• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine officer minimum height?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I dont have a reference for you sir but I know someone who just recently got commissioned as a Marine officer at 64" inches. I just called him to get his height. That would lead me to believe that that 66" limit may be wrong. Also I asked him if he needed a height waiver or anything and he said no. I will call my OSO for you and see if he knows of a pub that has it listed.

Not the definate answer you were looking for but trying to close the window :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you want to argue about a father helping his son, bring it on.

I think some of the push-back you're getting from this is that in the last 3 days, there have been at least 5 high school kids who have registered and posted questions expecting answers from everyone that were readily accessible w/out having to do much of a search. This has been an increasing trend the last few months and part of the process (as you no doubt know) is personal initiative. Right or wrong, I believe that's why folks are giving you the business.

Now that there's a little more background, folks can back off a bit (hint, hint). Once again welcome to the site and good luck w/ the Marines. You'd think since they have so many rules, they'd be easy to find.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
FWIW, I am 67" and have flown with Marines who are much more than 2" shorter than me.

mattsource57

I am 77" tall, currently at TBS with an air contract. Your son will be fine with the height issue. Good luck to him!

I knew a guy that was close to 77" maybe 78" and they told him he could only fly c-130's. I went to TBS with him, ran into him at Primary, where he found this out. He was pissed. I am not sure, but I think he DOR'ed...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW,

This site...http://www.marineofficerprograms.com/ has tabs on the left for different programs. Each one list the "requirement" as 66".

As you know there are waivers for just about everything so don't forget to ask/seek other means after the first "no."

With all of the midgets I have known in the Marines I find that very hard to believe.

Now that there's a little more background, folks can back off a bit (hint, hint). Once again welcome to the site and good luck w/ the Marines. You'd think since they have so many rules, they'd be easy to find.

I think some folks need to throttle back before we even start down this path again, period.

booshie44

Slammer2: Thanks for the help. My son and I really appreciate the extra effort. Good luck at TBS and in your career. Joe

nugget61

pilot
Sir,
I'm sure that you've already looked in the Waiver Guide, but if not:
I'm assuming that because you're on this site that your son wants to fly. And in the SNA section of the waiver guide (06AUG08) p.13 has a link for the anthro measurements sending you here (pdf link) https://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/03000%20Naval%20Operations%20and%20Readiness/03-700%20Flight%20and%20Air%20Space%20Support%20Services/3710.37A.pdf

Its an older paper, but it made the current revision of the waiver guide. From p.7:
Service and Designation .........Measurement Required ..........Not Eligible
USN Student Pilot .................. 62.0"-77.0" ................ Less than 62" Greater than 77"
USMC Student Pilot ................ 62.0"-77.0" ................ Less than 62" Greater than 77"
USN StudentNFO .................... 60.0" -78.0" ................ Less than 60" Greater than 78"
USMC StudentNFO .................. 60.0" -78.0" ................ Less than 60" Greater than 78"
Sorry if the quote looks funny, the table didn't come across well. Hope this helps.

Mitch

disease free
i have served with a Marine Officer under 62". he was on a waiver but still made it and was an outstanding officer. booshie, sorry i cannot quote the MCO for you but even when you find it in writing it would probably still be worth a trip to your local OSO. as you probably know, there are waivers for everything.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Full deflection of the rudder? Totally a guess, but makes sense to me.

I cannot think of a single platform today where and NFO would even have rudders. I know the Rhino only has them in the back for trainer configured a/c, pretty sure Prowlers just have foot buttons for the mics (not rudders), and I am reasonably certain that P-3's, E-2's or E-6's don't even sit near the controls. You don't have to be as tall to work in the back.