• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Option NROTC

wmcmillian

I am a sophomore in high school and interested in the Marine option NROTC. I was wondering how time consuming and physically and mentally demanding it is during and after training.

getswole0763

I am currently a 4/C Marine Option at the University of San Diego (and acts as cross town affiliate with san diego state, point loma nazarine, cal state san marcos). In regards to PT, we PT monday from 0550-0800, tuesday drill from 0530-0700 then pt from 0715 to 0900. wednesday drill from 1900-2100. thursday pt from 0545 to 0830. friday from 0550-0800. saturday drill from 0645-1000. on top of that we have a naval science class twice a week for 1.5 hours each class. generally we go to mcrd on thursday and go on humps, etc other days at mirimar, pendleton, or other places on off days.

Long story short it is pretty physically demanding for my unit. you certainly value sleep much more. it is also great because about 70-80% of the Marine part of NROTC are made of MECEPS (a total of 60 Marine Options). It provides a very good opportunity to meet many people from the enlisted side, etc. If you are motivated to do it, then do it. if not, you will not make it a semester. give it your all and the experience will be extremely rewarding. if not, then drop :D. good luck with your choice.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...e-NROTC-program?highlight=marine+option+nrotc

Use the search function, and lots of threads like these will pop up where people have asked the same or similar questions

Treetop is right on both counts. Use the search option. The thread he recommended should give you a good idea. Every NROTC unit is different, and the amount of involvement varies based on your year and the officers in the unit (CO, XO, MOI, etc.). Good luck.

getswole0763

Treetop is right on both counts. Use the search option. The thread he recommended should give you a good idea. Every NROTC unit is different, and the amount of involvement varies based on your year and the officers in the unit (CO, XO, MOI, etc.). Good luck.
this as well^^^^

A.E.

I am currently a 4/C Marine Option at the University of San Diego (and acts as cross town affiliate with san diego state, point loma nazarine, cal state san marcos). In regards to PT, we PT monday from 0550-0800, tuesday drill from 0530-0700 then pt from 0715 to 0900. wednesday drill from 1900-2100. thursday pt from 0545 to 0830. friday from 0550-0800. saturday drill from 0645-1000. on top of that we have a naval science class twice a week for 1.5 hours each class. generally we go to mcrd on thursday and go on humps, etc other days at mirimar, pendleton, or other places on off days.

cluea.gif

What is "an awful schedule" for $200, Alex!

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor

Long story short it is pretty physically demanding for my unit. you certainly value sleep much more. it is also great because about 70-80% of the Marine part of NROTC are made of MECEPS (a total of 60 Marine Options). It provides a very good opportunity to meet many people from the enlisted side, etc. If you are motivated to do it, then do it. if not, you will not make it a semester. give it your all and the experience will be extremely rewarding. if not, then drop :D. good luck with your choice.

What's the schedule like for Navy options? That's....intense. Doesn't anybody have 8am classes?

getswole0763

What's the schedule like for Navy options? That's....intense. Doesn't anybody have 8am classes?
haha. i think navy options pt once a week, maybe twice? Also we are instructed to schedule class around our pt times, so there is no conflict.

Another thing i forgot to add is that there are other random things, like community service requirements, color guard, and briefs we are supposed to attend. that's not bad, though.

cameron172

pilot

If you're not a morning person, you become one real quick! I'm a 2/c and my blood is mostly coffee.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I am currently a 4/C Marine Option at the University of San Diego.....pain......
Some people have a legitimately hard life and then there are those that just make life hard. All yut & PT sounds like the second case here. Someone needs to tell your MOI and his Gunny to learn to have fun, drink a few beers, get laid.....

Some people have a legitimately hard life and then there are those that just make life hard. All yut & PT makes sounds like the second case here. Someone needs to tell your MOI and his Gunny to learn to have fun, drink a few beers, get laid.....

I agree that that sounds like a lot of self-inflicted pain. At my unit we PT 3 times a week. We do have FEXs once a semester but 0645 every Saturday sounds awful.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
haha. i think navy options pt once a week, maybe twice? Also we are instructed to schedule class around our pt times, so there is no conflict.

Another thing i forgot to add is that there are other random things, like community service requirements, color guard, and briefs we are supposed to attend. that's not bad, though.

PT before academics, good stuff