• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Hornet RAG

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
It teaches the same same. We have Marines that come to 106 and Navy types that go to VMFAT-101. All interchangeable.

Bruiser

Tally WSO RAG. High TA.
As I near the end of Advanced S/F syllabus, the word on the Sabrehawk streets is that there is a lack of performance during the 'admin' phase of flight during events, RAG-side.
Can someone further define the issue; comms, nav to/from working area, departure, recovery? What is it about 'admin' that seems to be the biggest stumbling block?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is the Marine delta rag pretty similar to the one listed about oceana (http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17182)?
Or is it completely different?
Anyone have any description of it?

I went through -101 as a Navy guy (pilot). What do you want to know specifcally? It's basically the same syllabus as -106 or -122, it just takes twice as long because the jets never work. It's also not a "delta" RAG (we had A+/A++/B/C/D+/D-/D), it is in the business of instructing F/A-18D WSO's as well as pilots.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As I near the end of Advanced S/F syllabus, the word on the Sabrehawk streets is that there is a lack of performance during the 'admin' phase of flight during events, RAG-side.

Yes. The syllabus is a bit of a firehose at first, in terms of learning the jet in like 7 flights and then all of a sudden you are flying strike flights with ordnance. The admin stuff just takes a little while to become habit/second nature. I'd say it probably is harder for single anchors than dual at first, but I've seen some amazing things come out of WSO's from time to time as well. You're never going to be the guy who shows up and just has admin dicked, but you should endeavor to pick it up as quickly as possible.

Can someone further define the issue; comms, nav to/from working area, departure, recovery? What is it about 'admin' that seems to be the biggest stumbling block?

All of the above, probably not all at the same time. Socal is somewhat more complicated to fly in than anywhere you normally flew in VT-86, and the pilots you fly with aren't going to have a whole lot of patience for a student WSO who can't nail comms/nav/cockpit admin. From your perspective, its shitty, because it's brand new (some of it anyway) and it isn't second nature yet. From their perspective, those of us who come from a single seat background really have no clue what you guys do, and so those are the kinds of things we just assume you already know cold. I know if someone were in my jet F'ing away those things, I'd be less than happy, since I can do it myself and fly at the same time just fine. Not trying to turn this into a pilots vs WSO thing, just realize that this is the mentality.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
+1 with MIDNJAC. My RAG experience was that RWSO's got a little more attention if they could not nail admin solidly early than the RP's did. I think the reason for this (be it fairly or unfairly) is that alot of the IP's could be clueless as to what you go through in VT's and how/what you do in training. I know it was a complete surprise to me when a RWSO classmate was downing events because of admin, I couldn't fathom it because it was second nature to me, but turned out to be ALOT of stuff was brand new to them and was maybe handled by the IP in VT-xx and now they are having to learn it faster than anticipated early on. YMMV

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You're never going to be the guy who shows up and just has admin dicked, but you should endeavor to pick it up as quickly as possible.

Maybe I'm just being an old man, but is it a good thing or bad thing to have admin dicked?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Meant dicked.....and yes, it's a good thing. Maybe it's a Hornet community-ism...

And agree with JoshDavid. I would say that most of the RWSO's I saw that had trouble, had it because of admin stuff. That and maybe some of the later stage FWT's that just get a bit harder for them than they ever do for us. Also, FAC(A) syllabus for them is challenging, and is something the pilots don't do (at least not until the fleet if they are 2 seat VFA types, and never if they are S/S). I heard a story about a -122 RWSO (who apparently attrited) who couldn't figure out how to set wypt o into the INS and get an alignment repeatedly. Not sure if that is urban legend or reality though.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I heard a story about a -122 RWSO (who apparently attrited) who couldn't figure out how to set wypt o into the INS and get an alignment repeatedly. Not sure if that is urban legend or reality though.

Some strange things have happened at that place in the past. I think most of the shock for the RWSO's was going from WSO VT style of training to pilot style with regards to admin, ep's, and a few other things. The good ones had no problem, the below average dudes would struggle through, at least from what I saw. My worthless .02c.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Well, I could be mistaken as I'm not a Marine Hornet guy. Navy S/S definitely doesn't do it.

Single seat Marine Hornet guys can get the qual but it is far from common.