• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine F-18 Inventory

moondoggy328

moondoggy328
I was wondering if anyone knows roughly how many F-18s the Marines and Navy have respectivly? I want to fly F-18s first and foremost, and want to fly for the Marines becasue I want to be a Marine officer, but if the Navy has a significantly larger amount of hornets, it would be possibly be a good idea for apply Navy OCS rather than Marine PLC that I am applying for now.

Thanks,
Jeremy

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Before everyone starts the usual response, his reason for asking may be misguided, but I think it's a valid question and I've never seen it answered. Does anyone even have any idea how many aircraft of each type the services have? The Navy website says approximately how many aircraft total, but doesn't break them down. All Hands also lists the squadrons, but I have no idea how many aircraft are in each type of squadron. Are these numbers hidden for security reasons, or does no one have any clue whatsoever? I'm guessing that there is even less a chance that anyone knows the number of pilots in each community.

For Marines this is stolen from a post MMX made:

according to the FY2005 AVPLAN(public document, but I don't remember the original link for it), there are...(major airframes only, minor ones(training and HMX-1) excluded)
173 AH-1W
86 UH-1N
223 CH-46E
35 CH-53D
146 CH-53E

663 rotary

122 AV-8B
62 F/A-18A/A+
101 F/A-18C
94 F/A-18D
21 EA-6B

400 jets

75 KC-130F/R/T/J

so it's 58/35/7 rotary/jets/props.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
For Marines this is stolen from a post MMX made:

according to the FY2005 AVPLAN(public document, but I don't remember the original link for it), there are...(major airframes only, minor ones(training and HMX-1) excluded)
173 AH-1W
86 UH-1N
223 CH-46E
35 CH-53D
146 CH-53E

663 rotary

122 AV-8B
62 F/A-18A/A+
101 F/A-18C
94 F/A-18D
21 EA-6B

400 jets

75 KC-130F/R/T/J

are you sure that is how many are in the fleet? I vaguely remember that post and I thought that this was the number of slots open for each aircraft. I may be wrong.

theduke

right, for % of AIRFRAMES.

i don't know, but i'd bet pretty good money that the number of pilots and NFOs is something greater than the # of their respective platforms. i also don't know if those percentages of "excess" aircrew are the same across the spectrum of aircraft.

i'd guess pretty close, but i don't know for sure.

a related question that i have is how many NFOs are in the USMC? more than 150ish (1 per F-18d and 3 per Prowler), but how many more?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
right, for % of AIRFRAMES.

i don't know, but i'd bet pretty good money that the number of pilots and NFOs is something greater than the # of their respective platforms. i also don't know if those percentages of "excess" aircrew are the same across the spectrum of aircraft.

i'd guess pretty close, but i don't know for sure.

a related question that i have is how many NFOs are in the USMC? more than 150ish (1 per F-18d and 3 per Prowler), but how many more?

It's all in there. Page 3-2, to be exact.
1240 F/W, 2014 R/W, 394 NFO.