• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Jets: The Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
And I put jets as my #1 today...

Good luck! Who knows what will happen by the time you complete flight school and get to the fleet. If you do get your number one- you'll love your time flying the T-45.

Midstage bouncing was some of the most fun I've had in a military airplane. You're good enough that you're signing for a jet solo, and heading out to orange grove with 5 or 6 of your best friends. You're too young and new to understand how dangerous this is, and you're still in your invincible stage, and you don't have an IP in your backseat, just a chill paddles teaching you how to fly the ball at the field. Debriefing usually occurred over beers at the bar.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Good luck! Who knows what will happen by the time you complete flight school and get to the fleet. If you do get your number one- you'll love your time flying the T-45.

Midstage bouncing was some of the most fun I've had in a military airplane. You're good enough that you're signing for a jet solo, and heading out to orange grove with 5 or 6 of your best friends. You're too young and new to understand how dangerous this is, and you're still in your invincible stage, and you don't have an IP in your backseat, just a chill paddles teaching you how to fly the ball at the field. Debriefing usually occurred over beers at the bar.

Got Jets in Kingsville, so Orange Grove hops will be in my future.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Midstage bouncing was some of the most fun I've had in a military airplane. You're good enough that you're signing for a jet solo, and heading out to orange grove with 5 or 6 of your best friends. You're too young and new to understand how dangerous this is . . .
¿Qué? If it were dangerous, Paddles would have downed you and not let you fly solo. Driving your car is dangerous, too, if you make it dangerous. Same principle. It's only dangerous if you don't have the ability to navigate to and from the field, and do 6 landings on a stationary runway. If you can't do that at that point in the syllabus, then you're probably going to get attrited if you haven't already, because midstage bouncing is not the most demanding thing you've been asked to do solo at that point.

It's not in the instructors' interests to let their students get away with dangerous things. Demanding? Sure. Dangerous? No.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
¿Qué? If it were dangerous, Paddles would have downed you and not let you fly solo. Driving your car is dangerous, too, if you make it dangerous. Same principle. It's only dangerous if you don't have the ability to navigate to and from the field, and do 6 landings on a stationary runway. If you can't do that at that point in the syllabus, then you're probably going to get attrited if you haven't already, because midstage bouncing is not the most demanding thing you've been asked to do solo at that point.

It's not in the instructors' interests to let their students get away with dangerous things. Demanding? Sure. Dangerous? No.

Ok, so dangerous may not be the right word. More risky? That part wasn't really the point of the post anyway.

Python

pilot
Contributor

I think he meant that more generally. I know in RAG CQ I didn't realize how scared I should've been. I realize that now with hindsight (I should've been shitting my pants). A bunch of solos going to the OLF is definitely not as intense, but I get his point that at that level you don't realize how hazardous it is.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marines are selecting F-35 out of flight school on a somewhat increasingly regular basis. First selections started last fall.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It may eventually pay off well for them. In the meantime, I sense a lot of time at a duty desk in their futures.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Having been a V-22 guy in the early days, I have a feeling that the bulk of what will be initially limited training hours will be devoted to building an instructor cadre, vice giving those hours to 1st Lieutenants and junior captains.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Is there a PPT showing current SNA select flow for USMC - Helo, V-22, TacAir, C-130. etc?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Is there a PPT showing current SNA select flow for USMC - Helo, V-22, TacAir, C-130. etc?
pipeline-pilot.png

Dunno if that's how they're actually still doing Ospreys

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Any current flow numbers of Marine SNA's to selects - helos, v-22, tacair, prop for fy 16?