• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine EF-10B

HuggyU2

None
26 Nov 266.JPG26 Nov 265.JPG
Came across this EF-10B. I knew literally nothing about this aircraft type until I researched it. First night jet-to-jet kill was with one of these (actually, the F-3D... same jet).

Anyone here have time in on of these? Any good stories?

VMCJ-2: what do the C and the J mean? Or is it V"MC"J, like "Marine Corps"?

81montedriver

pilot
VMCJ= Marine Composite Reconaissance Squadron. The VMCJ squadrons were the predecessors to our current VMAQ squadrons. During the 1950's VMC and VMJ units were merged to form VMCJ squadrons. At the end of the Vietnam War, they all became VMAQ.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Came across this EF-10B. I knew literally nothing about this aircraft type until I researched it. First night jet-to-jet kill was with one of these (actually, the F-3D... same jet).

Anyone here have time in on of these?

Nope but I had a classmate who went bad and became a lawyer and the federal judge he worked for was an RO in them. He said the nickname of the jet was the "Drut" and well earned as it's performance lacked a lot.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I think the Marines used the EF-10 in VN until they got their 1st EA-6As - yes 2-seat "A" model EA-6s.

Flugelman

Contributor
Saw one on the line at Atsugi in '66. BIG airplane with puny J-34's, less than 7K thrust total. My Dad had occasion to fly them during the Korean War. He said he didn't like them due to the escape system, an escape chute vice ejecton seats.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It was said the Mig-15 could climb faster than it could dive. I think they bagged 5 or 6 Mig-15's at night. The Navy has an official probable with them but the aircraft was lost shortly after, probably succumbing to a Mig-15 right after their night kill.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Here's some pics of Druts in action:
Two VMF(N)-513 Douglas F3D-2 Skyknights in flight from the Korean airfield K-6 in 1955. Photo by E.S. "Mule" Holmberg (who lives in SoCal now...)
VMFN513F3D1955.jpg

Marine pilot and enlisted radar observer from VMFN-513 in Korea at K-4. Note the Mae Wests and poppy suits that the well-dressed mid-century aviator wore.
VMFN513pilotROKorea.jpg

VMF(N)-513 Douglas F3D Skyknight in a 1955 flight to NAF Atsugi.
VMFN513F3DsAtsugi1955.jpg

VMCJ-1 Douglas EF-10B (F3D-2Q before the 1962 designation changes). circa late 1960s.
VMCJ1F3D2Q.jpg

The Navy had its fling with the F3D, as shown in the VF-14 Tophatters bird on one of USS Intrepid's (CV-11) catapults in November 1954. The experiment didn't last too long, as the F3D wasn't suitable for carrier operations, one reason being the exhausts did damage to the teak decks of the Essex-class boats.
VF14F3DCVA11_1954.jpg

The Navy used the F3D as NAO (now called NFO) trainers at such places as NAS Glynco, Georgia and NAS Miramar (VF-121). This F3D-2T2 was attached to VFAW-3 at NAS North Island (the "T" meant it was a trainer and the "2" after it meant it was the second version of the F3D-2 converted into that role).
VFAW3F3D2T2.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
The F3D led to the proposed XF6D fleet defense fighter that was developed to use long range (100mi) radar and missiles to destroy incoming Russian bombers. In order to provide early warning for this proposal, the W2F Hawkeye was developed. The F6D was to be powered by TF30 turbofans. The program was killed in the early 60s by McNamara so that a new aircraft could be developed with increased commonality between USN and USAF, which of course led to the TFX and the F-111. When the F-111B died, the old F6D mission, motors and the development of its proposed weapons systems all went to the successor of the TFX: the F-14. And of course, under McNamara's new designation system the W2F became the E-2 Hawkeye.

F6D_1.jpg

carrier.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_F6D_Missileer
http://steeljawscribe.com/2007/11/23/flightdeck-friday-tfx-%E2%80%93-a-time-for-turkeys-pt-i

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Is there a good account/book of the evolution of the night fighter from end of WWII into the 60s era F-4?

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Is there a good account/book of the evolution of the night fighter from end of WWII into the 60s era F-4?

There was a series of articles in the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter 1988 and Summer 1989 issues of The Hook magazine by Barrett Tillman called "Night Hookers: A History of Carrier Night Operations" that covers a lot of the night fighter development. Give me a few days and I'll see if I can scan them into PDFs. Send me a PM and I'll let you know when I get it to you.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Remembering the EF-10B Skyknight - Cybermodeler Online

FWIW: This also throws light on the history of the dreaded drut!

I fubared this attempt to cut 'n paste. If you google "EF-10B" you'll find the article among the 1st 3 or 4 cited.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And of course, under McNamara's new designation system the W2F became the E-2 Hawkeye.
But for MacNamara, we'd have had airwings full of W2F-3s, F13Fs, F5H-3s, F9B-1 and-2s, A2F-5s, A2F-2Qs, and F9B-2Qs. Bonus geek points for those who can match the designations to what they are/were. :)