• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Replacing M249 SAW - H&K IAR Winner

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
HQMC Announced it's replacing all M249 SAW with the Heckler & Koch IAR:

Link Here

120209_saw_800.JPG

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I saw a version of this guy that was chambered for 6.8mm rounds. I thought that some SOF teams were going to start using it soon.

Lawman

None
Ok so the idea of replacing a high volume of fire weapon ends in the Corps selecting what is essentially a piston M4 with an M16a1 selector switch in it....

-200 round belt gone in favor of a 30 round mag. (maybe just maybe somebody gets smart and gets beta mags for it)

-Open bolt allowing for long sustained rates of fire without excesive heat replaced with a closed bolt system.

-Barrel that cannot be changed out quickly eliminating this weapon from operating as a true Machine Gun

Well that ought to be interesting. I could understand bringing this into the system and adding it to the toolbox but a 1 for 1 swap out of all the 249s for this just seems like a terrible idea.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Considering that the original SAW procurement was to fill a "room clearing" role I think this weapon with a 100rnd drum would be much better suited to that. If they want a true belt fed weapon for the battlefield then the M-240 is the logical candidate.

On a side note, it is good to see that they are finally replacing the POS that is the SAW.

flopper

They should still be using the M60; but in house and cave clearing ops, all that is needed is the AA-12

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Considering that the original SAW procurement was to fill a "room clearing" role I think this weapon with a 100rnd drum would be much better suited to that. If they want a true belt fed weapon for the battlefield then the M-240 is the logical candidate.

On a side note, it is good to see that they are finally replacing the POS that is the SAW.

The 240 is too big for a squad sized unit. I like the idea of a full auto, M-16 type weapon with 100-150 rounds. The open bolt was too unreliable for smaller units. When you've got a majority of your firepower resting on the shoulders of one Marine, you need that weapon to work. All the time, every time. I'm also not too worried about the changing of the barrels. You have to put A LOT of rounds through a barrel before you need to worry about changing it out. And when you're getting shot at, are you really going to stop and take the time to switch 'em out? Nah, you're too busy killing. Plus that extra barrel is just more weight to lug around and more gear to lose. Our grunts are overloaded as it is. Anything that lightens the load, is a good thing in my book.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Would have made more sense to me to introduce an improved SAW, or just equip everyone with the new weapon. What about this weapon makes it only suitable for one Marine per squad?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
They should still be using the M60; but in house and cave clearing ops, all that is needed is the AA-12

I can't believe you even mentioned the M60. Talk about a weapon that is even more worthless/unreliable than the SAW.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like there might of been some politics behind this decision.

Gunner Eby has been pushing this for close to a decade now and there are Marine tests that have established that an auto AR has a vastly higher hit probability than a SAW.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Well that ought to be interesting. I could understand bringing this into the system and adding it to the toolbox but a 1 for 1 swap out of all the 249s for this just seems like a terrible idea.

It will not be a 1 for 1 swap. According to the Marine's Times, they plan on buying 4,100 IAR's and reducing the Corps' SAW inventory from 10,000 to 8,000. So it will be a supplemental addition.

The Firearm Blog has a series of posts offering a pretty good summary of the program.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/tag/iar/

I've been somewhat following this and the decision is surprising to me. The -416 entry is the only one that fires from a closed bolt, which should improve accuracy but also dramatically increases the chance of cookoffs. The FN entrant seemed particularly apt as it automatically switched from closed-to -open bolt as the weapon's temperature climbs.

picture_4_20-tfb-tm.png

FN Entry (SCAR-related)

Colt's AR-15 based model had some ridiculous huge heatsink forward of the receiver

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

The M60 is a mediocre weapon. Its modern replacement, the 240, is based on the German MG42 from WWII, and is vastly superior.

Would have made more sense to me to introduce an improved SAW, or just equip everyone with the new weapon. What about this weapon makes it only suitable for one Marine per squad?

There should be 3 per squad.

Remember the difference in use between a machinegun and a rifle. The machinegun is valuable as direct fire, but its biggest contribution is to be able to suppress the enemy so the rest of the unit can manuever.

The riflemen are there to provide aimed fire. As they kept saying in TBS, "There is no burst fire in the Marine Corps!" If everyone is spraying lead, you're burning a lot of ammo, probably with not many hits.