• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Marathon

visionT

Just a quick question about the Marathon this weekend. Do any of the TBS companies have to help out with setup for both weekends prior to the Marathon?

Meaning, I know the companies have to do it the weekend of the marathon, but what about the weekend of the 22nd of October, last week? Oh, and is setup very time-consuming, or will there be time afterward to go out and party?

Thanks.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
I don't know the answer to that, but if any of you Marines want to buy me a beer after I finish tomorrow I'll gladly accept.

Good luck to anyone else running!

phrogpilot73

Just a quick question about the Marathon this weekend. Do any of the TBS companies have to help out with setup for both weekends prior to the Marathon?

Meaning, I know the companies have to do it the weekend of the marathon, but what about the weekend of the 22nd of October, last week? Oh, and is setup very time-consuming, or will there be time afterward to go out and party?

Thanks.
I was in Fox Company, '98... We only had to work the Saturday of the Marathon. Not before or after.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Oh, and is setup very time-consuming, or will there be time afterward to go out and party?

Nice to see 2ndLts with their priorities straight. Too many in my company were complaining about wanting to sleep. Tsk, tsk.

It was a little bit painful when we had to get up at the asscrack of dawn to board the busses, and it was cold until the sun came up. But the runners seemed to enjoy having us there to cheer them on and pass out water, etc. It was always cool to see the few 65+, ex-force, been there, done that guys running the whole marathon in boots, utes, and with a pack full of sandbags. Err.

Time to get ready for the Halloween party. I've got the nerdy glasses, filet-o-fish sandwich, and staff ready for my Blackwolf the Dragon Master costume. Rep points for the first to get that reference.

Oh, and good luck, Mac. Running with pops again?

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
We're just working Sunday, and they told us to expect to be finished by 4. I guess it depends on what faith you put in the "word"...

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Time to get ready for the Halloween party. I've got the nerdy glasses, filet-o-fish sandwich, and staff ready for my Blackwolf the Dragon Master costume. Rep points for the first to get that reference.

That sounds like a nice costume...for me to poop on.

Yep, I'm running with the old man today. We just got up an hour early because we "ass-u-me'd" that our watches accounted for the change out of DST - not so. That's why I'm on the computer before 5 am and I've already had breakfast.

The Marines are the best part about this marathon. At other races, you hear: "Way to go, looking good, great job!" At this race you hear: "Pick up the frigging pace, you can do better than that, get your doggone ass moving!"

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Ouch, that really f$%*ing hurt. But I got a PR and beat my four-hour goal with a 3:57. That also beats my dad's PR by two minutes (heh heh). Of course he is 33 years older than me...

Thanks to all the devil dogs that helped out today, you guys make this race what it is. It was really motivating to see everyone from PFC to LtCol out there working at the water stops.

Now it's time to get rip-roaring drunk and fly back to Dallas!

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Whatever, bro. He really wanted to beat 4:00 but he wasn't feeling too good. And I didn't have enough money to get proper drunk, but three beers are better than no beers.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Sh!t, three beers normally puts you down for the count, doesn't it Mac? Hahaha.

D and M are getting ready for the move to NC, and I got stuck with their left over groceries. I offered to take Connor, but they decided to keep him.

"Look! It's a dweeb from another dimension!"

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Sh!t, three beers normally puts you down for the count, doesn't it Mac? Hahaha.

You got me there, I'm a cheap drunk. By the way, have you ever noticed that in your location you spell despair "dispair"? Is that intentional, or do they remove the brain cells that control spelling in boot camp?

Hey, serious question: is anyone allowed to run the MC Marathon while they're in TBS, or does every last student have to work? There were an awful lot of second louies working, but I forgot to ask them if anyone at TBS was running the race. Of course, you might not have enough time to train while at Quantico.

"Burger King, where all Dragon Masters eat!"

Crowbar

None
Of course, you might not have enough time to train while at Quantico.

That's what I saw. I just couldn't find the effort to run those super duper long runs while I was there. Five to six was about the max I felt like doing at any point. By the way, I ran MCM in 2004. Didn't do as good as I hoped, but had fun killing a bottle of $2.00 champagne at the foot of the monument when it was over.

And don't you forget to finish your Filet-O-Fish...

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
You got me there, I'm a cheap drunk. By the way, have you ever noticed that in your location you spell despair "dispair"? Is that intentional, or do they remove the brain cells that control spelling in boot camp?

Hey, serious question: is anyone allowed to run the MC Marathon while they're in TBS, or does every last student have to work? There were an awful lot of second louies working, but I forgot to ask them if anyone at TBS was running the race. Of course, you might not have enough time to train while at Quantico.

There were definitely some TBS Lieutenants running it. I saw a couple of Lt's running in boots and utes with the TBS Delta Co guidon. Even without doing 15+ mile training runs, someone in decent shape could probably still at least complete a marathon at a conservative pace.

I ran it two years ago- the first 19 miles or so were easy.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
I figured I had alot more free time to train than someone in TBS. Still, my longest run was only ten miles leading up to this race. A couple of times I did fifteen in two separate runs (morning and evening) but then I can disappear from the squadron whenever I feel like it. I should actually be debriefing my flight right now...whoops.

The problem with going really slow is that you spend more time on your feet, which is even harder on your legs. I guarantee you the guy who did it in three hours recovered faster than I did, while someone who took six hours is probably still hurting.