• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast Eddie

Hey folks,

I'm a graduating mathematics major from the university of maryland, college park. My GPA is horrible due to overall lack of adventure and direction in college. It's a 2.8. My SAT score is 1500 though, and I took the asvab in high school and it was all 99%.. I think it was 140 something? I'm also a member of the university of maryland strongman team and I train for powerlifting.. (500 deadlift, 300 bench @ 190lbs). I'm going to cut weight and try to get a perfect PFT. I'm extremely good friends with a Navy O6 who can write me a great recommendation.

Do I have a chance to get in with this gpa! I sure hope, I want to fly!

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Oh, and are the pullups with a pronated or supinated grip? palms facing in or out?

Thanks again!

Adrenaline Rush

yes twitch you should have a good chance so long as your PFT score is high, from what I understand GPA is not that big of a factor compared to a PFT score, reason being not many attrite due to classwork at OCS, rather people attrite due to injuries or not being able to survive the grueling physical training...Pullups can be done either way supinated or pronated..Good Luck

"And on the 8th day the Marines took over the globe and have been runnin it ever since"

Beaver

twitch,
I just graduated from OCS and from the people that were accepted for that class, I'd say you have a really good chance of getting in as long as you can run pretty good. I'm not sure what your run time is but power lifting doesn't usually go hand-in-hand with good running. Most of the graded physical events at OCS require good running ability to do well on. Those who didn't do well couldn't run very well. The highest overall physical score was earned by a candidate who was pretty thin. Endurance is the key so start running and working on high reps of push-ups and tricep dips.

Adrenaline Rush

beaver can you share with us some things that you were asked to do that you might not have been prepared to do, or were surprised they asked you to do..Im talking about certain exercises like leg lifts, pushups, dips, bear walks, foot fires..anything they made you do that you wish you could have practiced before you went?

"And on the 8th day the Marines took over the globe and have been runnin it ever since"

Beaver

Adrenaline,
There's nothing that comes to mind to fit the description you gave. If there was one thing I wish I would have better prepared for, it's the upper body exercises. Mainly, exercises involving the triceps, such as push-ups and tricep dips. I didn't have any problems with any of the physical evaluations, but the daily PT had a lot of tricep exercises and I didn't prepare them hardly at all so I sucked at them. The circuits we'd run would have four or five tricep exercises out of something like twelve or fifteen total exercises. My arms got burned out really quick.
Other than that, anything new that they introduced to me was not so difficult that I couldn't do well at it. They also progress into the PT pretty well. Pretty much all I did before I shipped was running, pull-ups, and push-ups. I wouldn't worry so much about the physical part as long as you can run pretty well.
I hope this helps.

Adrenaline Rush

Thanks for the Gouge Beaver, I appreciate it..O and Congratulations on surviving OCS..Are you a Marine yet, or are you a PLC guy?

Adrenaline Rush

ok i wasnt sure if he meant just graduated OCS as in the last PLC class or the last OCC class

HueyHornet75

pilot
what they've all said is good to go. run run run. also, if you have access to a rope, start climbing. it sounds silly, but some candidates just seemed to have the worst time with the ropes. good luck.
semper fi

perchul

well if some guy gets to post his bench then I want to as well, 300lbs@142 so nah....but I envy the SAT score....by the way there is no bench press on the pft

Fast Eddie

You're right. Powerlifting isn't the best training for running. I tested my 3 mile time last week but got gassed after 1/2 mile and had to stop. Don't be alarmed though, I've worked up to a full 3 mile jog! hahhaa.. Adaption will happen fast enough.. my tendons are indestructable though which helps for lots and lots of running

Status
Not open for further replies.