decision you make. But if there's nothing deep in your gut that says "I wanna be a Marine!", then GO NAVY…BEAT ARMY!;)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You don't need to have the front part of your brain removed and stamped USMC if you go Navy.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
NROTC Navy option scholarships are generally more plentiful (bigger service). You can always start Navy and switch USMC in ROTC if the big green weenie gets you and you like the taste of it.

CharlieMike

Wannabe
Just curious what everybody's take on this is.

I had a friend who applied for one this year who wants to be an aviator, but didn't know for which service. He finally decided on Navy, because if he doesn't become a pilot, he likes the Navy ratings better than the other MOS's Marine officers can get. So that's my .02...choose partly based on what you want to do if you don't become an aviator. Even though the Marines do work with the Navy, there's a part of the Corps that's on the ground, whereas Navy is pretty much sea and air focused, so there's that too.

Now, if you're going by uniform, I don't know, you decide:
5131453306_3285af3b2e_z.jpg

dressblue.jpg