• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Enlisted Commissioning Programs

I didn't see any information for active duty (reservists go through the OSO) Marines interested in transitioning from the black collar club to the dark side, so I figured I'd put some info out there.

The two main programs are ECP/MCP and MECEP. I was an ECP guy, so that's what my experience was with, but the applications for both are very similar. The orders can be found in all their horrifyingly detailed, yet somehow vague, glory on the USMC.mil site under Marine Corps Orders. The search function doesn't work very well, so sometimes it's easier to just scroll down until you find what you're looking for. Also this provides an opportunity to see other random orders that might strike your interest.

Before we get started, it needs to be made absolutely clear that YOU will have to do all the leg work on the application. My OpsO at the time made a point of telling me that that's actually part of the application process, to see if you have the organizational skills and discipline to put the package together. People are happy to help with little things, but by and large you'll do all the work. It's not that bad, it's just a bit of a grind.

ECP/MCP: If you already have a degree, bachelors or associates, you should probably start with MCO 1040.43A, the ECP/MCP program. The order breaks the two programs out by whether you have a degree (ECP) or degree of completion (MCP). The order itself is fairly straightforward, but because it has a lot to it, I highly recommend breaking it up into chunks in order to aid in digestion. The requirements, more or less, are as follows: You must be a citizen
Not a habitual NJP collector or convicted felon
Not have previously FAILED an officer program (getting dropped for breaking your leg doesn't count)
Not have failed any military aviation training (NA or NFO types)
Have a passing score on your latest PFT (I don't think anybody in my OCS class who was ECP or MCP had lower than a 275 or so)
SAT above 1000 (based on the old two part SAT; I assume that it would be 1500 now), 45 on the ACT, or above 115 on the EL score on the ASVAB
Minimum of 4/6/4 on the ASTB (again, hopeful aviator types)
Age: 21 to 30 at time of commissioning for ground side, 21 to 27.5 for wing side
Aviation applicants require a full flight physical (make sure you make this ABSOLUTELY clear when you go into medical, otherwise you will spend months trying to unf**k your package. You'll probably spend a lot of time fighting with medical, anyway)

The application is broken into 12+ (depending waivers or supplemental information) enclosures, each of which can be treated as a distinct project. Here they are:
Cover letter: This is where you will request waivers. It's also the first thing they look at, so make a good impression
1. Application form: Pretty straightforward; answer everything fully and honestly, is my recommendation. If you need waivers for something, that will be dealt with between the cover letter, endorsements, and supplemental enclosures. This isn't like walking in off the street, if you have a good record since you've joined, they'll let an awful lot slide.
2. Data sheet
3. Academic Certification Form: You'll have to mail this off to your college and then harass them about it until they send it back to an address you can access. I had mine sent to my SNCOIC at the unit address and that worked out ok, although the mail spent some time in purgatory in S-1 before it found its way over to our shop.
4. Official Transcripts w/ Evidence of Degree: same as above
5. SF 88, SF 93, and Support Documents: They don't really use these forms anymore! They're the forms for your physical (flight or otherwise). This is absolutely vital that you make sure you're getting the correct forms filled out. And if people at Medical give you a hard time about it, don't be afraid to elevate it up the chain as far as you need to. This was my biggest source of headaches.
6. Report of Interview Board Report: Try not to interview with your OIC, your AAMO, and a random 1stLt. It looks bad. Really it should be convened by at least your BN or SQN OpsO (hopefully XO or CO).
7. Handwritten Statement: If it's handwritten it must be true, right?
8. Service Agreement: Just sign them
9. Photograph: Make sure to bring somebody with you to ensure that you look your best in your chucks. Former drill instructors are typically very good at this.
10. SRB, pages 3, 8a, 11, and 12: Not all of these pages are actually really still in your SRB; Admin will help you out.
11. MCTFS Screens BIR, BTR, ROS, and EDU
12. Supplemental enclosures. Enclosures 12 through whatever are where I put my letters of recommendation, SAT and ASTB official score reports, and security clearance adjudication.

MECEP: The order for MECEP is MCO 1560.15L and it runs essentially the same way as the ECP/MCP order. There are major differences in the way that the programs work, though. For MECEP you will have to also apply to colleges with NROTC programs. You will receive your normal pay and allowances, but not TA and you won't be able to access all of your MGIB (apparently they're working on trying to fix this). In addition to being a student, you will be simultaneously a staff member and a part of the NROTC program. That's my understanding, anyway. Unlike ECP/MCP where your application defines whether or not you'll go air, you will select through the NROTC program. Another difference is when you go to OCS; ECP/MCP candidates go directly to the 10 week OCS from their units, whereas MECEP candidates may do a full year prior to attending the six week Bulldog version of OCS. I believe that you will also be expected to finish your degree within three years.

There are a few differences in requirements, like this one (my favorite): Marital Status: Must be either married or single. You'll also need to track down information from your high school, which I'm sure can be painful. If you have not yet taken the SAT or ACT, you will need to do so. Keep in mind that you are essentially applying both to a college and to the Marine Corps to pay you to be there.

The order makes mention of the BOOST program in Newport, RI. The rumor mill has it that they're shutting that program down, but I don't know what they might be replacing it with.

There are fewer enclosures in the MECEP application, but it looks like it's mostly the same idea as above.

Hope all this helps.

phrogpilot73

Absolutely best first post EVER. You did forget one MCO: MCO 1530.11G - APPLICATION FOR NOMINATION TO THE U.S. NAVAL ACADEMY AND NAVAL ACADEMY PREPARATORY SCHOOL. Good info for guys who might be interested in that route.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Absolutely best first post EVER. You did forget one MCO: MCO 1530.11G - APPLICATION FOR NOMINATION TO THE U.S. NAVAL ACADEMY AND NAVAL ACADEMY PREPARATORY SCHOOL. Good info for guys who might be interested in that route.

I repped him for leaving it out.
He was actually trying to help prospective Marine O's by not giving them the information to make a decision they would regret later.

phrogpilot73

I repped him for leaving it out.
He was actually trying to help prospective Marine O's by not giving them the information to make a decision they would regret later.
Maybe, maybe not. I took the attitude that I applied to every program available to me, and made a decision after the dust settled...

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Maybe, maybe not. I took the attitude that I applied to every program available to me, and made a decision after the dust settled...

That was a thoughtful response. I was actually aiming more for a "LOL" or even a "Haha."

But I really did rep him :D

Crowbar

None
MECEP: The order for MECEP is MCO 1560.15L and it runs essentially the same way as the ECP/MCP order. There are major differences in the way that the programs work, though. For MECEP you will have to also apply to colleges with NROTC programs. You will receive your normal pay and allowances, but not TA and you won't be able to access all of your MGIB (apparently they're working on trying to fix this). In addition to being a student, you will be simultaneously a staff member and a part of the NROTC program. That's my understanding, anyway. Unlike ECP/MCP where your application defines whether or not you'll go air, you will select through the NROTC program. Another difference is when you -go to OCS; ECP/MCP candidates go directly to the 10 week OCS from their units, whereas MECEP candidates may do a full year prior to attending the six week Bulldog version of OCS. I believe that you will also be expected to finish your degree within three years.

There are fewer enclosures in the MECEP application

Overall nice job, but the bold parts above are inaccurate.

-I had no problem getting my VA benefits. If you're talking about people who put in the "kicker" not reaping the full reward, that's a different story. Any MECEP students/grads have problems getting their money?
-I've never heard of a MECEP being considered a staff member at their university.
-The MARADMIN specifies four years or less to finish your degree.
-You said an ECP/MCP application has 12 enclosures. For FY08, a MECEP application has 22 enclosures.

I know I've posted a lot of information about MECEP. I welcome people updating it with their experiences. Let's just make sure we avoid spreading the (in)famous bad gouge.

Overall nice job, but the bold parts above are inaccurate.

-I had no problem getting my VA benefits. If you're talking about people who put in the "kicker" not reaping the full reward, that's a different story. Any MECEP students/grads have problems getting their money?
-I've never heard of a MECEP being considered a staff member at their university.
-The MARADMIN specifies four years or less to finish your degree.
-You said an ECP/MCP application has 12 enclosures. For FY08, a MECEP application has 22 enclosures.

I know I've posted a lot of information about MECEP. I welcome people updating it with their experiences. Let's just make sure we avoid spreading the (in)famous bad gouge.

Sorry, I might have been a little unclear... That and I'm operating off of what friends who did the program say.
Staff: At the NROTC unit, not the university. So you may be charged with helping out with drill practice, running the little "welcome to ROTC" week, etc. I would assume that Crowbar would have a better handle on that, though.
Enclosures: The order shows 12 enclosures for MECEP, although each SRB and physical page is its own enclosure, as opposed to the ECP/MCP order, where they're lumped together. It looks like the order originally posted in 1994, so it's apparently been modified by MARADMIN since then. Good call to point that out.
Moolah: Just heard a lot of horror stories. My understanding is that not all of the MGIB money is available due to some vagaries of the system. It may well be the kicker they're talking about. Hopefully a recent MECEP student will give us the detailed skinny on MECEP.

Styx

Perfect... and I was just about to start a thread on MCP questions.

I'm new to the forum, so I'm glad I didn't make an idiotic first impression by not reading around a bit.

Being that I have prior college before enlisting and I just found out after taking several classes through University of Maryland University college that I have the 75 required semester hours (33 from prior college, 25 UMUC, 17 AP exams), I have printed out MCO 1040.43A and most of the applicable MARADMINs concerning MCP. I am working toward getting a package together for early next year's deadline.

Excellent post, but I still have a few questions.

SAT above 1000 (based on the old two part SAT; I assume that it would be 1500 now)

The newer, nicer looking MCP Nomination Form I got from www.usmc.mil (not the shitty typewriter one from MCO 1040.43A) still indicates only Math and Verbal SAT portions. Honestly I last took the SAT (the old one) in 2003 when I was junior in HS and don't really want to take it again. Since it doesn't indicate that you need the new SAT how can I find out for sure? Official reports will obviously indicate that I took it 4-5 years ago... Fortunately when I select colleges I shouldn't have this problem because several schools don't require SATs if you have over 30 credits for transfer.

Aviation applicants require a full flight physical (make sure you make this ABSOLUTELY clear when you go into medical, otherwise you will spend months trying to unf**k your package. You'll probably spend a lot of time fighting with medical, anyway)

If you have an FAA rating, (private or otherwise), is it REQUIRED that you bring it to your flight physical? I'm going to include it in my package, but does the flight surgeon need to see it?

5. SF 88, SF 93, and Support Documents: They don't really use these forms anymore! They're the forms for your physical (flight or otherwise). This is absolutely vital that you make sure you're getting the correct forms filled out. And if people at Medical give you a hard time about it, don't be afraid to elevate it up the chain as far as you need to. This was my biggest source of headaches.

Does the SF 88 include the FULL flight physical, or is it one of the "support documents?" MCO 1040.43A doesn't clarify that one well.

9. Photograph: Make sure to bring somebody with you to ensure that you look your best in your chucks. Former drill instructors are typically very good at this.

Hehe I have a pretty slammin' photo of me in my dress blue Alphas... it's really big too (like 11x14)... would that be too obnoxious?

12. Supplemental enclosures. Enclosures 12 through whatever are where I put my letters of recommendation, SAT and ASTB official score reports, and security clearance adjudication.

MCO 1040.43A indicates only a recommendation statement justifiable by your CO. How many LORs would they like to see?

Thanks again for a good, up-to-date post.

Styx

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time

We have three MECEPS in our unit and they're considered staff. For instance our SSgt serves as our Battalion Sgt Major and the MECEPs are permitted to operate our government vehicles (MIDN are not). Thy were also intructors at INDOC as was mentioned before.

Crowbar

None
We have three MECEPS in our unit and they're considered staff. For instance our SSgt serves as our Battalion Sgt Major and the MECEPs are permitted to operate our government vehicles (MIDN are not). Thy were also intructors at INDOC as was mentioned before.

That's battalion staff, not university staff. The original post was worded to sound like you would be considered a staff member by the university. That's what I'm talking about.

Edit: I should clarify here. There are three levels of "staff" relevant to this conversation.
University staff-self explanatory. As said before, I've never heard of a MECEP considered university staff.
Unit staff-the NROTC instructors. Again, I've never heard of a MECEP considered unit staff. Our unit staff was considered university staff.
Battalion staff-the billets given to the mids, OCs, and MECEPs, the students if you will. Yes you will probably end up with one of these billets once or twice during college. It doesn't mean you are permanent staff at the NROTC unit or the university, and it doesn't get you any kind of privileges or special treatment.

Thinking that you are considered "staff" by anybody other than the collective midshipmen at your school can be misleading.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Being permitted to drive the vehicle is an active duty thing, not a staff thing. The OC's can drive them too.

I just can't wait to commission so I can use the staff lounge - they have a coffee machine in there!!

stevew

Excellent post, very informative. I have a few questions maybe someone can help me out with. I was selected to OCS a couple years ago and never shipped (for family reasons). My OSO tells me not to bother applying anymore to OCS cause they wont take me. I am thinking of going the enlisted route and doing the ECP program. I know there are no guarantees but right now it is my best shot at being an officer. My question is, is my not shipping to OCS prior considered failing OCS, therefore disqualifying me from the ECP program? Also if anyone can suggest an alternative plan to me getting commissioned, since right now this seems to be my only option. Also, how soon after bootcamp can I put in my application to OCS. Do I have to wait till I am finished my MOS school or can I do it right after bootcamp?

TIA
-Steve

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Excellent post, very informative. I have a few questions maybe someone can help me out with. I was selected to OCS a couple years ago and never shipped (for family reasons). My OSO tells me not to bother applying anymore to OCS cause they wont take me. I am thinking of going the enlisted route and doing the ECP program. I know there are no guarantees but right now it is my best shot at being an officer. My question is, is my not shipping to OCS prior considered failing OCS, therefore disqualifying me from the ECP program? Also if anyone can suggest an alternative plan to me getting commissioned, since right now this seems to be my only option. Also, how soon after bootcamp can I put in my application to OCS. Do I have to wait till I am finished my MOS school or can I do it right after bootcamp?

TIA
-Steve

We say time and time again, DO NOT enlist for the sole purpose of pursuing a commission. I find it hard to believe that is your only option at the moment. I bet there is some other way. Why is your OSO saying not apply to OCS anymore?

stevew

I tried resubmitting a couple of times but was never reselected. It came to the point where he said it was not worth his time to resubmit my package again. I never quite understood why my package was never reselected though. Should I just throw in the towel or is it worth a shot to take the enlisted route?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I tried resubmitting a couple of times but was never reselected. It came to the point where he said it was not worth his time to resubmit my package again. I never quite understood why my package was never reselected though. Should I just throw in the towel or is it worth a shot to take the enlisted route?

IF you can't find any other routes, I would go for it. I am just not convinced this is the only route.