• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS back strain

MiracleWhip

Hello gentleman,

I have perused these boards for quite some time and finally have the chance to start my application for PLC - Air. However, my lower back has a tendency to get stiff and tight in certain activities such as running or standing for several hours. I was just wondering if there were any events or activities at OCS that would place strain on the lower back, and if it is bearable. Thank you!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Hello gentleman,

I have perused these boards for quite some time and finally have the chance to start my application for PLC - Air. However, my lower back has a tendency to get stiff and tight in certain activities such as running or standing for several hours. I was just wondering if there were any events or activities at OCS that would place strain on the lower back, and if it is bearable. Thank you!
Although I have never attended Marine OCS, I can probably say with 100% accuracy you will be running and standing - probably for up to several hours at a time. So it seems to me that you have answered your own question.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Hello gentleman,

You will run several miles a day and often stand at the position of attention for hours on end.

The good news is there are far worse parts than that for the rest of your body (long marches through the hills wearing a pack, sleeping on the ground, being thrown/knocked to the ground by other candidates during pugil sticks) to take your mind off your back pain.

By the end, you will be extremely sore, tired, and slightly injured in all probability. If this is a deal breaker, you'll hate TBS.

BTW, it isn't much easier at Navy OCS, either.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
HD is spot on, not to mention if you have lower back issues already you're going to have trouble when you start flying, especially if you go tacair. I would recommend seeing a physical therapist who can show you stretches and exercises to help strengthen your lower back muscles.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MiracleWhip said:
Hello gentleman,

There are "events and activities" even in Navy bootcamp that will cause you pain and discomfort according to what you are describing. Yeah, I'd say Marine Corps OCS or Navy OCS would be 50 times worse than that. Hell, even as a dirty, low class, pitiful SWO you'd have to stand watch on the bridge for several hours at a time. Now, whether your pain and discomfort would be bearable or not in OCS is a subjective question that nobody on this board is going to be able to answer for you. I'm assuming you're in your early to mid 20's. This is something you need to get figured out for the long term, not to determine whether OCS is bearable for you, but because you are going to need your back for the rest of your life. My guess (and this is purely conjecture) is that you may be tall and stocky with a weak core. Do you run often? Like Mr. Blonde stated, a physical therapist might be a good person to talk to about this.

MiracleWhip

Thank you for your help!

I am actually a normal sized guy at 5'11 and ~185. I have visited a physical therapist and they explained I had tight hips, weak core, hamstrings, and glutes which force my lower back to overcompensate and work more than they should. As a result, my lower back is actually pretty strong in relations to the other muscle groups.

I currently do single leg exercises for my glutes and hamstring curls twice a week, as well as stretch everyday. I've seen some improvement as I can now run ~3 miles on hills with relatively little to no problem. However, it does come back every now and then. I usually run around 3 miles 5 days a week if that helps.

MiracleWhip

Yes, thank you sir.

Any tips on your particular workout? I've read situps or crunches aren't particularly good as they put pressure on thr back during flexion.