• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS Question

gmc071188

Actually I just read through a pretty comprehensive description of Seniors PLC. I'm guessing this PLC description (about sea bag drag etc etc.) is similar or even the same as OCS? Thanks for the response.

LOSLOAR

don't bring your coffee to FOD walk
except that he left out that leadership and integrity are the two most important things while at OCS

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Actually I just read through a pretty comprehensive description of Seniors PLC. I'm guessing this PLC description (about sea bag drag etc etc.) is similar or even the same as OCS? Thanks for the response.

PLC and OCC = OCS. They're just two different versions but will untimately lead you to the same place. Just trying to straighten out the terms a little bit

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The gouge from the guys who went last summer is that the essays are basically gone and you get 8 hours of sleep every night.

AJB37

The gouge from the guys who went last summer is that the essays are basically gone and you get 8 hours of sleep every night.

I was just there for OCC-199 (NPQ'd in the 8th week). The essays were limited to 2 per week, but, my platoon staff handed out rollover essays. I generally got 8hrs per night unless I was studying or had watch.

Slammer2

Contributor

Couple guys down here at TBS are saying the same thing. A few people didnt even write one essay. I told them about my 4-5 per week and they said "what essay, you mean the autobiography?"

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

You can still get essays but its not like you'll have 3 to write overnight.

Your slated for 8 hours of sleep but unless you don't study, dont have to shave in the morning, prep for inspections, firewatch, have night IMC, make your rack in the morning, do laundry, remark your gear, blah blah blah, you'll never get 8 hours.

For what its worth: I found it alot more effecient to go to sleep at 2100 and, instead of getting stuff done before going to sleep like everyone else, wake up at 0230-0330 when everyone else is asleep to get your stuff done more effeciently.

I still lol @ how one of our instructors expected all this to get done without candidates being out of their racks at night. Him coming out of the hut 10 minutes after lights and yelling "WHY DO I SEE CANDIDATES WITH THOSE FAG HEAD LAMPS ON RUNNING AROUND" then hearing shower shoes clop clop clop clop as people ran back to their racks was hilarious.

Slammer2

Contributor
...For what its worth: I found it alot more effecient to go to sleep at 2100 and, instead of getting stuff done before going to sleep like everyone else, wake up at 0230-0330 when everyone else is asleep to get your stuff done more effeciently.

I did that a few times back in '06 along with a few other people. A few weeks into it, they made this new rule that nobody could get up before a certain time (cant remember anymore). Mentally, I think it was easier to do that. But then again, I suppose its good to get your business taken care of first, then sleep the remaining time instead of guessing how much time you needed and hope to get it done/not lose sleep time

AJB37

For what its worth: I found it alot more effecient to go to sleep at 2100 and, instead of getting stuff done before going to sleep like everyone else, wake up at 0230-0330 when everyone else is asleep to get your stuff done more effeciently.

That only works if you can trust firewatch to get you up. My platoon had a wake up list, but a lot of candidates didn't get woken up.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
That only works if you can trust firewatch to get you up. My platoon had a wake up list, but a lot of candidates didn't get woken up.

So did we. Half the time you could poke someone to get them up and they would be like "ok ok ok im up" then go back to sleep... lol

Attach your watch to your rack right next to your head using the wrist band and use its alarm clock.

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
I was just there for OCC-199 (NPQ'd in the 8th week). The essays were limited to 2 per week, but, my platoon staff handed out rollover essays. I generally got 8hrs per night unless I was studying or had watch.

Wow are you kidding me! Is OCS getting soft? Nobody got 8 hours a night when I was there.

Clux4

Banned
8 hours of sleep. Maybe on Libo but definitely not during the week.
I hear they do not run as much. All the fun is gone!!
Supposedly the attrition rate was getting ridiculous and USMC was not making the best of its dollars. We all know that PT stud is not equal to good leader.
Supposedly they now do TDG's. Is this true?

We need to get the instructor's perspective. Maybe a lucky EWS'r will share their time at OCS with us. I like to hear where the new focus is.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Wow are you kidding me! Is OCS getting soft? Nobody got 8 hours a night when I was there.

I didn't know they issued any sleep at OCS! What is this 8 hrs you speak of? Sleep was standing up in formation or in a consolidated 360 around the objective. "Personal time" was "Midnight Oil" time to consider how you were going to write the 4 essays you were assigned for doing the stupidest shit - due by 0430 the next morning and getting your gear ready.

Anybody else remember Col Chase's Summer of Death '06 2nd Incr? 28 Days of black flag. Honestly, I dont know how I survived. I came home looking like Ethiopian heroin addict.