• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS pull-up/sit-up/running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thor44

Ok, my question concerns the pull-up/chin-up, sit-up/crunches and running requirements for the Marines OCS. Now, I have been told that the pull-up/chin-up max number is 20, correct? And also that you are allowed to do them either forehanded of backhanded, also correct? I was told that they must be “dead-hang,” I assume that this means that one must begin with your arms totally extended and locked, right? Do you have to lock out your elbows after each rep?

Also about the sit-ups; is the proper form lying on your back with your knees up so that your calf muscles are against your hamstrings with your hands across your chest so that each palm is over the opposite pectoral? If that is right then you have to raise up until your folded arms touch your legs? When you go back down do you have to touch the back of your head to the ground? The max number for sit-ups in two minutes is 100 right?

Also how many people are able to get the three miles in 18:00? I am a pretty large guy (75 inches, 210 lbs) and I know that there is no way I can make it in that. I ran cross country in high-school (3.1 miles) and my best time was just 21:30 or so. I only ran it to get in shape for basketball season : ) What would you fellows estimate as a good time for me to shoot for? I am pretty athletic (played four years of NCAA D2 basketball) but do not enjoy running for its own sake. Well that is all I have for now, thanks in advance for the help!

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

charger

You can do the pullups with hands either way. The max is 20. Make sure you work on coming down all the way, or you will quickly find out that your defination of locking out the arms and the staffs are not the same. As far as situps. The trick is to get your arms as low on your torso as you can get away with, keep your butt as close to your feet as you can, and only come down till your shoulderblades touch. Your arms have to stay in contact with your body and your arms can grab your upper arm. Once you get the method down it's easy to get 100. As far as the running goes, I think most people are right around 21 minutes. Just remember you will do far more grueling pt at ocs then just taking a pft, I would strongly recommend running in boots before you go.

hukleberry

thor

youre right on with the pull ups. you can do them over or underhand on the test. as far as locking elbows, it depends who's counting. my SI at ocs wouldnt count a pull up unless your elbows locked out on each rep so train for the worst. after 20 reps you max out pull up points.

proper sit-up form is feet on the deck, heels about 12 inches from your butt. your arms should be laid over your stomach, one on top of the other not interlocked (no idea why). you have to sit up until your forearm touches your thigh and go down until your shoulder blades touch the deck. it is really a smaller arc than a full sit-up, but your abs stay flexed the whole time. max points for 100.

As far as running goes, the only ones who pulled out the sub 18:00 runs where the skinney marathon runners i have loathed my whole life. I would say 20:00 to 21:00 minutes is probably the average. I am almost 6'6" and not a runner. I work on it the most out of the three tests. It sucks but the better you get at it the easier it is. I too played basketball most of my life and only ran to get in shape. It takes time but it is possible to get into it and get good at it. I find it helpful to mix running in with other activities. It also helps to run with someone. Judging from your athletic background you shouldnt have a problem getting it dont. "You dont have to like it, you just have to do it", you will see this material again. Good luck.

Semper Fi

thor44

Thanks for the quick answers. I have another one now. It is about training. Today I tried to see how many chin-ups I could do (Making sure that I followed all the rules to the letter) and I found that I could do nine (9). My question is does anyone have any wisdom about how I should go about working on getting my number higher? Haw many sets/reps should I do per day? Should I do them every day or every other day? Should I do them once a day or do them every chance I get? (I have set up a bar in my house) I have about 2.5-3 months before I go for the test. Thanks again for the help.

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

jason12

May i suggest the "Armstrong Pull-Up Program" it works wonders, search for it at google you'll get a good amount of results

---i found the link too, so here ya go, day 3 is a little bit confusing but it isn't too hard of a routine

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~holgate/usmc_pullup.htm

"IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS,
AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Armstrong is the way to go. I'm up to 22 ... granted i started at 12-14. One thing about it though ... pay attention to your body for any sign of strain or injury. (i.e. i do them underhand and my shoulder started to bother me ,..... i found out it was the overhand day so i replaced it with another routine). People have really jacked themselves up on the program but as long as you pay attention to your body and adjust or stop as necessary you should be fine. Remember ... good pain and bad pain.

Peace,

-Spin

Lt_SNA_USMC

The armstrong program is the best way I have seen to increase pullups. As far as total physical fitness, try the navy seal workout. Navysealchallenge.com or something like that. It focuses on pullups, situps, pushups, etc. It's an awesome workout. Remember that just because you run a great PFT does not mean you'll necessarily be in perfect shape for OCS. Try the seal workout. Good luck.

thor44

About the Navy Seal Challenge is it a book I should get or can you find it on the web?

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

Status
Not open for further replies.