• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Jets: The Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Renegade One

None
Exact-a-mundo.
Thanks. Only parallel I can recall from my Navy squadron days was the "dark days of long ago" BIRD WATCH at NAS Miramar (late 70s?)…which consisted of sitting in a lawn chair under the power lines at the intersection of Miramar Road and I-805 making sure no one overflew University City on the Seawolf Departure. Had to log all T/Os by time, number/type of aircraft and squadron.

Don't recall ever getting fragged with anything above squadron duty (except for Boat Officer or Shore Patrol while deployed). Interesting.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Exact-a-mundo.

Pretty much the most painful waste of time ever, aside from tower ODO (Cherry Point and Miramar only) or Command Duty Officer (on the MEU).

Jeez, I had forgotten about that one. Never actually stood it myself through some bit of luck, but I remember hearing great stories. Some Delta heavy had to divert to NKX on a friend's "watch", and said friend had to fill out approximately 100,000,000 forms to explain the nature of the emergency, and a whole bunch of other crap that he didn't have access to not being a Delta airlines rep.......but things that apparently every LCPL on the entire base with a clipboard needed a sign off on.

As for bird watch, that sounds like the aftermath of something pretty epic. Never heard of that when I was there, but I can only imagine how awesome that must have been. I only say that because I'm sure we pretty regularly violated that sanctuary on VMC days with 2-3 RP's (myself included) trying to join up a division, and nobody seemed to care much.......so I'd guess something much "noisier" happened. I do remember during pre-CQ bouncing one night, the OPSO came in kind of exasperated and said "you know what I just got a call about? Someone is wondering if we got new motors because they are louder......which one of you fucks was flying around in the pattern in blower last night?" :)

GDO was as described. Basically SDO without the flight ops part, and 101 students only got it on the weekends. So pretty much everything bad/stupid/that warrants a call to the XO in the middle of the night, x 7 (or however many squadrons there were in MAG-11), plus you are the guy who gets to tell the wing commander. I was far enough into the syllabus that I never got GDO after the most recent change of command (think it was spring/summer of 2011), but I understand that it was not uncommon for the big man himself to show at all hours of the night on Fri/Sat/Sun, so that was an added bonus I bet.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Exact-a-mundo.

Pretty much the most painful waste of time ever, aside from tower ODO (Cherry Point and Miramar only) or Command Duty Officer (on the MEU).

Tower duty, while pointless, was better than your average GDO. I spent the hours bullshitting with the ATC guys and doing the occasional customs inspection. It beats sitting GDO and dealing with fucking idiot Marines getting DUIs or beating their wife and all the associated paperwork with such. GDO now has the added awesomeness of carrying a pistol.

/Why yes, I do let them sit in jail all night. Let their SNCOIC bail them out.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You should try MEU CDO while deployed. I suggest the last night of port call in Australia for maximum effect.

It's fantastic.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
GDO now has the added awesomeness of carrying a pistol.

Funny thing is, the GDO orders mentioned that a pistol qual was required to carry the firearm, which was something most Navy dudes (myself included) did not have at that point. I never wore it, and was prepared to explain that the Navy didn't provide the funding for me to get the qual. I also figured that if I ever needed the gun, the armed MAG-16 GDO next to me, or either of the asst GDOs who were also armed, could probably hold down the unlikely target that is the wing office if need be. As it stands right now, in my 5th year of active duty service, the only gun I have ever shot in an official capacity is the M61A1.

UMichfly

pilot
None
As it stands right now, in my 5th year of active duty service, the only gun I have ever shot in an official capacity is the M61A1.

You'd get a pistol qual if you dirty east coast guys ever deployed...

:D in effect.