• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine MV-22 to Navy CMV-22 pilot interservice transfer?

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Hello everyone,

Now that the latest version of the plopter has come online, I've been entertaining the notion of applying for an interservice transfer from the Marine Corps to the Navy. I'll make no illusions about why. The USMC has burnt me the F out and the operational lifestyle of Carrier Onboard Delivery appeals to me a hell of a lot more than another damn MEU (and all the work-ups and certification exercises that go along with it). My soon to be spouse is also a Navy officer, and if there's any way I can keep serving but make things easier on the home life (and for the military to co-locate us), I'll take it.

I've heard from a former monitor that there is currently a moratorium on Marine aviators moving to other branches, but my understanding is that only applies if you are still on contract or otherwise owe time to the Marine Corps. So, this decision is still a couple years away for me, but I'm curious about what the process is like from someone who's actually done it. (Just Marine to Navy in general, not necessarily V-22 pilot).

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Hello everyone,

Now that the latest version of the plopter has come online, I've been entertaining the notion of applying for an interservice transfer from the Marine Corps to the Navy. I'll make no illusions about why. The USMC has burnt me the F out and the operational lifestyle of Carrier Onboard Delivery appeals to me a hell of a lot more than another damn MEU (and all the work-ups and certification exercises that go along with it). My soon to be spouse is also a Navy officer, and if there's any way I can keep serving but make things easier on the home life (and for the military to co-locate us), I'll take it.

I've heard from a former monitor that there is currently a moratorium on Marine aviators moving to other branches, but my understanding is that only applies if you are still on contract or otherwise owe time to the Marine Corps. So, this decision is still a couple years away for me, but I'm curious about what the process is like from someone who's actually done it. (Just Marine to Navy in general, not necessarily V-22 pilot).

Here was the latest MARADMIN I could find addressing the moratorium on interservice transfers. I couldn't find anything superseding it, but maybe there is.

As for the Marine side, the SEPSMAN walks you through the admin requirements. SECNAVINST 1000.7G and MILPERSMAN 1300-082 also provide administrative guidance.

Hope that helps some. I personally don't know anyone who's done it, and didn't come across any when I worked at manpower for a couple of years. Good luck.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hello everyone,

You might have to make a clean break from the USMC and then go into the Navy. A little over a year ago MR&A wasn't releasing anyone from the IRR nor would they entertain signing a DD-368.

On the flip side, there is now an FL ANG unit flying the CV-22. They support the SOF guys, but it's still the Guard.